NYCOM vs. UMDNJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darkskies

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have the opportunity to choose between these two schools. I know that going to the cheapest school should be my first option in which case UMDNJSOM clearly wins. I would be an OOS student so for the first year I would pay OOS tuition and then IS tuition for the next three years unless they have changed this policy?

However, my initial preference is NYCOM due to family relations,closeness to NYC,etc.
Which would you choose and which is the best choice, given that I should aim for the school with the best clinicals, reputation for residency placements,board scores, and overall cost? Please reply as soon as possible as I am stuck deliberating this decision. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen lots of poor reviews for NYCOM, with one person even going so far as to describe it as feeling like a Caribbean school on US soil. UMDNJ isn't that far away and the students there seem very happy. Plus the instate tuition will probably end up saving you more money anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
UMDNJ in a heart beat. It is arguable one of the best DO schools you could have gotten into. NYCOM simply cannot compete here.

Thanks for the advice. So, UMDNJ is definitively the no-brainer here?