NYCOMOLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adas

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone knows the nycomola web site please post on this site. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry, but no one in their right mind from NYCOM will post this information. We only share this information through word of mouth with other NYCOM students. In addition, I ask all NYCOM students keep this information confidential as well.

What's the big idea! The students on this web site are all pre-meds or med students. Maybe students who plan to attend NYCOM should be allowed to see the student web site. You need to take a valium. Relax already.

Members don't see this ad :)
confidential?!?

it's not exactly classified secret info when the all NYCOM professors know about it. it's basically hand-me down tests of yesteryear from 2nd year students to the 1st year students. i don't see what the big deal is about it anyways?

unfortunately... the website that you're looking for is down and i don't think it's coming back up soon.

Happy: "You need to take a valium. Relax already."

Wo! There is no need to get personal, HAPPY. If you have checked the other NYCOMOLA post, you would have learned that this issue is not simply about old exams. Most first year students will learn how to get copies, and I will probably be the first person to help them out. This issue concerns the reputation of some of my classmates. Secondly, Robert, I was simply giving a warning to my fellow classmates who use this post because once again, I am concerned about our school's and classes' image. If that's too much to you, then that's too bad.

By the way, I'm just curious. How did the professors learn about the web site? Also, do the old exams help? Do professors repeat exams. Pleas reply ASAP. Thanks

Some OLAs have been extremely helpful, and some have been completely useless. As I mentioned before, a first year student's best bet is to simply ask your fellow classmates. You would be pretty amazed how word spreads, and sometimes, they do fall into the wrong hands (the course director's).
eek.gif

[This message has been edited by euhsa (edited 05-10-2000).]

By the way, a few professors have been known to repeat exams. However, something like 33% of the questions must be new according to school policy.

Where did it say that one third of the questions had to be new? I've personally never seen a copy of the school policy concerning the breakdown for tests. I think it's pretty much up to the individual professor to decide what he or she wants to do when making up the test questions. I doubt that they would put the time in to make sure that they didn't exceed the 33% limit. Besides, if this were the rule, it sure isn't enforced.

Who needs old questions when it's easier to cheat? All I need to do is go to the bathroom with all the other people with small bladders and read the notes people hide there.
biggrin.gif

the bathroom?!?!?

is this like the rest-stop scene from "There's something about Mary" where people go to the bathroom to have gay sex?
redface.gif

How can you be sure you won't get caught using the bathroom? Are you guys being clowns or does the bathroom scene really work? Listen I've gotten accepted to NJCOM and NYCOM, which one is better? Which students are more open to sharing old exams and exam materials. Reply ASAP.

Man... Happy, and you are the one telling me to take Valium? They're only kidding about the bathroom thing. By the way, I suggest that you go through at least four months of med school before you start ripping on us.

All kidding aside, if you are a Jersey resident, I would probably choose UMDNJ-SOM because of the money issue. If you are not, I would choose NYCOM because our school's clinical affiliations probably have the edge. Other things that UMDNJ SOM has going for them is smaller classes, superior facilities, and problem based learning. On the other hand, NYCOM students have built a favorable reputation among many hospitals in the NY area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pepsee: What exams have you been taking? There wasn't one exam where more than 66% of the exam were repeats from yesteryear. Otherwise, the exam would not be considered legit. All right, I must admit that this information was hearsay. However, too many people from different social groups have affirmed this, and you can say that public affirmation does not confirm truth. However, I believe that this is school policy.

euhsa, I wasn't kidding about the bathroom.
There be massive cheatin' at NYCOM.

Euhsa: I never claimed to have taken a test with less than 66% new questions, I was simply questioning your source of information. I know there are a lot of rumors that circulate around and was wondering if this is just something that could be proven. I guess it's just another case of gossip that has become truth because a bunch of people "say" it's true. It's just like all the other rumors out there about this mythical school policy that everyone seems to know by heart, but has never seen.

So if an exam is less than 66% new it's not legit? That makes no sense. If that were true, in a few more years there won't be anymore tests since all the possible questions have been used up. Just because the question was asked a few years ago, doesn't mean the material being tested is any less valuable.

You guys are complicating the answers. I just want to know if the old exams are enough to get by and if the bathroom scene is happening. Simple, not complicated.

To give you a simple answer: no and yes

1)No, you cannot possibly get by with just the old tests. Even if you did, that's not going to help you pass the boards. And just to tell you now, there is no way you can blow off two years of studying and have any hope of passing the boards. But on the brighter side, the old tests are sometimes helpful as a STUDY AIDE. They let you have an idea of how the test is structured and what to expect in terms of questions (let's face it, sometimes you can study like crazy and still do bad if the professor asks the questions in a way you never expected or have never seen.)

2)Yes, well maybe, there is cheating going on. Sometimes it's pretty crafty, like the bathroom thing. But of course this is only from what I have heard. But then there is the blatant cheating that happens right in front of my eyes. I mean sometimes the whispering is so loud that I have a hard time concentrating on my test. Don't get me wrong, it's not like the whole class cheats. It's probably just a few people. But still, it's pretty annoying.

So to sum it up:
Don't depend on the old tests, and people cheat (it's just human).

What is up with 66% of the exams being from last year and previous years. I took med school biochem this year and they gave a huge packet of old exams to every student. That way the field was level. Everybody had old tests. They were helpful because you saw the format of the tests and what general topics were important- but they were NOT the same questions. That would seriously get me pissed off that students who know upperclassmen would get answers to exams, thus screwing everyone else. Why don't people complain to make old exams available for everybody and make the professors get off their lazy asses and write new tests?

I am not opposed to repeating old exams. I've been told on the Boards they repeat. I think the old exams should be available to everyone. Medical school should not have to be as hard as passing a stone!!!!!!

happy- F.Y.I. The reason old exams are such an issue at NYCOM is because we cannot see our exams after they are graded. We get an email with a breakdown of subject areas we got wrong on an exam. Some people have access to exams that are 1-2 years old.
NY or NJ?
If money is not an issue I would choose NYCOM. It's not too far from the city so there is more stuff to do. But, you won't have any time to do anything but study.

Hey, I am a bit confused about Mafanah saying you will not have any time to do anything other than studying at NYCOM!?! I happen to be a first year student at NYCOM, and I am happy to say that in addition to stuyding for all of my classes, I have time for many many other activities and functions. For example, just the other night, I designed a new wing which could be added to the Chrysler building in NYC. Furthermore, everynight for several hours, I lift very heavy weights, and run around outside for extremely long amounts of time. Sometimes during these runs, I yell and scream at the top of my lungs for not much of any apparent reason. Also, sometimes I go up onto my roof, and work on the shingles or the siding. Nothing better than working on a roof on a sunny day. Furthermore, I often find myself under the hood of my car, getting my hands dirty and dropping in a few new plugs, cables, or other wires. And last but not least, I am very busy feeding the local town cats, squirrels, birds, racoons, marmots, geckos, sabertoothed tigers, 3 toed sloths, and the homeless. So as you can see, I attend NYCOM and I have PLENTY of time to attend to other activies. Of course, what I have not yet told you is that I sleep approximately 5 hours each month, and I live on a steady diet of coffee, amphetamines, bubble yum, caffeine pills, pixie sticks, moutain dew shots, tree sap, and the occasional squirt of afrin. :) :)
-your most pleasant Liquid (grin)