NYCUD interview invite now!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolfram

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey hey, I was just offered an interview (for a waitlist) today, yah, the first day of AADSAS :-|

i can't decide if its worth going for next thursday. i'd have to miss 3 hours of class. and its for a waitlist. and im just about to reapply. but its for a waitlist.

anyhoo, im situated in toronto, if it matters.

whatchya think? is it worth going?

PS. sorry about the NYUCD typo

Members don't see this ad.

Might be good, if not for this cycle... I would think it may help for next cycle.

If they like you, and can't offer you a spot for this cycle, they might just tell you that they'd like to offer you a spot for the following cycle. I don't know how that works though.

There's a reason they would like to offer you an interview invite this late in the game, and it's because they want you. I would go.

Members don't see this ad :)
why take a chance...give it a shot

thanks fellas. just needed to reaffirm my opinion.

thanks fellas. just needed to reaffirm my opinion.

Nothing would say you don't want their school more than turning down the offer. If you were planning on applying there again this cycle, I would not turn that interview down.

From my understanding, NYU has a pretty active waitlist... I wouldn't write off your chances for being accepted this year if they like you during the interview.

From my understanding, NYU has a pretty active waitlist... I wouldn't write off your chances for being accepted this year if they like you during the interview.

I sure hope you're right... I'm currently on that list and its my only shot at dents this fall.

Yeah, I'd go to that interview but it sucks knowing you're going for a waitlist spot.

I sure hope you're right... I'm currently on that list and its my only shot at dents this fall.

Yeah, I'd go to that interview but it sucks knowing you're going for a waitlist spot.

Hey! Is it true that there is no rejection after interview at NYU? I'm not sure, but it seems like this to me. I have never heard any rejection after interview at NYU. Basically, when you get invitation, you will be (at least) in the waiting list. Am I right?????

Nothing would say you don't want their school more than turning down the offer. If you were planning on applying there again this cycle, I would not turn that interview down.

that is certainly a fair interpretation but i hope someone there realizes this is a poor cost-benefit situation to offer a candidate. My application has improved for the new cycle. i'd rather wait 6 months or so and have the new file considered for a seat rather than the old file for a waitlist.

nyu does give rejection post interview.. unfortunately i had a friend who did receive a rejection. He had very good stats.. high gpa/dat and i'm not sure why he would get rejected.

NYU has some late withdrawls as other schools accept off the waitlist (two people withdrew last week that I know of...). Just make sure you dazzle them during the interview and you'll probably get a high ranking on the waitlist. If you don't get in off the waitlist, your app may be favored for the next year, but they'll still go based off your new stats. It's just that when they review your new app, they'll see that they liked you the previous year. Don't hesitate to start your new app to reapply though... make sure you cover your bases!

Alco-- you may want to keep checking on your waitlist status... make it clear that you really want to go there... it helps.

NYU has some late withdrawls as other schools accept off the waitlist (two people withdrew last week that I know of...). Just make sure you dazzle them during the interview and you'll probably get a high ranking on the waitlist. If you don't get in off the waitlist, your app may be favored for the next year, but they'll still go based off your new stats. It's just that when they review your new app, they'll see that they liked you the previous year. Don't hesitate to start your new app to reapply though... make sure you cover your bases!

Alco-- you may want to keep checking on your waitlist status... make it clear that you really want to go there... it helps.

Good advice. I've already finished my apps for 2009 cycle except for LOE and transcripts. I call Helen once or twice a week at NYU to check up on my status. She told me that they don't "rank" candidates on the waitlist, which was kind of confusing to me. Hopefully I don't need to submit this 2009 application.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that you're even questioning whether you should attend the interview or not baffles me.

Do you want to go to dental school or not?

jb!:)

Good advice. I've already finished my apps for 2009 cycle except for LOE and transcripts. I call Helen once or twice a week at NYU to check up on my status. She told me that they don't "rank" candidates on the waitlist, which was kind of confusing to me. Hopefully I don't need to submit this 2009 application.

its true. they mostly pick and choose from the pool depending on who has the highest DAT scores..GPA..outstanding extracurriculars etc..its not rigidly ranked

The fact that you're even questioning whether you should attend the interview or not baffles me.

Do you want to go to dental school or not?

jb!:)

of course i do, but i imagine it being like someone asking you if you want the nosebleed seats today, or the behind the dugout seats/box seats a week from now. in either case you'll go to the game, but one is more worthwhile than the other.

of course i do, but i imagine it being like someone asking you if you want the nosebleed seats today, or the behind the dugout seats/box seats a week from now. in either case you'll go to the game, but one is more worthwhile than the other.

flight and hotel to nyc also costs major scratch..thats another important factor. not everyone is baller enough to put it on their amex without blinking...especially for a waitlist spot.

i thought the best i could have hoped for was an endless waitlist position but they just skipped straight to an offer of admission. 8-|

...pretty unbelievable. good thing i went to the interview! let that be a lesson to all you!

i thought the best i could have hoped for was an endless waitlist position but they just skipped straight to an offer of admission. 8-|

...pretty unbelievable. good thing i went to the interview! let that be a lesson to all you!

congrats man. will we be seeing you there?

Congrats man! So the nosebleed seats aren't that bad afterall, huh? haha... I have to ask... had you already submitted your app for next year?

yah, im definitely accepting.

i haven't submited my application yet either! i've been slow rewriting my PS thankfully, so i've completely lucked out.

yah, im definitely accepting.

i haven't submited my application yet either! i've been slow rewriting my PS thankfully, so i've completely lucked out.

AADSAS submission on Dec. 1st

WHAT are you? :love::thumbup:

Haha.... nice! See you there in the fall!

Wow... guess they really liked you. I have similar stats to yours (20 all across cDAT, higher sci GPA) but still waitlisted! Maybe you interviewed better than me! According to Helen, the class is now full. It is pretty unbelievable that you got a straight up acceptance without the suspense or disappointment of being waitlisted. To be honest, I've already given up on NYUCD. Congrats on the acceptance!

thanks everyone! i'd like to credit my good looks but heh, i dunno. they liked something i said.

does NYU send out some package once they receive my deposit that tells me what I need to do, where and when?

Yeah, once they get your deposit, they should send you some papers... it'll have health and immunization stuff (you'll need get a physical and some antibody titers done), info on how to activate your NYUhome account, computer requirements, and some advice on how to go about finding housing.

ah, excellent! thanks :-D

wow, thats amazing. Congrats wolf. cant believe you were having second thoughts about going lol :thumbup:. see you there.

oh, pls add yourself to our list on the NYU c/o2012 thread.

Wow... guess they really liked you. I have similar stats to yours (20 all across cDAT, higher sci GPA) but still waitlisted! Maybe you interviewed better than me! According to Helen, the class is now full. It is pretty unbelievable that you got a straight up acceptance without the suspense or disappointment of being waitlisted. To be honest, I've already given up on NYUCD. Congrats on the acceptance!

why give up? waitlist moves pretty well there..