Nyee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ablumoon

=)
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone who got interviewed there or knows the program well, know what they are particularly looking for in candidates? The majority of their candidates do not seem to come from top 10 schools, but do they look for >250 board scores etc? Also, any advice on those seeking to do an elective there?

Members don't see this ad.

i just took a quick peek at their residents and it seems that most of them either came from good schools or from the NY schools with a few here and there from the midwest and west coast.

Where can I get this information, for NYEE and other schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
At the Infirmary - you "work." That is to say it is a very busy clinical program with lots of clinic work and surgical work.

The program is not necessarily interested in whether you came from a top 10 school or not. They want you to be smart, dedicated, and enthusiastic about ophtho - and willing to work hard.

The Infirmary was founded to serve the poor. And there are lots of patients in NYC who need care - and the Infirmary provides it.

I recommend a student rotation there just to see if you like the environment and the people. It will look good on almost any application - to all but the top 10 programs. But the top 10 don't necessarily care about away rotations as much as you being from a top 10 med school.

Every program wants great USMLE scores and grades. Mid-tier programs want that plus a publication and/or some rotations. Top tiers want that plus a top 10 med school (less emphasis on the away rotation).

Do as many away rotations as you can. It gives you a "flavor" for the "personality" of different programs so you can pick the one that fits your personality best.

Best of Luck,

Stark

What is NYEE reputation anyway? I never really heard of it until I applied.