NYIT Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Balliamo402

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Hope things are going well for the application process! So I woke up to an invite for an interview at NYIT & I'm excited & so nervous!

I see that were a few attempts at starting an NYIT thread regarding interviews, but I didn't really gather much from those, soo... If anyone has interviewed at NYIT, would you please share a bit of the experience? Was it a group interview with more than one candidate, or was it just you with a faculty member/professor? What types of questions were you asked? Was it hard to find the building?

Any bit of insight would be appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your interview invitation! The interview process was not scary at all...and the building is not hard to find. It's right near the NYCOM (med school) building. But make sure you account for traffic (not sure where you are coming from). During my interview, they took us on a tour of the facilities (library, cafe, anatomy lab, PT building, etc), and then we met one on one with a faculty member who had my transcript with her, and just asked general questions about me, what I was interested in, why I wanted to go here, etc. It really is laid back, but remember to answer honestly and dress conservatively (I wore a pant suit). The professors there are really nice and so is the head of the programs. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your feedback. Hearing that puts me a bit more at ease. :) I definitely plan to give myself extra time & leave early to minimize chaos that morning! Thanks again & all the best to you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey balliamo i got an interview too. did you respond to the e-mail to make the RSVP?

Congrats! No, not yet. I plan to RSVP this weekend (just want to be sure I'm picking the more convenient date). Have you?

i replied to the e-mail, but i didnt get confirmation. ill probably give them a call on monday.

I got an interview as well. I don't think they send a confirmation because i didn't get one either.

I haven't received any confirmation as yet (replied yesterday afternoon).

Hey! Congrats on the interview. Do you mind sharing your stats? Also, did you guys apply through early admission?

I just got an interview at NYIT today. My application literally just got mailed on tuesday. Im really excited however I live in Illinois and I'm not sure if I should go to the interview because I'm scared they might just give interviews to anyone that meet minimum requirements so I'm not sure if its totally worth it since I just was at a 3.1 for my prereq gpa and a 3.3 for my cumulative. Is this the case?

Not sure if thats the case...however, I would go if I were you. What if this ends up being your only interview? Not trying to be pessimistic, and I obviously don't know where else you applied, but PT school is competitive. Unless you are positive you don't want to go there, you should go on all the interviews you get invited to

I am thinking the same thing. I got an email today for an interview too! It says November 2nd or the 9th.
Does anyone know if this program just invites everyone who meets the minimum criteria? I am asking because I will be coming from Michigan for this interview and want to know if I even have a chance at being accepted to this program.
Here are my stats:

University gpa: 3.34
Pre req gpa: 3.3
Gre (I don't think they take that here): 159 v/159 q 4.0 writing

Ive been working in out patient pt for 5 years, full time. I have also worked in home care and observed PTs there too for about 1 year.
Also I have shadowed at 2 other hospitals with about 50 hours inpatient.

Also, I volunteer as an exercise instructor in my spare time at a hospital.
I am treasurer of my university pre pt club.

NYIT was not my first choice, but with my gpa being lower I applied everywhere. Please!!! Some feedback is needed!! I don't know what to do! I don't want to waste my time and money traveling all the way there and then realizing that the average accepted gpa is over a 3.5 or something. Does anyone know anybody who got in here & know their stats?

Sorry for the typos.. I literally just read my email and am typing this on my phone...

Members don't see this ad :)
One more factor... My ptcas cumm gpa is lower than cumm universitg gpa: like a 3.1
Due to a bad freshman/sophomore transition

But all my upper level courses junior and senior year are over a 3.6

Hey guys! I was also invited to the interview at NYIT and am in the same boat as many of you with your PTCAS grade point average. I was also debating whether I should even go to this interview because it seems that they interview a lot of people who barely make their requirements. I've also interviewed and will be interviewing at two of my top choices (U Baltimore and Temple). I feel very confident about my interview at Baltimore so I was debating over whether I should take the day off from work to go to a school that is not a top choice. I think I decided that it would be prudent to attend because there is a chance that I will be rejected by both of my top choice schools. My desire to become a PT far out ways my hesitancy to attend the interview. If anything else, it is a chance to take a look at a program that I know little about, meet more DPT applicants (which is always a blast) and get more confident in interview situations which, as a future health professional, will be important when job searching.

Good luck to everyone!

actually had a chance to talk to the pt admissions office about the process for interviews. she said definitely not everyone that has minimum requirements makes the interviews its actually a pretty small percentage considering that 800 people apply to the program. also, rolling admissions probably helped our process out as well. i was really thinking about it and i am going because they seem like they want to be good stewards of our time and money as well as their own. but yeah, this interview will be a good experience regardless.

it was great. very laid back staff. the one on one interview was not intimidating at all

I have an interview this friday too. Good luck everyone and relax! :) Coming from sj so I will be leaving early

Good luck to everyone interviewing this Friday! I was looking forward to meeting everyone but I will most likely cancel my interview.

it was great. very laid back staff. the one on one interview was not intimidating at all

Can you tell me if there is an essay after the interview? How many minutes do we have for the essay? Thanks.

There was no time limit for the essay. You do have to stop when they call you in for the one on one interview, but you can always return to it after you come out

By the way did anybody hear back yet? She said 7-10 days? It's been 8 days fr on my interview and I'm getting nervous!!

I interviewed on 10/12. In my e-mail about the interview they said I could come 10/12 or 10/19 so I'm assuming they are going through the 10/19 interviewees before getting back to all of us. If there's no e-mail by Wednesday I'm going to start getting nervous.

Has anyone heard back yet?

I too have an interview on November 9th for NYIT. Let me know how you did! I am so nervous for this interview, any more input on what types of questions they asked you would be most helpful. Thank you and I hope you hear back with good news!

got the package in the mail yesterday! Good luck to everyone :)

Just got the denied letter in the mail from NYIT, it makes me a bit uneasy but I'm not getting discouraged and I'm gonna just keep trying. Good luck to the rest of you NYIT applicants!

I just got an interview invitation as well! But it's on Jan 11. I feel like this is a very late interview date :(

I have an interview next month at NYIT :) How long did yours take with the tour and everything inclucded? I need to fly back asap that same day and am nervous to book the flight too soon...

First of all, congrats on the interview! NYIT only admits 40 students out of 800 applicants. That's pretty amazing you got this far.

Also remember NYIT is a very expensive private school and cost of living in Manhattan is absurd. The cost of living is out of control and you will be paying at least 36k a year in expenses. The average rental apartment here is $3k a month.

I have an interview next month at NYIT :) How long did yours take with the tour and everything inclucded? I need to fly back asap that same day and am nervous to book the flight too soon...

I have an interview as well. What all goes on during the interview at NYIT?

Does NYIT send us a confirmation to let us know they received our application? Also, for those that got the interview, do you mind telling me your stats? Thank you! :)

Does NYIT send us a confirmation to let us know they received our application? Also, for those that got the interview, do you mind telling me your stats? Thank you! :)

I guess not...I have submitted on 9/17 and so far haven't heard anything. It just says revised on 10/1 in my ptcas. Does that mean anything?

i interviewed on 10/18 and received an acceptance email a few hours after the interview. actual interview lasted about 4-5 mins. (info session>student panel>tour>essay>interview) 9-12pm. the director is very straightforward and it seems like a great program.

When was your app mailed? And do you mind sharing your stats? Thanks!

end of august and 3.4gpa. they had about 10 spots left and there were 25+applicants when i interviewed.

I just submitted my application to NYIT now. Am I at a severe disadvantage for not submitting it at the end of September like I originally planned? I decided to retake the GRE, which was the reason I didn't submit it earlier.

Congrat!! I interview this Friday at 9am. Will you describe the student panels and some of the questions they asked? Also, how was the 4-5 min interview like?
Thanks

Once again, congratulations on all your hard work.

i interviewed on 10/18 and received an acceptance email a few hours after the interview. actual interview lasted about 4-5 mins. (info session>student panel>tour>essay>interview) 9-12pm. the director is very straightforward and it seems like a great program.

Congrat!! I interview this Friday at 9am. Will you describe the student panels and some of the questions they asked? Also, how was the 4-5 min interview like?
Thanks

Once again, congratulations on all your hard work.

the director (dr. friel) talks about the program and the faculty. the students don't ask questions, they come in to allow the applicants to ask questions about the program. tour of the building and anatomy lab. writing assessment (during this they randomly call on people in the middle of their essay to do interviews). most others i saw lasted 15-20 mins. i don't know why mine was only a few mins. they ask why PT, why NYIT, explain some poor grades and if i had any questions. good luck!!

To those that were interviewed for NYIT DPT on November 1st 2013, did you get a response yet? They said it might take a week, so does this mean I am rejected?

To those that were interviewed for NYIT DPT on November 1st 2013, did you get a response yet? They said it might take a week, so does this mean I am rejected?

Not yet, but if anyone has please let us know. Thanks

Ok I feel a bit better knowing no one has heard, whether rejected or accepted..

You probably won't find out for a few more days or longer. They are still waiting on deposits for offers they have out. Once those kids have accepted or denied the offer then they can make new offers. Not to make it sound worse, but when I went to interview on 10/18 they said they had about 10 spots left to offer. They max out at 40 and half or less of those spots are guaranteed to 3+3 students.

Hey everyone, I am going to an interview this Friday and I heard we will have to write an essay. Can anyone elaborate on this? What might the topic be and do they expect a 5 paragraph essay? I've never heard of writing an essay at an interview. I guess I am confused since we already wrote an essay for the application.

topic is weird, like if you had superhero powers what would it be and how would you use it, something really different. they want nothing about pt mentioned at all. i don't think they read them.

So basically it's an interview question that we have to write out instead of talk about. Also, for anyone who cares, I just received an email from the school saying there are only 2 spots left! No pressure...

Has anyone who interviewed on November 1st heard back either way?

Has anyone been accepted that decided they are going to NYIT for class of 2013. I put down my deposit.