NYIT vs Stonybrook Southampton

Started by Anthony 44
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Anthony 44

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was accepted into NYIT and Stonybrook's Southampton programs but I'm having a really tough time deciding on which program I should choose. Anyone on here have a recommendation or any information that might aid me in my decision?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I never looked at the exact tuitions recently....but I applied to both schools last year, and when I did the math Stony Brook Southampton was cheaper....are you a NYS resident?
 
Last edited:
I just looked at the Tuition of both schools without including all the other expenses and fees....and Stony Brook was around $3k cheaper per year
 
Maybe Im not calculating the tuitions right but when I look at the breakdown, SB is around 113,000 total where as NYIT comes out to about 105,000 total.

I asked SB's admissions committee about the tuition cost breakdown, and they gave me vague answers. There is no reason why people should have discrepancies calculating tuition and I wish it was written clearly. I had to look at the curriculum page to find the credits and refer to a PDF with the per credit rate to find the information. Needless to say, it was not straightforward. I really appreciate schools that offer transparency and state the total amount for the three years. @Anthony 44 How are you calculating the tuition?

For a NYS resident, each semester including fees is 10,433.00. I am assuming this is for the fall and spring semesters, and there are 6 total. 10,433.00 x 6 = 62,598.00
I can't imagine the summer semesters, which have fewer credits than the fall/spring semesters to be valued the same so I calculated tuition using the per credit rate table:
----first summer is 8 credits: 7029.20
----second summer is 8 credits: 7029.20
----third summer is 8.5 credits and I rounded up to 9 credits (because we all know institutions like to rack up charges 😱): 7906.60

Now add it all up: 62,598.00 + 7029.20 + 7029.20 + 7906.60 = a grand total of $84563 for tuition alone.

This is the best I could do to estimate tuition cost, and maybe I am not calculating it right.....

 
For those that have heard back from Stonybrook, did they email you? I received an email saying that they were still deciding but since then I haven't heard anything :/
 
@ma na ma na They called and said to look out for an email. Good luck! BTW, can someone confirm whether I calculated SB's tuition correctly? Seems like too much for a state school.