NYIT vs Stonybrook Southampton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anthony 44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted into NYIT and Stonybrook's Southampton programs but I'm having a really tough time deciding on which program I should choose. Anyone on here have a recommendation or any information that might aid me in my decision?

Members don't see this ad.

I would choose Stony Brook....it has a better reputation and is much cheaper.

I would choose Stony Brook....it has a better reputation and is much cheaper.

Maybe Im not calculating the tuitions right but when I look at the breakdown, SB is around 113,000 total where as NYIT comes out to about 105,000 total.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never looked at the exact tuitions recently....but I applied to both schools last year, and when I did the math Stony Brook Southampton was cheaper....are you a NYS resident?

Last edited:
I never looked at the exact tuitions recently....but I applied to both schools last year, and when I did the math Stony Brook Southhampton was cheaper....are you a NYS resident?
yes I live on long island

I just looked at the Tuition of both schools without including all the other expenses and fees....and Stony Brook was around $3k cheaper per year

Maybe Im not calculating the tuitions right but when I look at the breakdown, SB is around 113,000 total where as NYIT comes out to about 105,000 total.

I asked SB's admissions committee about the tuition cost breakdown, and they gave me vague answers. There is no reason why people should have discrepancies calculating tuition and I wish it was written clearly. I had to look at the curriculum page to find the credits and refer to a PDF with the per credit rate to find the information. Needless to say, it was not straightforward. I really appreciate schools that offer transparency and state the total amount for the three years. @Anthony 44 How are you calculating the tuition?

For a NYS resident, each semester including fees is 10,433.00. I am assuming this is for the fall and spring semesters, and there are 6 total. 10,433.00 x 6 = 62,598.00
I can't imagine the summer semesters, which have fewer credits than the fall/spring semesters to be valued the same so I calculated tuition using the per credit rate table:
----first summer is 8 credits: 7029.20
----second summer is 8 credits: 7029.20
----third summer is 8.5 credits and I rounded up to 9 credits (because we all know institutions like to rack up charges :eek:): 7906.60

Now add it all up: 62,598.00 + 7029.20 + 7029.20 + 7906.60 = a grand total of $84563 for tuition alone.

This is the best I could do to estimate tuition cost, and maybe I am not calculating it right.....

For those that have heard back from Stonybrook, did they email you? I received an email saying that they were still deciding but since then I haven't heard anything :/

@ma na ma na They called and said to look out for an email. Good luck! BTW, can someone confirm whether I calculated SB's tuition correctly? Seems like too much for a state school.