NYITCOM Academic Scholars Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

q.neurona

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be attending NYITCOM in the Fall. I am interested in this program, anyone who is in it please tell me about your experience. Is it worth it? What are the pros/cons? Do you feel that it helped you for a career in academic medicine? How competitive is this program? How much money do they credit you for? For example- they said it is a "full scholarship" that covers your last three years. However, does it only cover tuition? Or does it also cover living expenses?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You mean is it worth it for competitive residencies and for a career in ACGME academic medicine? If so, I think you will find that such activities (there are several programs similar to this at several DO programs) are completely meaningless and a waste of your time and effort. If they really are giving you that much money (and if it's a big deal for you), then it may be worth it for that.

Once you start school you can ask all the questions you want about scholars program. You have like 2 years to learn all about it before you get a chance to interview for it

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you start school you can ask all the questions you want about scholars program. You have like 2 years to learn all about it before you get a chance to interview for it

Yeah, I guess so. Just eager to get all the information. The COA of NYIT isn't cheap and I love teaching and research so I thought it would be a good fit for me.

Yeah, I guess so. Just eager to get all the information. The COA of NYIT isn't cheap and I love teaching and research so I thought it would be a good fit for me.

Seriously though, you're going to be in NY - there are plenty of high caliber, reputable research opportunities available if you really want it. You should do research for the residency connections on top of the experience and CV boosting. Doing research at an ACGME program will do far more for you regarding a future in academic medicine, if that is what you are truly looking for.

As a current student, I suggest that you start in the fall to get a sense of what is expected of you as a medical student before you decide on the program. You will interact a lot with the scholars during your first year so you can ask them what they think of the program. You may decide that it’s not for you or you may decide it’s perfect. I know tuition is expensive, but you do graduate a year later than your class so its definitely something to think about.

A one-year delay in graduation is more costly than the money you'd be saving on tuition and loan interest, because it's a year of lost salary from the end of your career (presumably when you'd be at peak salary potential).

From a financial standpoint, it's almost certainly a net loss. But if your personal interest in the extra year of education outweighs that six-figure cost, then you should go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
You should see what osteopathic medicine requires first. After seeing the pseudoscience that takes place you may decide spending a year related to OMM is too much time.