NYITCOM vs CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yomynameisbluh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am posting this for more info on these 2 awesome schools.

Here's my pros and cons list

NYITCOM:

Pros

- Cheaper
- P/F
- Closer to me, my family, and friends :)
- MS program I am interested in
- the option between case-based learning or lectures
- Great match lists
- Seems like a lot of research opportunities
- Lectures are recorded
- Great match list
- Give students longer to study for boards

Cons

- Not the most inviting campus
- A lot of dislike for the administration I see online from past/current students
- high attrition rate some say, others say this is overblown
- Commuter school, I like having a sense of community at my schools and I feel like that's hard with a commuter school, Maybe I'm wrong :)

CCOM

Pros

- Really strong rotation sites
- Really nice match list
- Closer to the city
- Seems more like a community of a school
- Seems like a lot of research opportunities
- Newer facilities
- Lovely campus
- One of the original 5
- Great match list
- Really good boards scores
- I understand professors give out packets and those are all you need to do well

Cons

- Expensive
- A, B, C system
- No recorded lectures
- Far away from me/must fly
- Exams every week, from what I understand

Anything I am missing? Is anything I said wrong? Any opinions on either school with reasons would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are a great fit for NYIT based on how you listed their pros and cons and the way you talk about it. The cons really aren’t even cons. Go with your gut!

No recorded lecture = NO GO!!!

Did they change the rules for CCOM recently? I have always thought that CCOM and AZCOM always have recorded lectures considering how much they are for board scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you are a great fit for NYIT based on how you listed their pros and cons and the way you talk about it. The cons really aren’t even cons. Go with your gut!

Thank you so much for the response!

But isn't CCOM considered one of the best i.e. the original 5. Isn't that a big leg up over NYIT? Also, doesn't everyone hate NYIT's administration?

CCOM does have recorded lectures. Also don't underestimate the importance of having a support system nearby.

I don't know too much about NYIT, but it sounds like the way you listed out the pros and cons you're leaning toward it. And family being 2 hours away is better than 12+ hours away.

Reactions: 2 users
With my knowledge of the DO education, you will get the same education for your first two years and possibly clinical ed at either schools. Here are some intangibles to think about:

1) Recorded Lecture. Any school that has mandatory in class lectures should go to the toilet. Trust me on this. You will thank me 12 months from now
2) Education cost
3) Family support

Everything else is just noises. The only key criteria that I have for you is to avoid new DO schools regardless of their pitch unless they're willing to cut your COA by at least 100K in comparison to others.

Reactions: 1 user
CCOM does NOT have mandatory lecture. All lectures are recorded besides OMM and pharmacology (two classes that you can skip and still do well in).

If you said you lived closer to NYITCOM I would say 100% go to it over CCOM. A four hour round trip home is a lot of time though. Since you said it is still a fair distance away I would say strongly consider CCOM. If you have any questions about CCOM I can try to answer them.

CCOM does NOT have mandatory lecture. All lectures are recorded besides OMM and pharmacology (two classes that you can skip and still do well in).

If you said you lived closer to NYITCOM I would say 100% go to it over CCOM. A four hour round trip home is a lot of time though. Since you said it is still a fair distance away I would say strongly consider CCOM. If you have any questions about CCOM I can try to answer them.

Which school do you think is better overall and how much better?

Which school do you think is better overall and how much better?
I know nothing about NYITCOM, so I can't compare them. If you are worried about quality, you can't go wrong with CCOM. If CCOM was 20k cheaper, it would surpass some MD schools in terms of quality. Both schools will make you a doctor either way.