NYMC Accelerated Masters Program (AMP) 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raito Medical

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just realized there wasn't a thread for the 2019-2020 class of this program, and I wanted to start one. I got accepted into the 2019-2020 accelerated masters program at NYMC and will be happy to answer any questions I can, as well as meet the people who will potentially be my classmates!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I just got accepted today as well. Anybody have any idea how big the class is?

hi! i just got accepted a few days ago. on the website it says 10-15 students are accepted. i'm from texas and know nothing! are y'all living on or off campus?

hi! i just got accepted a few days ago. on the website it says 10-15 students are accepted. i'm from texas and know nothing! are y'all living on or off campus?

I was accepted about a month ago. Still haven't decided fully if I will be attending. They have on-campus apartments that you share with roommates. But space is running out. I talked to the graduate office yesterday and they said they still have space but that you should hurry if you wanted on-campus housing. I think there are apartments off campus if you can't get an on-campus spot but its more expensive.

Oh, they're running out already...I thought we were supposed to get an email from the housing department with a form once this year's housing application opened up? I never got any email??

Congrats to being accepted! I chose to live on campus since rent in Westchester isn’t that pricey (680 for 1 bedroom in an unfurnished three bedroom apt). I figured that the chances of getting something cheaper than that within walking distance to our classes were slim to none.

I tried calling residential living, but no one answered the phone. Emailing [email protected] yielded a pretty prompt response so I’d reach out to them to ask if there are any apts left.

Hi guys! I just got offered an interview and I was wondering what kinds of questions they may ask and how I should prepare for it. Any tips or suggestions?

Hello i just received an acceptance! Would I be able to talk to any current student or any alumni?

Hello, I just received an acceptance! Would I be able to talk to any current student or any alumni?
Hi I was accepted and I already enrolled since summer classes will start soon, I'm also looking for alumni, did you get in contact with anyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I was accepted and I already enrolled since summer classes will start soon, I'm also looking for alumni, did you get in contact with anyone.
Hey i did! I think they are having an accepted student meeting on the 27th! The last one I went to had a current student, and she was able to answer all of our questions.

Hey i did! I think they are having an accepted student meeting on the 27th! The last one I went to had a current student, and she was able to answer all of our questions.
hi thanks, is this a virtual or on-campus meeting because I haven't received an email stating such. if it's okay with you and the student you spoke to can I make contact with them? thanks

hi thanks, is this a virtual or on-campus meeting because I haven't received an email stating such. if it's okay with you and the student you spoke to can I make contact with them? thanks
Hey! Are you in the AMP or in the medical school? Your status says medical student, so i got a confused lol. Yea, it was actually RAITO Medical. The person is actually in this thread ^^^^. The meeting is virtual, maybe you can contact NYMC amp and ask them?

Actually, the person you met in the last meeting wasn't me, but a friend of mine who is also finishing up the program with me and frequents this thread. Sorry I've been away from SDN for the last two weeks, but I'll be able to help if anyone has any Q's

Interestingly enough, I'll be the current student at tomorrow's (5/27) meeting so I'll see all of you there!!

Actually, the person you met in the last meeting wasn't me, but a friend of mine who is also finishing up the program with me and frequents this thread. Sorry I've been away from SDN for the last two weeks, but I'll be able to help if anyone has any Q's

Interestingly enough, I'll be the current student at tomorrow's (5/27) meeting so I'll see all of you there!!
Hey! Sorry i was referring to our conversation over private messaging! Looking forward to seeing you there!

Hi! Sorry, what meeting you’re referring to? I got accepted into the program for 2020-2021, but didn’t receive anything about this..

Hi! Sorry, what meeting you’re referring to? I got accepted into the program for 2020-2021, but didn’t receive anything about this..

According to the email I got, todays meeting is for prospective students who are interested in applying. I'm also operating on limited info, but if you have any specific questions, feel free to reach out and I'll try to answer them as well as I can

Hi! I have an interview on Wednesday, can you provide some tips/advice? Thank you!
Hey, I have an interview with NYMC Accelerated program this Monday, do you have any tips or recommendations for the interview and how to prepare for questions?

Hey, I have an interview with NYMC Accelerated program this Monday, do you have any tips or recommendations for the interview and how to prepare for questions?
Hey sorry for the delayed response. I hope you did well!

Does anyone know if NYMC AMP has waived the MCAT requirement? I test in July, so I'm wondering if its still worth applying

Thanks so much! also, do you know if the science gpa suggestions is a strict cutoff or do they do holistic review?
Hey, np! It is definitely a hollistic view and there is no strict cut off (as far as I know, but you can ask them that Q). You should apply and see where it takes you!

Thanks so much! also, do you know if the science gpa suggestions is a strict cutoff or do they do holistic review?
Hey, np! It is definitely a hollistic view and there is no strict cut off (as far as I know, but you can ask them that Q). You should apply and see where it takes you!

I had the same exact question about the GPA requirement. I assumed it was a suggestion as part of a holistic review, but on their application page it states that the minimum criteria for admission to the AMP is a 3.1 GPA, making it sound more strict.

I still intended to apply with a 3.0 overall and slightly lower science GPA, though I don't want this to automatically preclude me from being considered at all.

I had the same exact question about the GPA requirement. I assumed it was a suggestion as part of a holistic review, but on their application page it states that the minimum criteria for admission to the AMP is a 3.1 GPA, making it sound more strict.

I still intended to apply with a 3.0 overall and slightly lower science GPA, though I don't want this to automatically preclude me from being considered at all.
I actually emailed yesterday, and admissions said they will still do a holistic review of your app.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually emailed yesterday, and admissions said they will still do a holistic review of your app.

That's a relief to hear. I planned on getting in touch with admissions tomorrow and was afraid that I'd have to bail on the AMP application.
Thanks for the fast reply!

Just got accepted today! Do you guys know if they offer any scholarships/need based grants as part of the financial aid or just loans? Thanks!

Hello I just got accepted into the NYMC amp program and was wondering if anyone could share some light on this program. their opinion, difficulty of the program etc. Thank you

Hello please does anyone know any old students on this thread. I have questions about this program

Does anyone know if this program or the traditional program provide committee letter for students?

Hi guys, I was also admitted last week. I noticed we don't actually have a 2020-2021 thread, I was wondering would anyone be down for having a groupme chat started so that everyone can kind of get to know each other and help each other out that way? Looking forward to e-meeting you all at the orientation next Friday!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys, I was also admitted last week. I noticed we don't actually have a 2020-2021 thread, I was wondering would anyone be down for having a groupme chat started so that everyone can kind of get to know each other and help each other out that way? Looking forward to e-meeting you all at the orientation next Friday!
Hi! Yes, great idea! Both GroupMe or WhatsApp work.

The only thing, I thought the Orientation is on July 27th, no?

Just got accepted into the traditional 2 year - very excited to start! Anyone know the class size? I think AMP is around 25.

I just got offered an interview! Does anyone have any tips/ would be kind enough to speak with me about the questions that came up?

Hello, would anyone be able to tell me how your first year went in this program? I've been accepted and may potentially be going here come fall so I'd like to know how the experience was for anyone in it this crazy year, thank you

Hello, would anyone be able to tell me how your first year went in this program? I've been accepted and may potentially be going here come fall so I'd like to know how the experience was for anyone in it this crazy year, thank you
I also applied to the program, definitely interested in it

Can anyone give any insight into how the program was & what percentage of students matriculated into med school?
The program is tough, as expected. Students take some of the classes that medical students take therefore it has a right to be. It's not tough because of the concepts, but tough because of the amount of material given during a short period of time.

The first block is supposed to be the easiest as they let us acclimate to the curriculum. The second block is the hardest in my opinion as you're taking both of the courses the medical students take: Biochemistry and Physiology. The last block is also hard as you'll most likely be burnt out from the year and Neuroscience is difficult as the course will build off the basics of anatomy that's taught to medical students in first block but not to us (since AMP students don't take anatomy).

I would imagine the difficulty is on par with other SMPs across the nation such as Georgetown's SMP. Another important note to keep in mind is that this program is a one year accelerated program. That should speak for itself on the difficulty as well.

I will say advising is as advertised on the program's website. The faculty will give what is needed, but they are not going to hold your hand throughout the process. You have to put in the work in as well.

Although you may not like all the lecturers, the courses are taught well in my opinion. You are receiving the same education as the medical students and they provide that standard.

If you do well in the AMP, lets say a GPA of 3.5 or above, it will open many doors for you in terms of MD schools
I take this example from my classmates in the AMP with roughly those stats who were able to land 5+ interviews. But again, I also believe this isn't selective of the NYMC AMP, but also applies to any established post-bacc program such as Georgetown, Bryn Mawr, Columbia, etc...

The percentage of students that matriculate into medical school that is advertised on the program website is 85%. I can't fully confirm this from my own class because I wasn't personally close with everyone like that to know all those details. However, I can say that the people I am close with have all been accepted into medical school including myself.

Hey guys! Have an interview coming up for this program and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what to expect! Any advice would be appreciated.