NYMC Interdisciplinary Basic Medical Sciences Traditional Track 2017-2019 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PM95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I figured since there wasn't a thread for this already made, I'd make one myself. I got my acceptance into the program about a month back and wanted to see if anyone else got accepted as well. I'm very much excited to start this program in the Fall :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm finishing up my application. Have you heard any good news I. The program like acceptance rates, rigor, etc

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile

I'm finishing up my application. Have you heard any good news I. The program like acceptance rates, rigor, etc

Hey there. As far as I know, there isn't any exact information about the acceptance rates for students that apply to medical schools and the like, but it seems to be good. I spoke with Dr. Lerea in the past about it and he said they have about 30-33% acceptance rate into an MD/DO program which isn't bad considering not everyone that applies to the program is planning on going to medical school. Basically, what I got from my talk with him is most people who go through the program with the intent on going to medical school, get into sometime of MD/DO program in the future. It just seems like you have to do well in the program while keeping up with extracurriculars (volunteering, research, etc.) too. As for the rigor, I haven't heard anything about it myself though I was under the impression that the curriculum would be challenging. I was actually going to call Dr. Lerea again about the level of difficulty of the courses. If he does say anything worthwhile, I'll be sure to post it here!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, for anyone who has already completed this program in the past, please post in this thread! Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Hey there. As far as I know, there isn't any exact information about the acceptance rates for students that apply to medical schools and the like, but it seems to be good. I spoke with Dr. Lerea in the past about it and he said they have about 30-33% acceptance rate into an MD/DO program which isn't bad considering not everyone that applies to the program is planning on going to medical school. Basically, what I got from my talk with him is most people who go through the program with the intent on going to medical school, get into sometime of MD/DO program in the future. It just seems like you have to do well in the program while keeping up with extracurriculars (volunteering, research, etc.) too. As for the rigor, I haven't heard anything about it myself though I was under the impression that the curriculum would be challenging. I was actually going to call Dr. Lerea again about the level of difficulty of the courses. If he does say anything worthwhile, I'll be sure to post it here!
What about class size

What about class size

The class size is small. I spoke with Valerie Romeo-Messana from admissions about the class size and she said about 25-30 students would get accepted, which makes sense since the graduate school accepted around 150 students last year (I remember reading that somewhere on their site). We'll get adequate attention from the faculty and also be able to work together to succeed in the program as well!

The class size is small. I spoke with Valerie Romeo-Messana from admissions about the class size and she said about 25-30 students would get accepted, which makes sense since the graduate school accepted around 150 students last year (I remember reading that somewhere on their site). We'll get adequate attention from the faculty and also be able to work together to succeed in the program as well!
That is absolute music to my ears! I wonder if alot of people get into their medical school.

That is absolute music to my ears! I wonder if alot of people get into their medical school.

I think it's common for some students to be accepted into NYMC's School of Medicine but Dr. Lerea said he wants students to apply elsewhere because he doesn't want students to get so accustomed to life at NYMC. Sort of a "spread your wings and fly" sort of deal.

I think it's common for some students to be accepted into NYMC's School of Medicine but Dr. Lerea said he wants students to apply elsewhere because he doesn't want students to get so accustomed to life at NYMC. Sort of a "spread your wings and fly" sort of deal.
Nice. Well I hope I get in. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Nice. Well I hope I get in. Do you mind sharing our stats?

Yeah no problem.
cGPA: 3.27
sGPA: 2.8-2.9 (haven't calculated that out yet since my semester grades just came in)
GRE: 153 CR, 155 Math, 4.5 Writing
Pretty good ECs:
Mentor (internship)
Calc I Tutor
Peer Adviser for one of the schools at my university (internship)
Two E-Board positions for a service club on my campus from 2015-17 (Circle K)
Volunteer at one of the hospitals near my campus (finished with about 200ish hours of experience)
No research experience (I'm going to see if I can work on that while at NYMC)
In two honor societies as well. It also didn't hurt that Dr. Lerea is an alumnus from my school haha. I'd like to note, I've had a general upward trend in my grades while taking harder upper level science courses. Overall, I think my application was pretty standard so you should be fine if yours is similar or better. I think another thing that helped me was my application essays. I had plenty of help structuring what I wanted to convey to the adcom in the program and I think they turned out great so make sure to have lots of eyes check yours.

Good deal! Thank you for sharing! Your stats are better than mine but I took MCAT and not GRE. But we shall see

Good deal! Thank you for sharing! Your stats are better than mine but I took MCAT and not GRE. But we shall see

It's no problem. Hoping for all the best for your application! If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask me. I intend on contacting Dr. Lerea about the rigor of the program and some other misc. questions (probably tomorrow).

Reactions: 1 user

Hey Kojo. So I know you asked a while ago about the rigor of the curriculum for the Traditional Track at NYMC. I finally got the chance to talk to Dr. Lerea about the rigor and like I figured, the coursework will be difficult. The faculty that teaches the courses we will be taking like Biochemistry, Mammalian Physiology, Histology, Pharmacology, Cell Bio, etc., will all be taught by instructors who teach the med students, so in general the overall level of difficulty will be the same as if we were taking classes with the med students. Our tests in our first year will be all multiple choice while in the second year, they're going to be more short/long-response based question testing in order to see if we can retain and apply the information we learn in class. In terms of grading, Dr. Lerea mentioned Mammalian Physiology has no curve; not sure about Biochem. Also, there are many opportunities (both on an off campus) that we can get involved with but he mentioned that he doesn't want students to immerse themselves so heavily in these activities in their first semester because he wants to make sure that we start off strong and build a good foundation for our grades to improve. I think that covers everything we talked about. If you or anyone else has further questions, pass 'em along!

Good deal. So do alot of the students get into other Medical schools?

Good deal. So do alot of the students get into other Medical schools?

Tbh, I didn't want to ask him that because I asked him that same question a while back and I didn't want to seem like a bother by asking him that again. I think it would be better if you called him up or emailed him asking this. He'll most likely say he doesn't have access to that information or that he can't give that information out but he'll probably give you the same rough estimate I gave you.
#: 914-594-4097
Email: [email protected]
I'd try to get in contact (especially by email, he usually responds the same day if you email early enough or the day after) just because it creates a good rapport with him that might help your application stand out and he's very detailed with his responses.