Nymc Smp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does NYMC have an special masters program? I ve never heard of any program there, but My friend told me his friend did one there, and was then admitted into the med school the very next year?

Members don't see this ad.

NRAI2001 said:
Does NYMC have an special masters program? I ve never heard of any program there, but My friend told me his friend did one there, and was then admitted into the med school the very next year?

I looked and found a general medical sciences program, but it is two years long!!!

riceman04 said:
I looked and found a general medical sciences program, but it is two years long!!!

So do those two years count towards ur MD? If you were admitted directly into the MD program afterwards would u have to do a total of 6 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
NRAI2001 said:
So do those two years count towards ur MD? If you were admitted directly into the MD program afterwards would u have to do a total of 6 years?

It did not clarify

riceman04 said:
It did not clarify
Nope it is just a 2 yr MS. Then you apply to MD school and do the regular track. I think if you get A's you get to skip some of the basic science courses though.

Does the SMP have a special linkage arrangement with the NYMC MD program? In other words, do students who perform well in the SMP program have a guarantee or very high probability of getting into the NYMC MD program?

gnin said:
Does the SMP have a special linkage arrangement with the NYMC MD program? In other words, do students who perform well in the SMP program have a guarantee or very high probability of getting into the NYMC MD program?

I had considered applying to this program last year. I contacted the program director, who informed me that the program has a diverse group of students with different goals (some are trying to apply to MD, some to PhD, others just want a MS). There was no special linkage with this program last year, although I imagine if you perform well, it wouldn't hurt your application to NYMC MD.