nymc vs mcp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frank

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into both NYMC and MCP. Having trouble deciding. Please help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Chances are the rest of academic medicine still has little clue as to the financial stability of MCPHU Med School, and that could adversely affect its reputation.

Other than that, the match lists appear similar.

I'd go with NYMC.

Tim of New York City.

Doesn't MCP/Hahnemann have their own hospitals? That should make the clinicals much more organized. NYMC only has affiliated hospitals. The learning experience at affiliated hospitals isn't the same as the dedicated teaching at university hospitals because it's more difficult for the schools to regulate the teaching at affiliated hospitals. The place where the difference shows up is in the Step 2 results. Rumor has it that students of schools without a central university hospital do not do as well on Step 2.

I'm not sure what the financial status of MCP/Hahnemann is, but AMSA did a story on them and the financial health of med schools for the Dec 99 issue of The New Physician magazine (Many medical school libraries subscribe to this magazine).

Congrats on getting in!
smile.gif

------------------
My IMG Medical Residency Page

[This message has been edited by Carbon Klein (edited 05-04-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
I know people at both schools- but more at MCP- i think that the adv of going to MCP would be that since day one you do hands on experience with patients. They do pretend patient interviews-

the drawback- its very,very unstable - many residents left b/c of that and transferred to Robert Wood Johnson Hospital

but Manyunk by MCP is awesome and the people are great too!

CK,

What you say about teaching at hospitals based on med school campuses and at affiliates may be true, but as far as I know, the old Allegheny Health System is pretty split up at this point, but someone with some bette facts can correct me.

MCPHU Med School no longer has much of a formal university hospital-type relationship with Allegheny General (which, by the way, is almost clear across PA from Philly on the western border). NYMC, while it only has affiliates, is located on the same campus as Westchester County Medical Center, which has been regarded as a fine public hospital. And, hey, at least NYMC's affiliates are all within 30 minutes' drive of each other... Allegheny General is about a five to six hour drive from Philly.
smile.gif

Tim of New York City.

You've got one week left, which school have you decided to attend?

Tim of New York brings up some good points, but hopefully, by now, you've spoken to some MCP students and some NYMC students and are leaning towards one school.

What specialty you want to do, any idea? I think NYMC leans towards primary care, but then again, who isn't nowadays?
smile.gif

I am leaning towards NYMC, due to the amount of money they are giving but also the environment of the first two years. Being in the boonies and out of the city suits me best. I also like NYC better than philly, which is where I will do my clinical years. As far as specialties,I want to go into ortho or ent. Thanks for the advice.