NYMC vs MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCDesi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all med students,

I was recently acepted to both and am having a dilemma choosing. I was wondering if you could give me advice as to the pros and cons of each.

Thank You,
NYCDesi

Members don't see this ad.

NYCDesi said:
Hello all med students,

I was recently acepted to both and am having a dilemma choosing. I was wondering if you could give me advice as to the pros and cons of each.

Thank You,
NYCDesi

I go to NYMC, and actually chose it over 2 other schools that accepted me (OHSU and University of Illinois) because I liked it so much. Things I like about NYMC:

:thumbup:
-the area, i used to live in nyc and now I'm only 30 min away. westchester is gorgeous and full of trees, but if you want city life you've got the greatest city in the world at your fingertips

-the students, they're all so nice and friendly, most people live in dorms (though i don't) and it seems like they all really like it and have alot of fun together. Lots of teamwork among everyone in classes, no competitive feeling

-the facilites are amazing. especially the anatomy lab, you barely ever will be overwhelmed by smells because the ventilation is state of the art. natural light, plants everywhere...it's a nice place to spend hours of your time. plus all the other facilites are great, the library is spacious, computers are everywhere and study modules are always available.

-the faculty is really dedicated to teaching, they are all about their students. A lot of the faculty that I talked to at OHSU were so into their research, and acted as if teaching was just this annoying thing they had to do in order to be able to do their research. I bet I may feel the same way in their position, so I can't blame them, but I just like the fact that my professors are so intent on having us all learn and understand the material. They seem to really love to teach.

-we have affiliations with hospitals all over the tri-state area, including downtown NYC and rural connecticut. So for clerkships you get a chance to be exposed to a wide variety of patients and experiences.

-the coffee in the cafeteria is amazing

there are more things that I like, specifically about the curriculum and the way that classes are taught, but I'll stop rambling on now. I did a pretty in depth comparison between the three schools to figure out which would be a good fit for me, you should do the same. Hope these tips have helped! Just so I don't seem like a walking advertisement for the school, here are some things I don't like:

:thumbdown:
-it's a catholic school, and I'm agnostic. Even though there is no pressure to be religous and it doesnt affect my education whatsoever, it makes me feel weird every now and then.

-other people tend to think of nymc as a "last resort" school, which I find funny because I ended up choosing it over other schools. I don't know where this label came from, I've never asked my classmates about their application experience so wouldn't know whether or not the label is correct. I guess this isn't really a problem with the school as much as it is a problem with the school's reputation.

-the cafeteria closes too early

Thanks a lot renox! I really appreciate it.

Any other opinions?

I have basically made my mind up and as of now I will be attending MCW next fall. I have been there several times and each time I continue to be impressed.

-The students have always seemed happy, not overwhelmed and completely stressed out like at some other schools I interviewed at. Also, I have talked to a number of students and all of them have good things to say about the cooperation amongst the students.

-The facilities are only several years old, so everything is current and it is an extremely nice environment to be in.

-The connected hospitals are excellent and receive a variety of patients. You can choose to do all of your rotations at these hospitals or you can go to other locations. Also, the Children's hospital connected to it is ranked one of the best in the country for emergency pediatric care.

-As for the pre-clinical teaching, the students say that they have been prepared well for the USMLE Step 1, and their great pass rates reflect this.

-Cost of living in the nearby area is fairly cheap, or you can choose to live in Milwaukee and have about a 15 min drive to school.

All in all I think that medical school has a lot to do with how much you put into it. I would try and go to the place that you would be happiest at for the next 4 years. Hope this helps.