NYMC vs. SLU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adviseme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN, this is NYMC vs. SLU

Schools have different but comparable price, SLU better -- 70k vs 67.5k.

I have family and friends throughout all of NY.

I am not particularly worried anymore about the Touro merger at NYMC, though I can't pretend it did not rub me wrong way when I first found out. I am more concerned about availability of rotations in NYC, but I have no understanding of how St. Vincents closing will impact that in two years. Legitimate information on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

I am not particularly worried about the crime rate in Saint Louis.

Most importantly -- I truly liked just about everything about both schools during my interview. I am notoriously horrible at making decisions.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN, this is NYMC vs. SLU

Schools have different but comparable price, SLU better -- 70k vs 67.5k.

I have family and friends throughout all of NY.

I am not particularly worried anymore about the Touro merger at NYMC, though I can't pretend it did not rub me wrong way when I first found out. I am more concerned about availability of rotations in NYC, but I have no understanding of how St. Vincents closing will impact that in two years. Legitimate information on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

I am not particularly worried about the crime rate in Saint Louis.

Most importantly -- I truly liked just about everything about both schools during my interview. I am notoriously horrible at making decisions.

Cheers

Don't underestimate the importance of this...

Members don't see this ad :)

OK....why?

And whoknows/other students -- at NYMC how often would I really be able to see friends and family outside of school? I have a few friends and cousins in Manhattan/Queens/New City, but most of my family live in Long Island. Also -- any ideas about city rotations?

Please SDN! I would really appreciate some advice! Current SLU and NYMC students how do you feel about your school? People who have interviewed at one or both -- did you have any bad experiences or notice anything about the school that I did not during my short visit?

It is really hard to make a decision after one half day at each school!! Am I not getting any love because its my first post? :(

I go to NYMC btw.. but I have friends and family in Manhattan and on Long island. Depending on the timing of tests, (which are usually 1 test every 3wks per class) you will definitely have time probably once every 2 wks or once a week to see friends/family in the NYC area. I usually go out in the city once a wk (except for weekends that are right before an upcoming test) and can make it home to Long Island about once every 2 wks. You will definitely be studying a lot but if you can study efficiently you'll definitely have some free time on the weekends.

OK....why?

And whoknows/other students -- at NYMC how often would I really be able to see friends and family outside of school? I have a few friends and cousins in Manhattan/Queens/New City, but most of my family live in Long Island. Also -- any ideas about city rotations?

Please SDN! I would really appreciate some advice! Current SLU and NYMC students how do you feel about your school? People who have interviewed at one or both -- did you have any bad experiences or notice anything about the school that I did not during my short visit?

It is really hard to make a decision after one half day at each school!! Am I not getting any love because its my first post? :(

off topic...I'm from new city, and if I don't get in off the wait list at Rochester I'll be going to NYMC. Small world

Have you compared match lists from SLU and NYMC?

I interviewed at both schools, and I got very different vibes from them.
Was there one you felt more comfortable with?

I believe St. Louis has better perceived reputation from the educated lay population. (When I tell family friends who are doctors where I got in, most say to go to St. Louis, but this is not necessarily reflective of reality.)

I personally liked NYMC better out of the two. It felt more homey. Although, our tour guide told us that first year you have class all day (9 to 5) for a better part of the year, which would bother me.

My impression from interview day was that it would be possible to do most (but not all since St. Vincent's is no longer an option) of your 3rd and 4th year in the city.

If I am remembering correctly, neither school has recorded lectures first year, however NYMC has a verbatim scribe service. SLU starts recording 2nd year; they say they don't want students dropping off the face of the earth initially, so they don't record to force attendance. (Not that attendance is mandatory, just that you don't get the lecture if you don't go.)

The atmosphere of the school is different. NYMC is a very pretty campus-ey feel. St. Louis is in a run-down part of the city, although the campus itself is nice. I like the new research building at St. Louis.

Barring any unforeseen financial aid or scholarship news, I ruled out both of these schools based on price. However, I would happily attend either, and I don't really think you can go wrong.

I interviewed at both schools, and I got very different vibes from them.
Was there one you felt more comfortable with?

I believe St. Louis has better perceived reputation from the educated lay population. (When I tell family friends who are doctors where I got in, most say to go to St. Louis, but this is not necessarily reflective of reality.)

I personally liked NYMC better out of the two. It felt more homey. Although, our tour guide told us that first year you have class all day (9 to 5) for a better part of the year, which would bother me.

My impression from interview day was that it would be possible to do most (but not all since St. Vincent's is no longer an option) of your 3rd and 4th year in the city.

If I am remembering correctly, neither school has recorded lectures first year, however NYMC has a verbatim scribe service. SLU starts recording 2nd year; they say they don't want students dropping off the face of the earth initially, so they don't record to force attendance. (Not that attendance is mandatory, just that you don't get the lecture if you don't go.)

The atmosphere of the school is different. NYMC is a very pretty campus-ey feel. St. Louis is in a run-down part of the city, although the campus itself is nice. I like the new research building at St. Louis.

Barring any unforeseen financial aid or scholarship news, I ruled out both of these schools based on price. However, I would happily attend either, and I don't really think you can go wrong.

Class is not really from 9-5 everyday. For the better part of the first half of the year you'll have usually 3-4 hours of lecture with a lab for about 2 or so hours. The second half of the year there are less labs, more lectures and it varies from 9-1, 9-2, 9-3 but never 9-5 (at least not without a major break in the middle). The recording lectures statement is also not entirely correct. The lectures ARE recorded but some lecturers wont allow theirs to be recorded and some require a minimum percentage (usually 70%) to have the lecture recorded. On average at least half if not more are recorded.

I remember being told at SLU that all their lectures are recorded ( including 1st year), and a lot of SLU students said they hardly go to class yet dont miss out on anything.
Lectures are also recorded at NYMC by some student run committee and students have to pay to get them.

I remember being told at SLU that all their lectures are recorded ( including 1st year), and a lot of SLU students said they hardly go to class yet dont miss out on anything.
Lectures are also recorded at NYMC by some student run committee and students have to pay to get them.

You have to pay for the scribe service not the recorded lectures. BTW if anyone is interested it is $250(roughly) for the whole year to get in on it.

Yeah that's what I was told as well, that lectures are recorded starting from first year.

Haha, it sounds like the tour guides at these schools really need to get on the same page!

I'm positive my tour guide (interviewed in November) told us they don't record lectures at SLU for the first year, but she was also a fourth year so they probably just changed it since she was in the MS1. Thanks for correcting that though. :)

Cool thanks for the replys so far.
I do remember that at SLU as of now the 1st year is not recorded, but they are changing it this next school year for our entering class. Understandable confusion.

And yes, I have compared match lists. Both seem pretty nice and comparable. I know that SLU sounds better to the non-medical circles, but I really doubt the name of the school will impact my match. Thoughts? I hope I don't end up flippin a coin like a did for undergrad...though that worked out well.

Im glad there is this comparison! I am accepted to NYMC right now and I am waitlisted at SLU. I am hoping to get off the waitlist at SLU. I really enjoyed my interview day at both schools but the big city of St. Louis appeals to me. I come from a very urban environment so I would love to stay in it. Also I love the fact that SLU is a part of a university which means more opportunities and the chance to meet different ppl. You will be surrounded by not only medical students but other graduate students as well. However, NYMC does have the small campus and it was good feeling when I was there. Everyone seemed to get along and it was great. You also have NYC not too far away so I can get that big city feel Im looking for as well. They both for me are great options. So, I am happy if I end up at NYMC in the fall. Good luck in your decision! :)

Im glad there is this comparison! I am accepted to NYMC right now and I am waitlisted at SLU. I am hoping to get off the waitlist at SLU. I really enjoyed my interview day at both schools but the big city of St. Louis appeals to me. I come from a very urban environment so I would love to stay in it. Also I love the fact that SLU is a part of a university which means more opportunities and the chance to meet different ppl. You will be surrounded by not only medical students but other graduate students as well. However, NYMC does have the small campus and it was good feeling when I was there. Everyone seemed to get along and it was great. You also have NYC not too far away so I can get that big city feel Im looking for as well. They both for me are great options. So, I am happy if I end up at NYMC in the fall. Good luck in your decision! :)

How bout halfway through the summer? Move in day was Aug 1st last yr:eek:---I was happy though because I was ready to start but it did feel a bit odd at first going to school in the middle of the summer.

St. Louis >> Valhalla, IMO. I would most likely go to SLU in your situation.

Yeah but at least you're only 30-40 min from the middle of NYC by train in Valhalla. Best of both worlds IMO.

Cool thanks for the replys so far.
I do remember that at SLU as of now the 1st year is not recorded, but they are changing it this next school year for our entering class. Understandable confusion.

And yes, I have compared match lists. Both seem pretty nice and comparable. I know that SLU sounds better to the non-medical circles, but I really doubt the name of the school will impact my match. Thoughts? I hope I don't end up flippin a coin like a did for undergrad...though that worked out well.

I spoke to an MS-2, and she said first year courses are recorded, archived, and available for later reference while second year courses stream live online!

Status
Not open for further replies.