NYMC Vs UMSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strangeman123

Reaction score
Hiya Everyone! I'm pretty new to this site so bear with me here. I recently got accepted into NYMC and UMSOM and am in a bit of a rut trying to figure out which school I should attend. I am currently a NY resident and I want to match back here for my residency and future training. I'm considering IM right now due to the numerous possibilities it has for further specialization and I'm not interested in surgery. I've already spoken to UMSOM students and they say it is very plausible with away rotations and signaling, but NYMC matches excellently into NY for IM. Another point of consideration is that a lot of my close friends and family want me to go to NYMC because they are concerned about my safety due to the considerably higher crime rate in Baltimore. Safety isn't the highest on my priority list but is still something that I want to consider. Finally, UMSOM is currently a T30 school and NYMC is around T100. I've been reading online that prestige is becoming more important, especially with the advent of p/f Step 1, but IM is not an extremely competitive field. Also, I don't know if I'll end up sticking with IM. Given all of these factors, I'm incredibly torn between these two schools. I can see myself going to either. I hope can get some clarity here. Thanks, ya'll.

Goal: To Select which Medical School is for me. Currently prioritize prestige, NY matching, and safety.

NYMC:
Pro
  • From NY originally, easier for family and more connections
  • Can do rotations in NYC, i.e. LHH, East Harlem Metropolitan Hospital.
  • Strong match in NYC, 68% of medical school students match into NY locations
  • The tiered grading system, no lettered grading. P/f pre-clinicals, and tiered P/f in clinicals.
Con
  • Lower ranking and prestige, will impact the ability to match into more prestigious programs?
  • Tuition ~60k
UMSOM:
Pro
  • T30 school, more medical program prestige
  • Better research opportunities, and better quality of primary care administered to patients, as per US News Ranking.
    • Truthfully, attending this school would look better when talking to friends and family.
  • Can reclassify as UMSOM resident, for 30k cheaper tuition
    • In-state Tuition ~70k
    • Reclassified Tution ~40k
      • Only after a year of paying in state tuition
Con
  • Higher crime rate
  • More difficult to match back into NY
    • Possible with away rotations and signaling to residency program directors.
  • Would have to “start over”, no connections to Maryland
  • Lettered grading system

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know you'd like us to have something wise to say, but it really is a personal preference. There probably is an appreciable difference in "prestige" between these two institutions, but whether that means anything when you're aiming for IM and with the end game of returning to NY is questionable. You would have no difficulty matching to NYC coming from UM though, you would not need to necessarily do an away rotation.

I will say, the grading system is irrelevant. I guess this idea of a "tiered" system makes you feel better, but you're still getting measured against your peers. Which TBH, most schools do this in some form or fashion, and I'm kind of at the point where I almost respect the schools that are open about that fact.

The money savings and location are really the two most important points IMO, and that's personal preference.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, congrats on your acceptances!

Current NYMC student here. I struggled in choosing between slightly higher-ranked programs (UVM-Larner and USF SELECT program) but ultimately went with NYMC. (Reasons being, briefly, positive impression of the student culture/vibes & not wanting to be in the middle of nowhere geographically). It's clear prestige/name recognition matters to you, at least somewhat. NYMC is a humbler name, there's no getting around it. That might change with time, as we're bringing in fresh new faces and improving our research game, etc. but it definitely very much lives in the shadow of its more ivory-tower neighbors. I chose to go here, but for many, it was the only place they got into. I think part of the camaraderie around here is partly rooted in that fact -- a kinda "we're here, might as well make the most of it / bond over shared trauma". Leads to a culture that is pretty chill / free of gunners with a strong culture of collaboration / helping one another out. I will say I felt like I fit in better here. I like the more down-to-earth, humbler vibes. It's awkward when someone gives the vibe that they 'could've done better' / superiority. For a couple years, I struggled with wondering whether I'd made a mistake not just going to the "highest-ranked" school I could get into. Ultimately turned out fine for me (both personally & career-wise). Only you can decide how much it matters to you / whether, long-term, that feeling of "settling" for the no-name/unranked institution will bother you or not, in which case it might not be a good fit.

• From NY originally, easier for family and more connections
There is something to be said for this. I chose NYMC for similar reasons (sibling and friends in NYC) and ended up being really grateful for this (vs. going with a school that was nowhere near anyone I knew). Since you'll be so busy / time so limited, being a 35-40 min train ride away from friends/family vs. a 4-hour plane ride away from friends will 100% make a big difference in how often you realistically see them during the next 4 years. That said, your time to hang out with people outside of med school will be much more limited, so even with them living close by it will be significantly more challenging to see them frequently. For most, friends in their med school class become their primary community.

• Lower ranking and prestige, will impact the ability to match into more prestigious programs?
Multiple students at NYMC this year matched into top programs including Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Hopkins, Mt Sinai, etc. across multiple specialties, including in competitive specialties, so whether it may have been "easier" being at a more prestigious school I can't say, but in the end it didn't hold them back from success in that regard. If your goal is to match into a good IM program in NYC specifically, NYMC is well known in the area and historically matches well in NYC. This year we did very well in the IM match with several matching at NYU, Cornell, Mt Sinai, MS-Morningside/West, and Monte. (None at Columbia for IM this year, but a couple classmates did interview there, and only matched at NYU because they ranked NYU higher). It looks like UMD won't necessarily hold you back in that regard either, though, as I see they did match a few in NYC (all at top programs). Also, strong geographic ties (family in the area, etc.) is reportedly strongly influential in PDs' rank list decisions, so that would likely help you as well.

• Can reclassify as UMSOM resident, for 30k cheaper tuition
The cost factor is worth strongly considering. Now that I'm an M4 facing down my loan burden, I'm wishing I'd prioritized that more highly in my school decisions. Going in as a pre-med, a few tens of thousands $$ difference sounded like a drop in the bucket to me. Now, I'm realizing that translates to multiple additional years of repayment. You will need to consider your individual situation / comfort level with increased debt. For me, I'm planning to go into primary care so anticipating a salary on the lower end. If you're planning to subspecialize, money might be less of a concern.

• Lettered grading system
Speaking with other students I've heard this kinda sucks. But as the poster above me mentioned, it's really just a psychological thing at the end of the day that you'll need to get over, doesn't have any real lasting/tangible effects

Last edited:
TLDR
I’m choosing more costly true PF school over Maryland solely due to the letters grades and internal ranks.