NYMC - Waitlist 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GeorgesStPierreI: 2/12 Wl: 5/3
Isradoc1983 I: 3/10 WL: 5/5
MBe36 I:3/26 WL:5/5
KansasBuff I:3/10 WL: 5/5
Pokerdoc I: 3/15 WL: no notification yet

Members don't see this ad.

Doctormang I:3/12 WL: no notification yet

Kstreet I: 4/3 WL: no notification yet

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to chuckle to myself when I saw this. What a sad sad thread. Oh the things we do to keep sane! :)

mishelli I: 4/8 WL: no notification yet

FatherOblivion I:3/26 WL:5/5

I just don't get nymc how come they didn't update ppl who interviewed in march if they gave acceptances to ppl who interviewed in may.
Did you try calling them?
gluck to all of us

fero I: 1/? WL: 4/?

aubg23y78 I: 1/3 WL: End of March

I'm withdrawing, so good luck to everyone on the waitlist

For those of you on waitlist or haven't received notification, do you have acceptances elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, not yet. Let's hope no news is good news

I got nothing either. I know some schools immediately accept applicants after May 15 but figuring how slow NYMC is with everything else, we might have to wait a little longer for the waitlist to move too.

Just to give you guys hope (and myself too), one of my friends who attends NYMC got off the waitlist in JULY last year.

I wasn't accepted anywhere had 3 interviews that resulted in 2 WL and 1 rejection. I applied late though ( around mid oct). Anyway I am planning on reapplying and waste the $$ now in order not to find in Aug that I wasn't accepted anywhere, but I still hope for nymc. Its my #1 choice between the two I have:)

Out of curiosity, do you think there's any value in sending in any more updates or LOIs? If so, do you think it would help me or hurt me to mention that I've been accepted into an SMP?

Isradoc, just to throw it out there, you can still apply to an SMP if you don't have anything lined up for the coming year :)

Out of curiosity, do you think there's any value in sending in any more updates or LOIs? If so, do you think it would help me or hurt me to mention that I've been accepted into an SMP?

Isradoc, just to throw it out there, you can still apply to an SMP if you don't have anything lined up for the coming year :)
thanks, I was accepted into one SMP program but not going to attend. Its just not worth the $$. I'll be in debt for the rest of my life( considering i am already in debt cause of undergrad). I have done research, shadowing, volunteering, and have some new leadership experience for next year application. I applied late with mediocre grades, avg mcat and still got 3 interviews. So I hope that applying early will help me out and if not...
Almost everyone I know who did the SMP and had similar grades said it was a waste of time/ money and that they'd get in w/o it if they'd applied early, but you can never know. I'd do the smp only if if I had below a 3.3 science with no upward trend. if you want to know more feel free to PM me I have done alot of research about these programs.

I mentioned accomplished things in my Update Letter I don't think your acceptance to SMP will sway their decisions positively. This just shows that you have an alternative plan, just in case you don't get in. They might think that you will be a better candidate next year after knowing this information and completely disregard your application for the current cycle.

for the people who have heard no response yet.... do you guys think it will prob just be a rejection... i hope not..at this point, after may 15, nymc already knows how many students have accepted and how many seats are left to be filled. do you think they will go straight to the waitlist...ahhhhhh i can't live with no response.

Beamer128: I: 11/15 WL: 1/28

redwing5: I: 2/14 WL: 4/28

for the people who have heard no response yet.... do you guys think it will prob just be a rejection... i hope not..at this point, after may 15, nymc already knows how many students have accepted and how many seats are left to be filled. do you think they will go straight to the waitlist...ahhhhhh i can't live with no response.

I called today and they haven't made a decision on me yet. Interviewed 4/17. Said I'd hear from them "very soon."

Why in the WORLD would they pull off the waitlist before they're finished deciding on the last batch of interviewees? Makes not sense. Ain't going to happen. Unless there turns out to be NO waitlist movement, if you interviewed then it was (adn still is) for an open seat at this point.

So just chill.

I called today and they haven't made a decision on me yet. Interviewed 4/17. Said I'd hear from them "very soon."

Why in the WORLD would they pull off the waitlist before they're finished deciding on the last batch of interviewees? Makes not sense. Ain't going to happen. Unless there turns out to be NO waitlist movement, if you interviewed then it was (adn still is) for an open seat at this point.

So just chill.

your reasonableness is a breath of fresh air given our panicked state. However, it could always be that the last 75 kids were interviewing for a single spot :p.

Anyone know if the committee meets on a particular day of the week?

I was going to ask the same. I remember a thread mentioning Wed. Also, I interviewed on a Wed and we were moved from the meeting room at noon because they were holding a meeting. However, I do not know why most people hear via e-mail on Mon or Tues. This leads me to wonder if they meet later in the week.

I don't know how helpful this is, but I just called to check on my status and was told that there would probably not be any waitlist movement (further movement I guess) until June 1st.

I don't know how helpful this is, but I just called to check on my status and was told that there would probably not be any waitlist movement (further movement I guess) until June 1st.

Thank you, father. That suggests those of us who haven't heard anything ought to know our fate this week or next.

For what it's worth, scitastic made a table of all the days applicants were notified of acceptances, with Monday being the most frequent. Seems like emails are sent out Monday-Thursday.

Kstreet I: 4/3 WL: dated 5/15, received 5/21

kstreet, did you only receive a snail mail notification? Or did you get an email as well?

scrunchy08: I: 4/28 WL: 5/21 (dated 5/15)

gplex86: I: 4/17, no notification yet

Crt428: I: 4/17, WL: 5/21

I called and the woman I talked to was pretty rude, I pretty much had to pry info out of her. She first said she didnt know when it started moving but that it goes up until August, then put me on hold for 5 min w/ no warning, then changed her mind apparently and said they're starting to look at applications now from waitlisters. It's definitely not ranked either, which makes it all the more fun:mad:

I called and the woman I talked to was pretty rude, I pretty much had to pry info out of her. She first said she didnt know when it started moving but that it goes up until August, then put me on hold for 5 min w/ no warning, then changed her mind apparently and said they're starting to look at applications now from waitlisters. It's definitely not ranked either, which makes it all the more fun:mad:

what about those of us who havent even gotten a waitlist yet?

Wow, at least you got her to say something. I called twice today hoping I'd get a different person, but got the same person that you must have talked to. All I got out of her was that there were still spots open and that we could be on it until August, the day before classes start :/. oi.

Wow, at least you got her to say something. I called twice today hoping I'd get a different person, but got the same person that you must have talked to. All I got out of her was that there were still spots open and that we could be on it until August, the day before classes start :/. oi.

Yeah doesn't exactly make planning our next move very easy...I'm on the WL at Drexel too but am going to CCOM in chicago if neither works out. I just can't see myself going through this whole process again and don't think it's worth it to spend an extra year and $$ on SMP when I can still be a doctor at least going to ccom. Dilemma is how long to wait for NYMC before it's Chicago all the way and no turning back. That's what's frustrating about this whole "non-ranking" deal. If I knew I was somewhere further up on the list, then I'd at least be more prone to giving it more time.

Yeah doesn't exactly make planning our next move very easy...I'm on the WL at Drexel too but am going to CCOM in chicago if neither works out. I just can't see myself going through this whole process again and don't think it's worth it to spend an extra year and $$ on SMP when I can still be a doctor at least going to ccom. Dilemma is how long to wait for NYMC before it's Chicago all the way and no turning back. That's what's frustrating about this whole "non-ranking" deal. If I knew I was somewhere further up on the list, then I'd at least be more prone to giving it more time.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm in a similar situation. It's such a looong and painful process. When does CCOM start? If it starts before NYMC, I guess you really have no choice. but, if it starts after, you can wait until the very last moment! as long as you know where you could potentially go that's always a plus :).

CRT im in the same boat as you with KCUMB as my destination if neither of my top 2 choices work out (Jefferson and NYMC). I am not even sure i would go to albany over kcumb cuz i wasnt too happy with how my interview day at albany went (they let us sit around for 3 out of 5 hrs and do nothign).

Crt428: I: 4/17, WL: 5/21
HigHal320: I 11:15, WL: Feb.

Yeah CCOM actually starts around the same time. Orientation is Aug 4th to the 8th. Problem is I'm going to have to sign a lease at some point which will be pretty binding, and my bf is moving w/ me out there, so it would kind of suck to keep jerking him around up until the day before classes start. Let's all just hope this damn list starts turning around sometime soon:thumbup:

sorry if this is a silly question, but what's ccom?

Oh and I received a rejection letter in the mail yesterday :(

sorry if this is a silly question, but what's ccom?

Oh and I received a rejection letter in the mail yesterday :(

So sorry to hear that! CCOM is Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine.

gotcha. it's ok. I've still got a few more WLs. Good luck to the rest of you!

eek.. i forgot that i could also be flat out rejected :scared:.. i hope thats not why theyre taking so long to notify me of anything