Nymc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. J?

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been invited to interview at NYMC and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the 800 mile trip. If any of you who've been there could help enlighten me on the environment there it would be greatly appreciated. Even better yet, if you are currently attending NYMC I would love to hear your opinion of the school.

For those who interviewed, what struck you most during your visit? What are NYMC's strengths/weaknesses? I need to hear everything, the good, the bad and the ugly. I don't want to drop a dime if it's not the place for me. I appreciate everyone's help in this matter.

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same debate a few weeks ago. Here is the thread with my questions.

NYMC Thread

In the end I decided to decline the interview because

-Omaha is much closer to home

-NYMC is not in NYC. I would like to live in NYC, but do not desire to live in the burbs.

-It seemed that it was at the bottom of most everyone's list.

-They did not match many people in the midwest, where I would like to end up.

Having said that, based on what I have heard, I think that a could have been happy there. I would just be happier at Creighton.

sounds like you've gotten in somewhere already by the tone of your post. mind if i ask where? your state schools maybe?

i interviewed there, i wasnt really a huge fan, for some of the reasons stated in that link jbj provided. unless you're dying to go to the northeast, I didnt find anything particularly great about the school that justifies the price tag.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also received an interview invite, but do not think I will go. Not that it is necessarily the case, but I have gotten the feeling that NYMC is a "last Choice" or "could not get into a UC" school. I could be totally wrong. My main reason for not going is $. NYMC may be a great school, but I don't think it is worth the $ if I can go to a SUNY.

On the other hand, 2 yrs. of clinicals in NYC would be AMAZING.

I guess I can't give too much advice though, since I have not actually been there.

Originally posted by JMD

On the other hand, 2 yrs. of clinicals in NYC would be AMAZING.

you're not actually guaranteed 2 years in the city. i had a hard time getting a straight answer on this from anyone, but as i understood it you can say where you'd like to do a rotation. more often than not you will get it, but sometimes you'll get stuck doing one in westchester if you live in ny or vice versa. i do think they offer a broad range of clinical experience (urban, rural, poor, wealthy), it just hard to know exactly where you'll get to go.

I cancelled my interview at nymc
I didin't think it was worth the train ride anymore

Originally posted by Iffy premed
I cancelled my interview at nymc
I didin't think it was worth the train ride anymore

good call

DW, Good call. I've already been accepted at Louisville. It's not my first choice, but I'm already here doing an MS. I'm a midwest boy at heart, but am looking for the best possible education/"fit" for MD school. I've interviewed at IU and declined at a few other places. I just want to be sure I'm exploring all the possibilities.

Does anyone know where someone can find Step 1 scores for schools and match lists?

Originally posted by Dr. J?
DW, Good call. I've already been accepted at Louisville. It's not my first choice, but I'm already here doing an MS. I'm a midwest boy at heart, but am looking for the best possible education/"fit" for MD school. I've interviewed at IU and declined at a few other places. I just want to be sure I'm exploring all the possibilities.

Does anyone know where someone can find Step 1 scores for schools and match lists?

I just looked at the tuition at Louisville and wow! Since you aren't a New Yorker and aren't dying to live there, I think this decision is easy.

i interviewed there a few months ago and was recently put on the waitlist but i declined the waitlist. main reasons are that people there didn't REALLY seem happy, even though they said they did. and another thing, it is way up in the boonies. my host took my to one of the main streets in the town with all the restaurants on a saturday nite; but it was soooo empty it just seemedl ike a ghost town