NYS compounding exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oxycotin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the New York compounding exam and have any pointers in passing it? Is it difficult? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone taken the New York compounding exam and have any pointers in passing it? Is it difficult? Thanks!
I took it last week and am now awaiting my results....I'll be honest--it was rather nerve racking. The advice I received from many NY pharmacists was to go a review class, and to go to the review at the site where you woud be taking the test so you could become a little familar with it. I took the review at LIU-Brooklyn (http://pharmacyboardreview.com/) and the exam there, but each of the other 3 sites in the state offer courses if you aren't in the Brooklyn area.

My advice would be to go to a review, practice all the problems and old exams they give you MULTIPLE times, and get some IV practice if you don't have much IV experience. A hospital friend hooked me up for that, which certainly helped. Oh, and try to stay calm during the exam. I was so freaked out the first 20 minutes, I couldn't think straight. I calmed down a little after that!

Can't answer your question directly, but can sympathize- I just took the Georgia practical exam. Sucks!
Just curious, what does the NY practical entail? GA has 3 parts: compounding (one IV and one non-IV), Pt counseling, and errors and omissions.

Can't answer your question directly, but can sympathize- I just took the Georgia practical exam. Sucks!
Just curious, what does the NY practical entail? GA has 3 parts: compounding (one IV and one non-IV), Pt counseling, and errors and omissions.
Day 1 is written and worth 40 points: 10 look alike/sound alike (just writing down the disease state various drugs are used to treat), 20 points errors and omissions, and 10 points math.

Day 2 is the scary stuff, and each is worth 20 points: 1 IV, then 2 of the following: capsules, ointment, suspension.