NYS compounding exam

Discussion in 'Pharmacy Licensure and Exams' started by Oxycotin, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Oxycotin

Oxycotin Member
    5+ Year Member

Has anyone taken the New York compounding exam and have any pointers in passing it? Is it difficult? Thanks!

2. DrugDealer

DrugDealer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I took it last week and am now awaiting my results....I'll be honest--it was rather nerve racking. The advice I received from many NY pharmacists was to go a review class, and to go to the review at the site where you woud be taking the test so you could become a little familar with it. I took the review at LIU-Brooklyn (http://pharmacyboardreview.com/) and the exam there, but each of the other 3 sites in the state offer courses if you aren't in the Brooklyn area.

My advice would be to go to a review, practice all the problems and old exams they give you MULTIPLE times, and get some IV practice if you don't have much IV experience. A hospital friend hooked me up for that, which certainly helped. Oh, and try to stay calm during the exam. I was so freaked out the first 20 minutes, I couldn't think straight. I calmed down a little after that!

3. andaheart

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Can't answer your question directly, but can sympathize- I just took the Georgia practical exam. Sucks!
    Just curious, what does the NY practical entail? GA has 3 parts: compounding (one IV and one non-IV), Pt counseling, and errors and omissions.

4. DrugDealer

DrugDealer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Day 1 is written and worth 40 points: 10 look alike/sound alike (just writing down the disease state various drugs are used to treat), 20 points errors and omissions, and 10 points math.

Day 2 is the scary stuff, and each is worth 20 points: 1 IV, then 2 of the following: capsules, ointment, suspension.

5. Oxycotin

Oxycotin Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks for the info Drug Dealer! Really appreciate it.