NYS Law and controlled substance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharma713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The other day I was interning at a pharmacy and a gentlemen came in to get his controlled substance refilled but there was an issue.

The previous month the families house was robbed and along with valuables being stolen so was the man's Oxycodone. The pharmacy manger filled the new script with the police report and all was fine.

The following month the man came in a couple days early to fill his script but the pharmacist on duty said he had to wait until the 31st day as he used up 7 days early. The man attempted to explain the robbery and the pharmacist said to call his doctor for advice.

Is there a mechanism in place to reset the states counter on refills due to circumstances like that of a robbery, fire, mugging, etc?

I felt bad for the man as he had cancer and a chronic arthritic condition. Personally I felt the pharmacist was being a bit tough seeing that the man lost many possessions.

Thought?

Members don't see this ad.

Section 80.69 - Schedule III said:
Unless an earlier refilling is authorized by the prescriber, no prescription shall be refilled earlier than seven days prior to the date the previously dispensed supply would be exhausted if used in conformity with the directions for use.
So, there is no "master reset" unless the prescription changes. Each pharmacy used would need authorization from the prescriber to reset the counter for that store.

If the prescription was written in a way that fits the patients pain needs, there really shouldn't be an issue for the patient to wait until the 7 day period has passed because he should have enough to last him. If the prescription was written in a way where it didn't match his pain needs then what he needs is a script reflecting a more frequent dosing or higher strength which would allow him to then fill the med as soon as he had the new script.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the prescription was written in a way that fits the patients pain needs, there really shouldn't be an issue for the patient to wait until the 7 day period has passed because he should have enough to last him. If the prescription was written in a way where it didn't match his pain needs then what he needs is a script reflecting a more frequent dosing or higher strength which would allow him to then fill the med as soon as he had the new script.
Way to read the OP.

The other day I was interning at a pharmacy and a gentlemen came in to get his controlled substance refilled but there was an issue.

The previous month the families house was robbed and along with valuables being stolen so was the man's Oxycodone. The pharmacy manger filled the new script with the police report and all was fine.

The following month the man came in a couple days early to fill his script but the pharmacist on duty said he had to wait until the 31st day as he used up 7 days early. The man attempted to explain the robbery and the pharmacist said to call his doctor for advice.

Is there a mechanism in place to reset the states counter on refills due to circumstances like that of a robbery, fire, mugging, etc?

I felt bad for the man as he had cancer and a chronic arthritic condition. Personally I felt the pharmacist was being a bit tough seeing that the man lost many possessions.

Thought?

Since he refilled early already due to extenuating circumstances, I probably wouldn't fill it again early either.

In NYS a police report is not a valid reason to fill a controlled substance early. Under no circumstance should you ever put your license in jeopardy and fill a controlled prescription earlier than 7 days over the life of the prescription. That being said, if there is a valid emergency, the prescriber can change the medication or the directions. If that is not good enough, you can refer the patient to the ER if he/she is in pain. Remember, it's your license on the line.