NYS pharmacy law regarding pen needles

Started by LeoBloom
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LeoBloom

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

Just wanted some clarification on this. Prescriptions on pen needles can, in fact, be called in, correct? Can the verbal order have refills and does a hard copy need to be mailed to the pharmacy? I can't find the law that deals with this specifically. Thank you.
 
I switched to hospital practice about 6 months ago after working retail in NY for about 1.5 years and unless something has changed in that time span, I was taught that pen needles are to be treated the same as syringes (i.e. - can't be e-scribed, called, or faxed in, but can have refills on a written order). However, to fight with such a dumb issue every day gets pretty annoying as most doctor's offices don't know/care about that particular law. I used to just ask for a hard copy to be mailed to me if I received a verbal, fax or call in for pen needles; I wouldn't flat out not accept it. I felt like by asking for a hard copy I had done my due diligence to try to comply with the law without annoying the **** out of myself and my customers on the daily. Just my opinion though. Only info I was able to find was from a presentation someone apparently gave in 2006 . .

http://noviasky.com/files/The_Law.pdf