How do you explain that ANY high end practice is struggling? Or are there no high-end practices struggling? The way to guarantee success is to build a multi-million dollar practice? Have you never lost a single patient to a chain-store OD? Not one?
Are there high end practices struggling? Probably.
Have I lost patients to commercial joints? Of course! Like the old saying goes, sometimes you just don't make a love connection. Not as many as when I worked in motel 6 type places though.
One of the best clinicians in our class (she eventually opened her own PP) started in a retail setting. Patients were thrilled with her. They even asked what the difference was between what she did and what the other PPs did charging twice as much. She said those PPs were just charging for bells and whistles.
So the patients that saw her were "educated" that you don't necessarily gain much by paying twice as much for the guy down the street. Would you like to guess if those folks referred their friends and family to see her? They sure did. Everyone likes to get a good DEAL, not just good QUALITY.
Huh? Why would she open a private practice of her own if all she's doing there is overcharging people for bells and whistles? Did any of her former patients follow her? I bet not because she "educated them" that the only thing private practice docs do is charge more for unneeded bells and whistles.
And you also state it was the world's best violinist playing the world's best violin. What is it about the quality of the PRACTITIONER that you disagree with? Would those folks buy Kennedy Center tickets for the local talent show winner, just cause it's at the Kennedy Center? Isn't that your position?
No, that's the whole point. The point is that the practitioner can be the best practitioner in the world and if they're working at Sears, the perception by MOST PEOPLE is going to be that they're the doc at Sears who fixes up my glasses, not a highly trained expert on ocular health.
Now yes, you or your friend or any good doc can "educate people" all they want about how wonderful the docs at Sears are and how they are just the same as those private practice docs so no need to spend any extra money over there at that private practice. I get that. I used to do it! I used to be a Sears doc! But the point is that now, I don't have to educate my patients at all. The facility, the atmosphere, the equipment, the exam all speak for themselves. I don't spend a single minute trying to convince patients that I'm better than the doc at Walmart or Sears because I don't have to. It's just obvious.
People buying a ticket to the Kennedy Center are there because they want to buy a ticket to see the world's best violinist. Those folks in the subway are on their way to work or on their way home. Most of them couldn't care less about classical music. You don't always get to hear the world's best violinist, but you do always have to listen to the guy rattling his instrument while you wait for the subway. Context matters.
Ok...Joshua Bell may not be a recongnizable face to most people since only two people walking by him actually recognized him. One of them actually attended the performace three days prior.
But the point I'm trying to make here is not about Joshua Bell. The point is that in order for something beautiful to be perceived as beautiful, it has to be surrounded by beautiful things more often than not. If you took a luxury bed and mattress and put it in a motel 6, how many people would notice or care? If you took a motel 6 bed and put it at the Ritz Carlton, everyone would notice AND care.