NYU 2012 postponement/withdrawal email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTisaGO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone receive the email today from NYU that they over accepted students and are now asking individuals to either withdraw (with $500 tuition deposit reimbursement) or to postpone admittance to Fa 2013 with an extra $10k in scholarship? I'm wondering what some of you are thinking. I would love to have an extra $10k added to my scholarship as part of fin aid package but I'm in my mid-30s and don't think i can wait around another yr.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone receive the email today from NYU that they over accepted students and are now asking individuals to either withdraw (with $500 tuition deposit reimbursement) or to postpone admittance to Fa 2013 with an extra $10k in scholarship? I'm wondering what some of you are thinking. I would love to have an extra $10k added to my scholarship as part of fin aid package but I'm in my mid-30s and don't think i can wait around another yr.
Wow- that is crazy that they would do that! Sounds pretty disorganized and so unfair for many people.
For those accepted this year and future 1st time applicants. Because if you think about it- let's say they over accepted 15 students and those 15 say "Ok we'll go Fall 2013" it means that 1- they have to do something else for that year (good and bad) and 2- people applying for fall 2013 (1st time applicants) have an even smaller chance of getting in because it would mean only 15 spots are left instead of the initial 30 (just taking numbers for example- not sure of the actual cohort size).

And what if no one wants the 10K and want to go 2012? Are they going to take back acceptances?

Good luck! I would probably say ok for 2013 because I'd be afraid to be one of those who might get their acceptance taken back (I am just speculating but not sure what their plan is). You could work for that whole year, save money and pay 10K less in 2013.

I also received that email today. What attracted me was the fact that it's a $10,000 annual renewable scholarship award but I'm not even sure what that means! $10,000 each year? Does that mean we're getting $20,000 total? I'll definitely email them about it. It's such an attractive offer and we're guaranteed a spot for 2013. However, I'm scared I won't be able to find a full-time job for the year so I'm very unsure about what to do :scared:.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also received that email today. What attracted me was the fact that it's a $10,000 annual renewable scholarship award but I'm not even sure what that means! $10,000 each year? Does that mean we're getting $20,000 total? I'll definitely email them about it. It's such an attractive offer and we're guaranteed a spot for 2013. However, I'm scared I won't be able to find a full-time job for the year so I'm very unsure about what to do :scared:.

I was assuming that it meant that you would be offered $10,00 for each year in addition to the financial aid package they already sent out but since it's an assumption I could be totally wrong. Please post after you find out any information from them. I also want to find out if nobody chooses the withdrawal or postponement then will they randomly take back acceptances. I just dropped a physics class that was a prereq for SMU where I'm waitlisted at #11! So......ugh:(

I just received that email today as well. While that offer does sound appealing, I don't think I can wait another year to start the program. The scholarship does help quite a bit considering the insanely expensive tuition at NYU so its a nice option if you can wait a year but its not for me.

I was assuming that it meant that you would be offered $10,00 for each year in addition to the financial aid package they already sent out but since it's an assumption I could be totally wrong. Please post after you find out any information from them. I also want to find out if nobody chooses the withdrawal or postponement then will they randomly take back acceptances. I just dropped a physics class that was a prereq for SMU where I'm waitlisted at #11! So......ugh:(

I received an email and it stated that it will be $10,000 a year and since the program is over 2 years, the student will receive more than $20,000 total as long as s/he maintains a full time status. I emailed them saying I'll postpone but didn't hear anything back yet, we'll see what happens!