NYU Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darwin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals! I'm new to this forum and am excited and pleased to have entered a forum that is actually quite helpful (as opposed to PR). You guys are great, and I hope that I can return to you what you give to me. Anyway, I just received the application for NYU and was wondering if the essay question "Please describe the motivational factors behind your decision to apply to medical school" is just a fancy way of stating, "Send us your personal statement". Although my personal statement does list motivations and why I want to be a physician, it also highlights some of my achievements (which doesn't actually answer the question directly). In other words, these achievements don't necessarily tell of my motivations, but rather what I have accomplished. Will this be acceptable? Has anyone else just submitted a personal statement? Thanks for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Darwin. Welcome. =)

I just ended up sending in my personal statement from the AAMC primary for the NYU essay. My personal statement was the same as yours. A small paragraph talking about motivation, and then the rest about my activities. Hope that helps!

I sent my PS too. :) Laziness, or efficiency? hmmm . . ..

Members don't see this ad :)
did u guys type or print on ur NYU app

type. my handwriting is like a doctor's. haha

Definitely type. This question has been addressed exhaustively elsewhere, and the concensus is TYPE. Imagine how many apps the people on adcoms have to read. Now imagine how annoyed someone who can't decipher your handwriting (or what YOU think of as neat printing) will be with you. That should provide plenty of motivation to go out and find a typewriter. Go to
Typewriters? What the $%^>#@*++!!!

for lots of discussion on the topic.