nyu downtown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Pill Counter

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know the difference between the nyu internal medicine program and the nyu downtown hospital internal med program? are they one and the same or is their a great difference in quality and reputation of the programs?
thnx

Members don't see this ad.

There's a HUGE difference between the two...do not be fooled. NYU Downtown is a relatively small hospital in the financial district that gets a good deal of its patient population from Chinatown (thus, it's a good idea to speak Mandarin). I believe most of the IM residents there are actually prelims, not many categoricals, and it's a small program. The regular NYU IM program trains at Bellevue, Tisch, and the Manhattan VA and has no contact that I know of with Downtown.

The NYU Downtown program is becoming an competitive program. 80% of their resident are domestic medical students and 20% international. The patients are mainly from both China Down and Wall Street. They have 15 to 20 positions for Categorical Int Med .

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU Downtown competitive?

The program has not filled through the match in at least three years. I am just curious to how you came to that conclusion?

The NYU Downtown hospital is a smaller community type hospital( formerly called Beekman Downtown Hospital) not to be confused at all with the regular NYU program.While the hospital has improved its reputation with its NYU affliation it is not competitive and in recent years many positions have not matched.Since it not all that far from the World Trade Center site, one might check into how this has affected patient volume and usage of the hospital.

nyskindr,

It seems you have pretty good insight into NY programs. I was wondering if you could help me with a couple of questions on NY programs?

Yes there are other examples of where Mt Sinai tacks thier name on to a lesser hospital to make it more attractive to prospective housestaff such as Mt Sinai Elmhurst- a city hospital in Queens or Mt Sinai Cabrini- a small community hospital with many img housestaff except preliminary medicine.These are much less competitive to get into.There may be a few months of the year or a few electives at Sinai but most of the time is spent at much lesser known place.However you still may make good connections for fellowships,check with current housestaff to see how they make out.The Bronx VA is a much more substantial and regarded place than NYU Downtown,but its out of the way relative to manhattan.

thanks for the advice. that's what i was thinking, but it's nice to get the confirmation.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Becket:
•NYU Downtown is a relatively small hospital in the financial district that gets a good deal of its patient population from Chinatown (thus, it's a good idea to speak Mandarin).•••••Was this statement written based on experience or your presumption?

While it is undoubtedly beneficial to both the patients and physicians who work at NYU Downtown to understand and be able to speak the Mandarin dialect of Chinese, this is really only a recent development. Chinatown was, and still is, largely composed of immigrants from the Guangdong (Canton) province of China and Hong Kong where the main dialect is not Mandarin, but Cantonese. Knowing both would surely be an asset, but if you could only know one, it would be Cantonese in this particular setting.

Tim-

While my impressions of Downtown are based on (limited)experience, I'll certainly accept your statement that Cantonese is the predominant foreign language spoken there. Many apologies!

•••quote:••• ••••Actually I had interview in both the NYU Downtown and Bronx VA. You are right the Bronx VA looks more substantial and respectful. However the downside is that the population of VA patients are mainly geriatric and male patients. They fix this by sending residents to the North Central Bronx Hospital. also a small community hospital in South Bronx. Regarding the diversity of patients NYU Downtown seems much better and the residents also have opportunity to rotate in Memorial Sloan Kethering Hospital, with reputation superior to the North Central Bronx. •••quote:••• ••••If you have interviewed at these places then you have better picture of what to expect than I do.If you like the patient mix better at Downtown and coupled with rotations at MSKCC and its Manhattan location and NYU assciation then it sounds pretty good!!