NYU Email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secretmiss

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, did anyone else get an email today from NYU, listing all the other schools you were acccepted at and telling you they want you to tell them where you are going? I was shocked, I guess schools do know where you got in already, and NYU isn't even AAMC.

Members don't see this ad.

I was about to post about that email. I was shocked too. In mine, they only listed the places where I'm still holding an acceptance.

How do they find out? And the May 1 deadline to get your deposit back? I find it a bit too much. I haven't even received fin aid packages from the other schools.

Yeah, was the date always May 1st, I thought it was May 15th?

And yes, they listed schools that I never accepted my acceptance at, so I am guessing the list they used was generated mid-March.

Members don't see this ad :)
The May 15 deadline applies to AAMC schools. I don't know if NYU posts their deadline on their website or application.

For me, they didn't list all the schools I got accepted at, but the ones where I was holding acceptances in March.

What are you planning to do? Are you sure where you'll be going?

Originally posted by secretmiss
I was shocked, I guess schools do know where you got in already, and NYU isn't even AAMC.

NYU is part of the AAMC, but not AMCAS. I didn't even think about that. I knew AMCAS schools had this list, but...?!

I think I am going to choose NYU although after the whole financial aid stuff this week, I am not as sure as I was. I don't think I am going to give them a definitive answer just yet.

Is it possible for them to take back our offer of admission if we don't drop all the other schools right away and instead wait until May 15th?

Is it possible for them to take back our offer of admission if we don't drop all the other schools right away and instead wait until May 15th?

That would unethical. It's ok for them not to refund the deposit after May 1, but to withdraw the acceptance before the AMCAS deadline is absurd. That's just my opinion, we should definitely make sure what their policy is.

I thought that email was unnecessarily terse and not very polite. I think they should know that we are still waiting for other financial aid packages and May 1st IS early. Also, they didn't offer any type of information on a second look weekend or anything else to help us decide if we were unsure.

Originally posted by missmod
I thought that email was unnecessarily terse and not very polite.

I couldn't agree more.

Wow, the fact that they're not even an AMCAS school and they know is threatening. :scared: It means that every school in the country certainly knows all about one's acceptances... but what about waitlists? Either way, very pushy.

I agree with everyone about the impolite email. I was surprise too! Did every one recieve their fin aid package from NYU already? I'm still waiting for my parents to file their income tax forms. Do you think that this is going to cause a problem at NYU fin aid?

Dear people who have been "highly offended" by NYU's email,

PLEASE oh Please withdraw your acceptance so that I can have your spot! Yes, that email was a direct reflection of the quality of the education you will receive there and how you will be treated as a student. So, it is in your best interest not to attend such a low-grade, impolite institution. Let me have your spot! PLEASE!!:love:

Wow,

They didn't send me the email, how come? I wonder if any other schools do this. The admissions director at BU acknowledges the fact that some lucky people have a tough decision to make and rather than putting them in arm bars and growling "Say Uncle," he is inviting them to an open house, complete with tours of Boston and an evening social.

NYU: nobody says "welcome" on interview day, nobody goes out of their way to sell you the school, nobody gives you any money, nobody gives you a second chance to look at the school, and apparently nobody gives as rat's fur about the May 15th deadline.

In defense of NYU, they have made every part of this process simple and as straight forward as possible. I admire them for that and I am fully aware of their tremendous reputation among residency directors. They have Bellvue and a great location. It's just that, well, I wish they communicated more with their incoming students, so we knew what we were getting into, and in-time for some of us to opt out if need be and attend a less expensive college.

It's gonna be a tough decision.

Anybody bold enough to reproduce the contents of the letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Super Rob
Wow,

NYU: nobody says "welcome" on interview day, nobody goes out of their way to sell you the school, nobody gives you any money, nobody gives you a second chance to look at the school, and apparently nobody gives as rat's fur about the May 15th deadline.

:laugh: That's why we love NYU so much! Yeah!! Welcome to New York!

YES! If they say May 1 firm that is the formal deadline if you do not accept them. Can they drop you between the 1st and 15th? Tough question. But most definitely, they would not have to give you back your deposit.

April 2, 2004

Dear Mr. So-and-So:

According to information provided to us by the Association of American Medical Colleges you were, as of the above date, holding places at New York University School of Medicine and at:

-School X

It is entirely possible that you have withdrawn from the other school(s) since the AAMC report was compiled. We are, however, at the point of completing the entering class and I would appreciate it if you would apprise me of your plans as soon as possible. Please keep in mind that if you would like a refund of your $100 deposit we will need a letter from you withdrawing from the New York University School of Medicine postmarked no later than May 1, 2004.

Cordially,

Raymond J. Brienza
Associate Dean of Admissions

I got an email a while back that basically said I was being taken off the waitlist since I never replied to their notification letter.
My reaction: "I was on the waitlist?"
I did get that notification a couple weeks after the email.
Oh well

Originally posted by fakeplaztiktree
I got an email a while back that basically said I was being taken off the waitlist since I never replied to their notification letter.
My reaction: "I was on the waitlist?"
I did get that notification a couple weeks after the email.
Oh well

OMG that sucks. I missed alot of stuff bc I moved. I would have had my Stanford and UCSF interviews earlier had I not moved.

Originally posted by Eraserhead
Ya'll would be crazy to turn down NYU. Just sign up and go.

UCSD aint a slacker school either. Care to trade?

i got no such email and I am holding spots at other med schools... i wonder why they only sent it to a few people?

NYU just went AMCAS for next year's cyle by the way.

At least that's what it says on their admissions web-site

I've been unimpressed with NYU's treatment of their applicants throughout this whole process. It's one thing to keep things "simple," but it's another to not even offer a host for someone who is flying across country to interview, provide almost no information about this school at all (I have stacks of info from other schools and a few sheets from NYU), and then have the audacity to email everyone a letter to "hurry up already." It's getting harder and harder for me to justify holding an acceptance there. Anyone have any info (besides the location and Bellvue) that might change my mind? Anyone on their waitlist that really wants to get in that might need my spot?

jay, NYU is definetely considered a good school, and it has a good national rep. I didn't apply there because I don't want to live in the city, but otherwise, I think it's an awesome school. What other places are you holding acceptances at? That might help make your decision easier...

Originally posted by jay16942
Anyone have any info (besides the location and Bellvue) that might change my mind?

Not really. That's all that's keeping me interested too...

NYU claims to emphasize international health care though, if that applies to you. Free clinics for Spanish and Chinese speaking communities in the city. And don't forget they only admit the good-looking people :rolleyes:

Honestly, I think it's an institution living on its old reputation and starting to realize it's slipping.

Well, don't forget that NYU is located in the heart of Manhattan and that it features Bellvue Hospital. It's also in New York City and many third years do their rotations at Bellvue Hospital. I think what draws me to NYU the most is that it's located in NYC and the fact that students learn medicine at Bellvue Hospital. Has anyone called to confirm NYU's New York City location and that thing about Bellvue Hospital?

I know how you feel. This place is expensive; WHAT ELSE IS THERE??? But it's got a rep and I think differences between most med schools are minimal (okay, I said it, now hang me).

And you can't really judge things by your visit. There is no correlation between a school's reputation, or the quality of an education available, and how much fun applicants have on interview day.

Columbia and Einstein certainly don't put on a show for you either. Those are both quick in and outs. Einstein doesn't even give you any information to leave with, other than a piece of paper with the name of your interviewer. Sinai and Cornell structure their days to include information sessions, but they get you out of there fast. Schools like Yale and Michigan, BU and Tufts try harder to suck you in with lots of presentations from various members of the admissions committee. They also hand you lots of information on their schools and have super happy students leading tours.

NYU is all about the postcard and the concise, no bs email messaging, and it seems impersonal, but it's efficient. I have no doubt that NYU is a great school because that seems to be all I hear about it, and the correspondence I've had with the school is not changing my mind about that. But, I'm with you guys, holding out to see just HOW an NYU education will serve us better than an education anywhere else. We can do our bests at any school but what will this school in particular do for us?

I've been unimpressed with NYU's treatment of their applicants throughout this whole process. It's one thing to keep things "simple," but it's another to not even offer a host for someone who is flying across country to interview, provide almost no information about this school at all (I have stacks of info from other schools and a few sheets from NYU), and then have the audacity to email everyone a letter to "hurry up already." It's getting harder and harder for me to justify holding an acceptance there. Anyone have any info (besides the location and Bellvue) that might change my mind? Anyone on their waitlist that really wants to get in that might need my spot?

I guess you didn't pick up your folder at interview which contained info on various things like the international medicine prog, fin aid, student life etc. I guess you didn't get a bulletin in the mail which was over 70 pages long with various information about the school. I guess you didn't the latest issue of NYU Physician which the dean personally mailed to all acceptancees.
If you ask me, I got Too much reading material from them.

BigRedPingPong,

When did you receive this 70 page bulletin? I never got one...

Does anybody know the trend of NYU's placement in the US New's rankings in the past... say 10 years?

BigRedPingPong,

When did you receive this 70 page bulletin? I never got one...

Does anybody know the trend of NYU's placement in the US New's rankings in the past... say 10 years?

I got this a long time ago. It has a big picture of the school on the cover viewing from the east river and showing the east river drive. Nothing major really, just a "directory" with names and schools that each of the students in each class came from. Also has match lists that go back a few years. And it has all the professors names and departments in it. Also, a bunch of policy stuff.

20ish...
.........thump
.............thump
................thump
......................ouch!
..........................ouch!
...........................thump
..............................thump
..................................ouch!
......................................ouch!
................................................. 30

Not sure why and not sure if it really matters. I think that there are a lot of great schools with very small differences separating one from another. US News makes it look like the school ranked 50th and the school ranked 60th teach two different types of anatomy. I've been thinking that more important than the US News ranks themselves are the subjective factors that make us think "Yeah, this is the school for me" and whether or not any particular residencies show bias towards the institution.

If I knew for sure that my interests lie in primary care medicine and that I wanted to live and practice in a rural area, I would rather go to a less expensive, rural school with a good reputation for primary care, even if the "rank" wasn't as high.

The downward spiral does sorta concern me, though. Can anyone account for it?

Originally posted by BigRedPingpong
I guess you didn't pick up your folder at interview which contained info on various things like the international medicine prog, fin aid, student life etc. I guess you didn't get a bulletin in the mail which was over 70 pages long with various information about the school. I guess you didn't the latest issue of NYU Physician which the dean personally mailed to all acceptancees.
If you ask me, I got Too much reading material from them.

Whoa man, I'm not attacking you (or NYU for that matter), so chill with the patronization.

I did get the brochures they handed us on the interview day, but didn't get any 70 page thing. I guess I'm comparing them to the other schools I'm considering- Wash U and USC, both of whom seem to communicate much more, have more informative interview days, and offer 2nd look weekends. I guess I just had higher expectations of their process based on what I have heard about NYU as a school.

I just received the email about holding multiple places...the problem is, it listed 4 schools, 2 of which I was rejected from, and 1 of which I didn't even apply to! Anyone else have a problem like this? I guess I'll call them to straigten this out.

Whoa man, I'm not attacking you (or NYU for that matter), so chill with the patronization.

I did get the brochures they handed us on the interview day, but didn't get any 70 page thing. I guess I'm comparing them to the other schools I'm considering- Wash U and USC, both of whom seem to communicate much more, have more informative interview days, and offer 2nd look weekends. I guess I just had higher expectations of their process based on what I have heard about NYU as a school.

I'm not trying to patronize at all. So, before reading on, see this disclaimer: NO OFFENSE! I just wanted to know your line of reasoning for the things you said. For example,

...It's one thing to keep things "simple," but it's another to not even offer a host for someone who is flying across country to interview, provide almost no information about this school at all (I have stacks of info from other schools and a few sheets from NYU)...

Let's think about this logically. Would you be comfortable sleeping on the floor of someone's 12 X 6 dorm room? I wouldn't. The possibility of having a student host is just not feasable given the layout of the building. It is not because NYU wanted to over simplify the process. Next, since you only have a "few sheets" from NYU, how many "sheets" did you receive from other schools? I didn't know that all the material you just mentioned in your previous post only constitutes a "few sheets."

Originally posted by BigRedPingpong
I'm not trying to patronize at all. So, before reading on, see this disclaimer: NO OFFENSE! I just wanted to know your line of reasoning for the things you said. For example,

Let's think about this logically. Would you be comfortable sleeping on the floor of someone's 12 X 6 dorm room? I wouldn't. The possibility of having a student host is just not feasable given the layout of the building. It is not because NYU wanted to over simplify the process. Next, since you only have a "few sheets" from NYU, how many "sheets" did you receive from other schools? I didn't know that all the material you just mentioned in your previous post only constitutes a "few sheets."

*Not offended* But I don't really feel like writing an essay justifying my opinions, so that's that. If you have any information about NYU that interests you in the school, I would definitly like to hear about it.

Has anyone applied for the housing yet? Are most people going for Rubin hall?

[BHas anyone applied for the housing yet? Are most people going for Rubin hall? [/B]

During my visit to NYU, a few students stated that living in Rubin is the only thing they're not too happy with.

Is anyone interested in looking for an apartment share in the neighborhood?

Rubin, my first choice. cheap... single... everything included with rent.

A lot of people complain about living in Rubin, but where I come from, a dormitory is a box with holes poked in the side for oxygen. I didn't get a good look at the room on my tour. I'm hoping to take a trip out to NYU some time and among other things, take another look at where I could possibly be spending the next four years.

I applied for housing. Maybe they're assuming I'm a sure bet and that's why I didn't get the "offensive" email. :)

I have several acceptances, and have not applied for housing, but did not get the email. I'm not sure what that's about.

But I'm definately going to NYU and looking forward to my little single room. I live in an apartment now and can't wait till i don't have to clean up a bathroom or kitchen, etc. I'm just worried about the toll living in a hospital will take on my psyche--the dorms do seem like mental wards attached to the hospital. But after a year i figure i'll move in with my rich financial consultant girlfriend in the village. yes!

i hear orientation is a blast!

Does anybody remember how the bathroom situation works in NYU? I remember that at Columbia, the hallway shares a communal bathroom. At Cornell, there is one bathroom for every 2 rooms. I don't think they ever really mentioned what it was like for Rubin Hall on my tour...

After asking around I got a connection at the medical school and learned my old orgo ta is a student.

He said that rubin is nice and super cheap but his least favorite part of nyu.

2 bathrooms for 30 people to a floor and one kitchen on each floor. Right next to the east side drive so its noisy so studying in rooms doesnt happen. Also can't get food deliveries to your room. He said that all the 1st years pretty much live there since they have a lottery and the second/third years get the apartment building across the street.

I don't think I can apply early without learning more. Too much pressure. Keep writing, i need the advice.