NYU Financial Aid Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alfie5884

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am completely lost. I have no idea which loans to apply for(subsidized Stafford, unsubsidized Stafford, private), which loans are better, which lender to pick(Sallie Mae/Citibank), which lender has the lower interest rates, consolidation, etc. :scared:

Are there any NYU dental students out there that can give me advice on what to do? :confused: Are there people I can go to about questions I have about applying for loans, like advisors?

I tried calling the NYU Financial aid office and they were NOT helpful at all.

Jen

Members don't see this ad.

did you fill out the Financial aid application (FAFSA)? If you haven't done that, you should probably do that immediately. www.fafsa.ed.gov

Once you fill that out, you'll find out if you get unsubsidized/subsidized stafford loans or not. Then whatever is left over, you'll need to borrow the rest from a private lender (CitiBank). CitiBank has a deal for NYU students.

definitely fill out fafsa ASAP if you have not done so already....at my undergrad and future school, i know they wanted to have a separate financial aid application filled out. I would also go ahead and send them copies of W2's from you/parents/spouse as well as copies of your filled taxes for 2005. They only need these forms if you are selected for verification, but i would send them anyways just to get ahead...doesn't hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
#1) apply for fafsa
#2) if you need additional loans you should pick out the prefereed lenders of the School. I heard that Citibank has a good deal with NYU. THey offer prime minus 1%. I do not think that other lenders offer that.

One thing to keep in mind is taht you do not receive your loans until september. So you may need some cash to hold over for a few months.

nshah613 said:
did you fill out the Financial aid application (FAFSA)? If you haven't done that, you should probably do that immediately. www.fafsa.ed.gov

Once you fill that out, you'll find out if you get unsubsidized/subsidized stafford loans or not. Then whatever is left over, you'll need to borrow the rest from a private lender (CitiBank). CitiBank has a deal for NYU students.

Yes, I filled out a FAFSA in February already. The things I'm unsure about is the unsubsidized Stafford and which lender to pick. Why Citibank over Sallie Mae?

I was gonna call financial aid on monday, but does anyone know what is up with the loan disbursement. I mean, someone said the loan amount is not disbursed until September and NYU classes begin in late August. Did I miss something?

1) Citibank offers anywhere between prime - o.5 % and prime + 0.3%, depending on your credit history. Currently prime is 7.5%.
I am not sure what others are offering, but please post the info if you find out.
2) I think our NYU loans will not come in until 1st of September.
NYU will not demand your tuition untiol your loans come in, but living expenses are on you until then.