NYU Honors Program / Summer Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Super Rob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else thinking about the honors program at NYU? I'm thinking of starting this summer.

Has anyone received a package in the mail regarding the program? I've been to the website and I'm looking through info about all of the researchers who sponsor students. Anybody have any insight into the application process (or the program itself) that they would like to share?

Deadlines, etc.?

Also, how knowledgeable are we supposed to be about the work that is carried out in the labs we are applying to? Would a rudimentary knowledge suffice (read curious and ambitious premed psych major) or are they looking for people with a strong hard science background involving oodles of prior biomedical research?

Members don't see this ad.

hey, i'll be starting the honors program this summer i think. i'm going up to talk to a couple researchers this week about working in a lab. my sense from speaking with honors program staff is that you don't really "apply" for the program. If you find a PI to work with you write a brief (under 500 words) note about what you want to do, send it to the honors office, then set everything up when you get there at the beginning of summer. call them and talk to laurie behringer, she's really friendly.

the best part is that they pay you, too. almost 400$ a wk.

Is the Honors program only open to those with strong biomedical research backgrounds, or do they provide any sort of training? I'm almost affraid to get in touch with the school to ask these questions. The people I have contacted so far do not seem enthusiastic about answering any of my "stupid" questions.

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
Which labs are you interested in, nighttrain? I'm over at NYU today visiting the Salzer, Chao, and Fishell labs...

SuperRob -

I believe that anyone who is interested in research can do it. A popular professor may not be so inclined to take someone with less experience, as he may have his or her pick from a few people. Just send your CV out to anyone you are interested in, and if they don't reply in a week or so, give them a call.

Are you talking about applying to their Honors Summer Institute? Or is this something different?

Do you have to go to NYU to do the honors program??

The Honors Program is for NYU medical students only. Basically a student has to put in at least 20 weeks worth of work and he or she gets a "with Honors" slapped on the MD diploma. If you are an undergraduate, NYU also has a summer program for that, and anyone from anywhere can apply. Pretty competitive though, I believe.

derisivewords said:
If you are an undergraduate, NYU also has a summer program for that, and anyone from anywhere can apply. Pretty competitive though, I believe.

Uh oh...Applied to that..but I think they have several programs for undergrads...I have to say though NYU is really bad with getting their decisions for the internships..First they told me that I would know by April 1 which has been moved to April 17..Ugh..hate waiting!