Nyu Incentive Deferrment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheeseytooth24

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody what would you do?
NYU is in a bind. They have over 270 students registered to begin classes Aug. 25th, their goal was 230 only. Emergency meeting by the Dean today with all Freshman. She announced that anyone who wishes to defer their enrollment until next year (2004) will have a spot waiting for them as well as a $44,000 scholarship with their name written on it spread over 4 years ($11,000 per/yr). Plus will get back their tuition deposit of $2,500 and housing deposit of $1,000. Would you people do it if it were offerred saying that the total debt at the end of graduating minus interest will be ~$280,000 if paying by loans like myself. And say you had a job waiting for you back home for the year so you can make like 35-40 k in the meantime. Thats like total of about $75,000 from scholarship plus earning. On the other hand you graduate on time and not defer you will make around 80k-120k starting avg. dentist salary. Take away taxes and your left with around 50-75 k, which is what you would save with the deferrment. Another negative is you will be a year older when graduating, but you can also have another year to enjoy before school. So what would you do. Other NYU classmates please give input as well. By the way the Dean (Novella Jones) said this will be first come first serve to the first 20 or so volunteers deadline Thursday (tomorrow afternoon). Plus if i go back I get to be with my girlfriend :) of a year which is also a plus. I still have to call my pops and see what he thinks about all this me coming back to cali and all. oh well. If they raised the scholarship to say like $65,000 or more I would defintely do it, but $44,000 is i dont know. Im siked about school and the people here are cool, but i'm definitely weighing my options.

Members don't see this ad.

NO WAY!!! I wouldn't do that for the world. A year is forever in dental school, if I could be one more year ahead, I'd probably give 44k.

i agree w/ craig. just about any dentist in this country can start at 100k right now. 44k + 40K is still less than 100K. Plus, you still pay taxes on what you make working. And, you pay taxes on the scholarship. Seriously, I would pay just to keep the spot in this years class. I know NYU is expensive, but 44 isnt enough to skip a year. hey, if you made 44k at home working, what would you spend it on? NYU next year. otherwise it would kill your fafsa. go to school. get it over with.

Members don't see this ad :)
My $0.02:

Reasons NOT to accept the offer:

- If you plan to specialize after dental school, time is of the essence.

- If you already went to the trouble of moving all your belongings from California and already got settled in in NYC.

- If you are a new college graduate coming off a good four years of undergrad. Taking off a year might knock your mind out of that "school mode" and dull your mental edge somewhat.

- If you are about 30 years old and changing careers. Time in this case is also of the essence.

Reasons to accept the offer:

- If you don't feel ready for dental school, i.e. burned-out from working too hard in college.

- If you are young and in no hurry.

- If after the whole application process you are still not sure dentistry is what you want, and need the time to contemplate the decision.

HTH!

Something else to consider.

Assuming you're going to work until age 65 or whatever:

You're not giving up your first year's salary. You'll still have to go through your first year out where you make 80-100k.

What you're giving up is your last year's salary, where you ought to make a bit more.

JMHO
Bob

If you are young (mid 20's) for dental school that is, I would definately take the year off and work - preferabley as a dental assistant or in a dental lab. That would be a great experience and make dental school a whole lot easier. If money is not an issue for you then, don't wait.

I'd do it. Obviously each person is different but I would definitely do it. I had the year off b/w undergrad and D1 but I didn't enjoy it as much as I could/should have. I stressed out about being accepted but once I was accepted the air was sweeter and life was great. Once you know you have a place somewhere the weight is gone and you're enjoying everything more. I had the option of deferring my admission a year and I thought about it but then ....actually I don't know why I didn't defer, I see no reason why I shouldn't have. Oh well I started anyway.

If you start school this year you'll think come November as to why didn't I defer and all the stuff you would be doing like sleeping and exercising or whatever floats your boat but if you take the year off, come November you'll wonder what you would have been doing if you went to school instead. The good thing is you'll find out a year later but if you start school this year you really will never know because you get started you shouldn't stop for a break.

I wish I could have read more, travelled more, gone out more and a lot of other things but I am very satisfied that I was able to hang out at home and rediscover my mom. If you're a mama's boy, like I am, or have an affinity toward a certain person, you won't be able to be with them that much during school and once you get out you'll start working and worrying about loan payments, patients, career, possible marriage and/or children. The ball gets rolling and before you know it you'll be in your 50's about to retire.

Bottom line is you know yourself better than anyone. If you think you're intellectually capable to take a year off and remain focused/sharp do it.

Good Luck

NYU needs to learn to control their enrollment.

Is everybody actually reading what was posted?!

Several points:

1) They have 270, but the goal is 230. They are offering the exception to the first 20 students. That means they will STILL be 20 students over their goal. Is there room for an over estimation of that degree?

2) 20 seats are going to be taken away from next year's incoming class. I'm sure all the applicants will be pleased as punch about that.

Very interesting scenario that could only happen at NYU. This is bound to make the CODA take a second look (again) at NYU.

There is plenty of room. In the second year they will just reduce the number of advanced placement students. As the dean explained, this year everyone in the class kept their spots vs going somewhere else. There are always a few students that drop in the begining thats why they have a waitlist, but this year statistics didn't work for the school and they had to do what they did. I don't see it affecting our class much at all.

Cool, good answer. I just envisioned the education of students really sucking because they are crammed like sardines into the labs and building, due to the school having 20 more peeps than they thought.

Well Gavin, you definitely get the award for piping up in the most posts on this forum. It's really amazing that you find all the time. Tell me, do you guys learn anything at that new college in Arizona? Because it seems that you have way too much time on your hands.

-Steven

NYUCD 07

Steven, why the personal attack? Totally uncalled for.

Our entire curriculum is electronic, so I often post while I'm studying or waiting for slides to download.

Our clinical cases are done online, so I'm often developing diagnosis and patient treatments into the early hours of the morning. Posting on SDN is a great break from that.

Also, we have mandatory attendance but I don't learn well from lectures, which gives me another 7-8 hours each day to surf the internet and study.

What does my posting have to do with your education?

Originally posted by itsmesteve
Well Gavin, you definitely get the award for piping up in the most posts on this forum. It's really amazing that you find all the time. Tell me, do you guys learn anything at that new college in Arizona? Because it seems that you have way too much time on your hands.

-Steven

NYUCD 07

That was totally uncalled for. Gavin was not personally attacking your school. He was just stating the facts. NYU does have problems, which are obviously public, and his concern relates to the integrity of the dental profession as a whole. If anything, he is looking out for your best interest since its seems NYU is overpopulating their class sizes which will only hurt the students in the long run.

I think you owe Gavin an apology. He has helped many of us here at SDN by his posts and I appreciate the time he takes to make them.

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinC,

Hey, though I primarily reside in the the pre-med (though I have yet to post there) and mcat (frequent poster) forums, I often stop in the dental forums. When I do, I like to read your posts and I am sure a majority of the dental people do as well. I also reside in Az and have some friends who are interested in attending the Az school (among many other schools) and I have told them about this forum and your posts.

I think the poster commenting on your posts may have been joking, but who knows and who cares. Somebody will probably make a comment about me being here, but I don't really care.

Later.

Hey Gavin,

I was just playing around. :p Sorry if you felt I was "attacking" you.
I have actually enjoyed reading many of your posts and daily schedules. This forum was made so that we can have a place to vent, question, answer, and to just shoot the breeze. Please continue to enrich the SDN Dental forums and I hope to see more of you in the future

-Steven

NYUCD 07

Originally posted by itsmesteve
Hey Gavin,

I was just playing around. :p Sorry if you felt I was "attacking" you.
I have actually enjoyed reading many of your posts and daily schedules. This forum was made so that we can have a place to vent, question, answer, and to just shoot the breeze. Please continue to enrich the SDN Dental forums and I hope to see more of you in the future

-Steven

NYUCD 07

Ahhh Yesss :) Harmony once again. The great thing about the dental forums is that we are all very professional around here and don't resort to personal attacks (at least not frequently anyway)

Let's keep it that way!! :) You're a good man Steve.

Now that all the hard feeling are behind us... :)

I was wondering if "accepting more students than the school can hold" is a common practice with most dental schools? Or is it just NYU?

Dakota,

Not only is it very common, it's pretty much the norm. Few schools can expect all of their acceptances in class the first day. However, NYU has a unique situation due to their class size. As we've obviously seen, they anticipate that a large number of their acceptances go elsewhere. In two years on this board, I have seen a quite a few NYU acceptees go elsewhere. That isn't a bad thing or a bash against NYU. The high cost just isnt worth the result for many students.

I have heard casually that schools expect 10 to 20% of their acceptances to go elsewhere.

ehop is right, it is the norm at nearly every school.

Steven,

No problem. Personal opinions are always what the forums are about, no apology is necessary. I hope you guys at NYU have a great year. My Dean graduated from NYU and was student body president of the dental school and then the entire university. He still has great feelings for his alma mater and he's passed much of that on to us.

I know at UNC this year there was a brief period where the admissions committee had 5 more acceptances than expected. It would not be possible to have that many in the class so there was high stress levels in admissions for a time. (all worked out well though).

So this does not only happen at NYU.

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
NYU needs to learn to control their enrollment.

Is everybody actually reading what was posted?!

Several points:

1) They have 270, but the goal is 230. They are offering the exception to the first 20 students. That means they will STILL be 20 students over their goal. Is there room for an over estimation of that degree?

2) 20 seats are going to be taken away from next year's incoming class. I'm sure all the applicants will be pleased as punch about that.

Very interesting scenario that could only happen at NYU. This is bound to make the CODA take a second look (again) at NYU.

There was a reason why NYU accepted this many students. To put it in a nutshell, less than a year ago, GME decided to get rid of stipends for dental specialty programs. NYU was opposed to this b/c they felt that residents deserved $$. So they decided to accept more students in order to avoid laying off employees/decreasing funds...

Well, the good news is: NYU led the charge in GME elminating this proposal.

Bad news: after NYU learned that GME reversed this proposal, they had already accepted more students than necessary.

Bottom line:
NYU's larger D1 class was warranted...Give NYU a break this year (ie: ease off on your advice, GavinC, about "learning to control" the acceptances) The Dean claims that NYU is aiming at accepting smaller classes starting 2004. If they don't, then yes, I agree w/ Gavin. They need to learn to control their enrollment. Let's learn the facts before denouncing NYU's actions.

I won't get into it, but I took GavinC's post as an attack on NYU also. I really don't care though. GavinC, don't deny it either b/c I'll cut n paste from your other posts where you subtly denounce NYU. For now, let's just drop it so I can enjoy my last week of summer b4 the studying begins...time to watch Baseball Tonight.

(to LEARN the facts about the GME crap:)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?threadid=76964

Originally posted by cheeseytooth24
Emergency meeting by the Dean today with all Freshman... By the way the Dean (Novella Jones) ... .

I was under the impression by this post and another that NYU had a new dean, meaning Alfano left, and Jones took his place but she's just the director of admissions, not a dean. Just wanted to clarify it for others.

pasha,

i guess you are really board of studying those teeth!! :D

wish you the best...

I wish it was teeth, I'm fed up with knowing the histology of monocytes, APUD cells and knowing the effects of an increase in stroke volume, thus contractility and increase in cardiac output plus having to know the ins and outs of the urea cycle.

any more inputs regarding this thread? IS NYU really cutting down on their enrollment this year?? :(

NYU is reducing their class size by 10% with a goal of around 210

Moreover, the few that took this deal will be part of that 210, so I imagine they will be taking some of those seats and not adding to it.

hey brocnizer...so if NYU is actually cutting down their seats, do you know their admissions standards are gonna be GPA/DAT wise?

Well I assume they will go up slightly but not much...maybe from a 18aa to a 18.5 or 19 at most.

It also has alot to do with the applicant pool which has been on the rise.

But I do not expect it to deviate much. But hey, surprises always happen.

Originally posted by PashaJ
I wish it was teeth, I'm fed up with knowing the histology of monocytes, APUD cells and knowing the effects of an increase in stroke volume, thus contractility and increase in cardiac output plus having to know the ins and outs of the urea cycle.

Man, I'm totally with you, but keep in mind that the stuff is relevant to a degree. Certainly it is relevant since we are paying for our educations.

But of course, hepatic and renal dysfunction impair the body's ability to break down and excrete local anesthetic, leading to an increased anesthetic level in the blood (better learn about kidneys and excretion).

Congestive heart failure decreases liver perfusion and thereby increases the half-lives of amide local anesthetics which increases the risk of overdose (better learn about the cardio system).

On and on it goes...