NYU interview/ acceptance rate myth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azimmer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got an interview for NYU and want to know how many people they accept out of the interview pool. I was reading past threads that said that they accept 75% of the people they interview, is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

I am also very curious about this! 75% would make me happy :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also very curious about this! 75% would make me happy :)

Hahah right? I've been reading it's somewhere between like 60-75% but I just want to know for sure so I don't get my hopes up.

All depends on when you interview... earlier in the cycle could be as high as 90% and later in the cycle 40%... there's no exact rate of acceptance in my opinion

It's "NR" (not reported) in the ADEA book, so we don't really know for sure. But I've read in older threads that they interview ~700 and accept around 2/3 of that. But none of us will really know for sure... I'm sure it varies from year to year... but I really hope they have a high acceptance rate after interviews! :)

I think they are being moire picky now. I know two friends who interviewed for NYU last year, one with a 20AA and another with 22AA. Both got waitlisted and was never offered an acceptance.

Last edited:
It's "NR" (not reported) in the ADEA book, so we don't really know for sure. But I've read in older threads that they interview ~700 and accept around 2/3 of that. But none of us will really know for sure... I'm sure it varies from year to year... but I really hope they have a high acceptance rate after interviews! :)

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I know schools admit more than there are seats and that makes sense (to account for people who have multiple acceptances and choose to go elsewhere), but this number seems like a little stretch. I'm guessing it's a smaller fraction than 2/3 if 700 is the interview number (which also seems like an awful lot of work for their admissions office and interviewers)

2/3 of 700 = 467 offers of admissions
NYU has an estimated class size of 240
(from their website: How many new dental students enroll annually?
Typically, 240 students are enrolled each year in the 4-year DDS program and 125 in the international 3-year Advanced Placement program.)

That's nearly 2 offers of admission for every one seat.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I know schools admit more than there are seats and that makes sense (to account for people who have multiple acceptances and choose to go elsewhere), but this number seems like a little stretch. I'm guessing it's a smaller fraction than 2/3 if 700 is the interview number (which also seems like an awful lot of work for their admissions office and interviewers)

2/3 of 700 = 467 offers of admissions
NYU has an estimated class size of 240
(from their website: How many new dental students enroll annually?
Typically, 240 students are enrolled each year in the 4-year DDS program and 125 in the international 3-year Advanced Placement program.)

That's nearly 2 offers of admission for every one seat.
Correct me if I'm wrong, according to NYU admissions, they are not accepting any international students this year due to visa issues. That means there will be more than 240 seats for domestic students.

I could be misreading that line but it seems like 240 seats and 125 seats are two different kinds of seats. That is to say that the 240 seats is exclusively for DDS applicants (where the domestic vs international conversation comes into play) and the 125 seats, which I am guessing isn't part of the 240, is for students who have received their dental training abroad and want to move to the United States.

My interview is in a week. I hope they accept me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is next Friday :/ I'm slowly becoming a nervous wreck because it is the first of my interviews. Are you looking at the interview feedback for preparation?

Mine is next Friday :/ I'm slowly becoming a nervous wreck because it is the first of my interviews. Are you looking at the interview feedback for preparation?

Yes, I did look at the interview feedback. I also did a mock interview with my pre-health adviser last week. It really helped alot. It felt like the real thing. lol. She made me nervous and challenged some of the answers just like a real intervierwer would. I started crying at a point in my mock interview. I hope I don't do it in the real thing. lol.

Anyway, she said I did very well. It was reassuring hearing that from her. Now I can focus on relaxing this week.

Last edited:
It is my first interview too! Mine is tuesday. Yes, I did look at the interview feedback. I also did a mock interview with my pre-health adviser last week. It really helped alot. It felt like the real thing. lol. She made me nervous and challenged some of the answers just like a real intervierwer would. I started crying at a point in my mock interview. I hope I don't do it in the real thing. lol.

Anyway, she said I did very well. It was reassuring hearing that from her. Now I can focus on relaxing this week.

Oh nice! I'm glad that helped because I have a mock interview with my pre-health adviser soon as well! Sounds like you're all prepared! You have nothing to worry about I'm sure you'll do great. Maybe we will both be in the NYU class of 2017 :xf: lol wishful thinking!

Oh nice! I'm glad that helped because I have a mock interview with my pre-health adviser soon as well! Sounds like you're all prepared! You have nothing to worry about I'm sure you'll do great. Maybe we will both be in the NYU class of 2017 :xf: lol wishful thinking!

Great that you have a mock interview set up too! It is the best way to prepare. Good luck on your interview! I swear, if I get an acceptance that I am looking for in Dec 1st, I am going to withdraw from all of my other schools. I don't like all this anticipations. lol.

Same interview day! See you there! I am extremely nervous :xf::xf:

I don't feel like there was a solid answer to this. Anyone want to add?

When I was there for my interview, the dean told us they accept 85% of the people they interview. That's for pre-December though, I'm not sure about post.

From what I can recall, I believe Dr. Mejia said 85% of applicants interviewed pre-December receive offers :)

As an aside, NYU's administration is wonderful and Dr. Mejia is awesome :)

did anyone else have a really short interview? I had mine back in the beginning of october, and my interview was only two questions! I tried lengthening the interview by asking some questions at the end, but it was maybe 10minutes long...? So difficult to gauge how I did...it was less conversational than what others said...:scared:

did anyone else have a really short interview? I had mine back in the beginning of october, and my interview was only two questions! I tried lengthening the interview by asking some questions at the end, but it was maybe 10minutes long...? So difficult to gauge how I did...it was less conversational than what others said...:scared:

Mine was quite short as well, maybe 15 minutes? It was definitely longer than just 2 questions though, and it was very casual. No use worrying about it now!

Mine was quite short as well, maybe 15 minutes? It was definitely longer than just 2 questions though, and it was very casual. No use worrying about it now!

Mine was an hour! I like to talk, so that could be the reason though. :D

yeahh mine felt like 15-20 minutes as well, and i remember he only asked 3 real questions. but at the end of the interview my interviewer said, "i wish i could talk to you longer but there are other applicants who i need to interview."

hopefully having a short interview means that they already know that they want us...? just being optimistic!

yeahh mine felt like 15-20 minutes as well, and i remember he only asked 3 real questions. but at the end of the interview my interviewer said, "i wish i could talk to you longer but there are other applicants who i need to interview."

hopefully having a short interview means that they already know that they want us...? just being optimistic!

Yes, they are short on time at NYU because they have to interview so many people. Mine was short too. I had to ask him more questions to keep the interview going.