NYU interview good or bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddsjymaeng

dentalschoolgogogo
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious if getting interview from NYU a good sign or not getting one
is a good sigh at this moment?

Cuz I heard NYU accepts people without interview if one has great stats...

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same hole as you I got an interview I don't know even if I should bother. Anyone?

I am in the same hole as you I got an interview I don't know even if I should bother. Anyone?

Most people take NYU as a back up school because of ridiculous tuition. I think you can defer the interview until december. Make up a reason that you have a very busy quarter and you're going to be busy until christmas break so you need to schedule the interview at a later date. Just a thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering how many applicants this year, I wouldnt fool around even with so called safety schools like NYU anymore. Just go do the interview.

As a D1 this year at NYU, and after being accepted last year w/o interview I chose NYU over other private schools like BU and Tufts. I am not the only one as I have met several people that chose to come to NYU. My point is NYU is a great school, I doubted it until I came to visit it and talk to the students. Sure the tuition is huge and it is logical not to come here if u get into your state school, but I only applied to private schools, and out of all of them I think living in NYC and attenting NYU would be the best for me. I will be part of the group that meets you during your lunch during your interview here, so I'll be looking forward to meeting you guys.

I am very excited to be coming september 18th. I'm actually really nervous about the interview but I'm excited to be meeting the students and expecially to be visiting nyc!!! the best city in the states (well I believe)

I don't get it. Why is it such a bad thing to get an interview at NYU? Its not that they won't accept you just because you were invited for an interview.

Can someone explain?

interviews are always a bad sign

I did not get an interview from NYU
they just sent me a letter few days ago that they are under review.

I am just wondering if they do not give interviews until december would that be a good sign or what?

I don't get it. Why is it such a bad thing to get an interview at NYU? Its not that they won't accept you just because you were invited for an interview.

Can someone explain?

It's not a bad thing as far as getting accepted. NYU has an enormous turn-over of applications. It is known as a safe school so a lot of people apply there. The deal is... A lot of people that are accepted w/o interview are the same people that get into their state schools and competetive schools like Harvard, UoP, etc.... and never enroll. It is only bad, b/c one can view flying out there as a waste of money if it is one of their bottom choices. This is why a poster above recomended interviewing later in december. If you are accepted to one of your higher choices december 1st, than you can cancel the interview and save $$$$.

Do they usually send out rejection letters before dec 1st, assuming the application is complete and in early like aug or sep?

I mean.. If not, no letter until that late would be either an acceptance w/o interview or just a plain rejection.

anybody has any idea?

I am very excited to be coming september 18th. I'm actually really nervous about the interview but I'm excited to be meeting the students and expecially to be visiting nyc!!! the best city in the states (well I believe)

i second that! Who wouldn't want to go to NYC?
Interviews are good signs because bad signs are no interviews with rejections

Do they usually send out rejection letters before dec 1st, assuming the application is complete and in early like aug or sep?

I mean.. If not, no letter until that late would be either an acceptance w/o interview or just a plain rejection.

anybody has any idea?

In NYU they live in their own world. I have more than 10 friends in NYU and someof them are seniors already. Some of them got accepted w/o interviews, but some had to wait until august to get their acceptance letters (having better grades). They're really weird. They sometimes schedule interviews if u didnt take the DATs. So im putting the NYU aside until (I hope its not gonna happen) I get rejections from everywhere else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe what I'm reading. This post belongs in the bizarro SDN world. Of course it's a good sign to get an interview from NYU..or anywhere for that matter. They have thousands of applications right now..if they plucked yours from the pile and asked you to come interview, that is most definitely a good thing. I have my interview Sept 21st..couldn't be more excited about it.

Can someone explain?
It could be because many applicants are banking on an acceptance w/o interview just in case . Also the expense of travelling to NY is about $600...

Plus I've heard that they interview the more borderline people. If you are solid, they will just accept you w/o it. So if you get an interview, that means they aren't sure about you.

it's never bad to go to an interview. if you get interview, the earlier the better. even if NYU is your back up school, you actually need to get accepted first. once you are accepted, then you have your options.

You are obviously not very bright if you didn't get accepted to NYU without an interview...good luck getting in anywhere else.

You are obviously not very bright if you didn't get accepted to NYU without an interview...good luck getting in anywhere else.

That was an unnecessary statement. Why do you have to be so hostile to others?

That person asked a legitimate question. I don't know what your stats are (based on your comments, you are probably really proud of your stats) but no matter how high they are, please give other people respect.

I understand that you are entitled to your own opinion... but please, voice them out in a more respectful way.

Many of the posters are anxious enogh as it is...

I don't want to seem rude to you, but please, please, please be more respectful.

look I'm really sorry, your right... that wasn't nice. I'll try and be better.

?!?! Sloth isn't the only one making fun of the OP. I can count 4 others that are sarcastic towards the question.

Since when is an interview bad?

"Oh boo hoo, NYU didnt accept me, I have to go to an interview first"

Thinking you would get accepted w/out an interview seems pretty pompous to me.

Personally, I don't understand why NYU accepts applicants without interviewing them. Everything I've heard from people who go there is that the place is pretty darn cool, but that you have to actually walk around to get the real feel for it. If the best applicants to NYU never get to see the beautiful facilities or talk to students then why would they be inclined to choose NYU over the other schools they visited and fell in love with? I think NYU pretty much concedes that the majority of those students accepted without interviews will go somewhere else and instead chooses to wine and dine applicants who statistically might be a better fit for the school. It's a good school and graduates some fine professionals. I would be very happy to get an interview there.

i interviewed at NYU, the other day. they told me that they have 2500 Applications already sent to them which is almost totals the amount they had all last year... The people i interviewed with all had pretty darn good stats... i consider myself a lil above avg for NYU but not by much... some had already interviewed with case and upenn i believe....

they told me that they usually accept people with high stats whose applications come in later, but do make exceptions. This is due to the fact that they may need to fill some spots bc some (she prob met most) students who were accpeted earlier in the game with an interview like to go to their cheaper state schools.. One thing that is cool is that their reserach facility is awesome and i would love to do research their with their renowned doctors..

I personally liked NYU, the only turnoff for me is the money but i love the location, the city and the students i met.

So considering the fact they have almost 2500 applications already and i was one of the earlier ones asked to interview, i felt good about it. Maybe im wrong, but who on SDN is the on the NYU admissions stafff and can tell me what exactly is going on in their heads over there.