NYU Interview - HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTWannabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just received a call for an interview at NYU next Friday. Has anybody been on that interview yet and/or could give me some good interview advice? How should I be prepared? I think they said it's going to be me and 2 or 3 faculty or clinicians.

Also - everyone always says you should have a creative answer to 'Why do you want to be a PT?' Any creative suggestions?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I also received a call from NYU on Friday, but they left a message and told me to call back. What did they say when they called? Did they set up an interview for a future date? Also, is it going to be a phone interview or you flying out there? Thanks!

They set up the interview for this Friday when they called last week. The interview is in person, and luckily I live in the area so it will be an easy commute. Are you planning on flying out for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I set up an interview for Saturday, so yes I am flying out! I am so excited! Congrats to you too for getting an interview!

Also, did you understand everything the interview entails, such as the short essay at the end? I don't quite know what that will be.

The woman on the phone that I spoke with described it as a 'short, 5-10 minute writing section.'

Do you have any idea of how many people get interviewed? Wondering what our chances look like :)

when did u send your application to NYU in? I mailed mine so it would get there by Dec 1. I haven't heard anything from them yet....

They either received my app on Nov. 28th or Dec. 1st. I was surprised how quickly I heard back from them (Dec. 5th). Are you sure they received everything (including GREs) by the 1st?

I think my app got there Nov 26th and I received a call for interview on Dec 5th.

I have no clue how many people are being interviewed. I wish I knew more about previous years' numbers on how many people applied and got in.

PTWannaBe, what do you doing in terms of dressing "professionally" for the interview? Btw, Good luck tomorrow!

And I wish the best for you too, smiley1

Thanks for responding guys...
They should have had my GRE's long before my application b/c I sent them when my other apps were due(by Oct 15)...I guess i'll have to wait and see. I think i'm gonna give them a call on Monday to see what the story is..

kcrunningchick - Sorry I couldn't reply earlier! How did your interview go? Everyone was so friendly! I tried finding out about numbers (applied/accepted), but nobody could tell me how many students generally apply. But the current 3rd years have about 32 students, 2nd years have around 38, and 1st years have about 42. They said they are trying to go back to being smaller though, so I guess they will be accepting less students this year. :confused:

smiley1 - Any luck after calling today? I talked to one professor who gave me the impression they may be interviewing more people.

I didn't have a chance to call them, but it didn't matter b/c they called me yesterday and asked me to interview...yay!! I'll be interviewing on Jan 9th...any good advice? what types of questions did they ask? and what was the short writing assignment?

I'm also interviewing January 9th. Congrats everyone! The short essay I had to do at Hunter was "name and describe a person who has had a big influence on your life", so maybe the NYU one will be the same?

i also got an interview for Jan 9th! so i guess i'll be seeing you there smiley1?

anyone have any advice regarding the questions asked during the interviews? im so nervous!

Congrats to all of you with interviews! The interview process was not as bad as I expected. Everyone was super nice at NYU and the questions were focused on you and not on outside information.

Here's a few things to consider in regards to the interview: Think about why you want to be a physical therapist, and specially what you like about NYU. The interviewers also are curious to know how you are prepared for a career in physical therapy, in terms in being a leader and being able to handle challenges. For most of the questions you simple talk about yourself and your experiences. Just go in there confidently and you will do great! Best of luck!

Was helpful to read all of your posts about the NYU interview. I have an interview with them on Fri Jan 22. I am very excited! Have you guys heard anything from NYU yet? Also did they happen to mention how many people they are thinking of admitting this year?