1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

nyu interview with psychologist

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ippie, Dec 3, 2008.

1. ippie

ippie ippie
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    did anybody get a reponse for the thank you email after interview from the psychologist interviewer in NYU???
    i emailed thank you email to my psychologist interviewer, and he replied me back. is it good sign or just nothing???

#1 ippie, Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. prydA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i sent a ty letter to him but he never responded. i have yet to hear back from nyu either

4. gomawum

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hittleman(right?) toughest interview I've ever had....
    I'll see if he liked me during interview by end of this week... :xf::)

5. jlee1986

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i emailed him a few days after my interview and got a response the same day..

6. whlee84

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    none of my interviewers responded to my thank you emails, but I got accepted to all of them. Whether or not they respond to you doesn't mean anything. BUT I guess a response is at least better than a no response...?

7. Orgodox

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hey guys I heard about this interviewer but I didnt have him when i went to NYU. Whats the deal with him? What does he ask that is so different from any other person?

8. rawknee

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I had him. I really didn't think he was that bad until I got out of my interview and the other interviewers and nyu students said "omg you had hittelman how did it go?!?!?" Then I realized I guess he was a little tougher but its really all how you handle it.

He grills you in the beginning about negative stuff on ur app.... grades, specific classes, stuff he thinks is missing from your personal statement.
    Then he asks you specifics... why do u feel like you can be a dentist for the rest of your career? (right after I explained why I loved dentistry so much), why evolutionary ecology research? if you were to research here what would you be interested in?

That was the first half. He's a psychologist, hes just doing it to see how you react. Second half he was a lot nicer and we just talked. I missed the dean's speech because we were talking so long.

9. Phobos

yeah, he was scary. felt like i lost my soul after i walked out of there.

10. robg

robg Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I had him too and he was pretty tough on me but I have thick skin and I just got an acceptance from NYU so it was more than worth it.

Looking back it was one of my favorite interviews, but it was almost surreal when it was happening.

11. misstoothfairy

misstoothfairy smileeee!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Does someone wanna shoot me with a PM on what makes this guy so different from other interviewers. I kinda wanna get an interview with this guy just to test my interview abilities lol.

12. DrillerC

DrillerC Good Luck Everyone
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I was interviewed by a psychologist at Pittsburgh. It was kinda fun. She certainly made me explain myself more than other interviewers.

13. dent2009

dent2009 YEEE BOI
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i heard that he/she is brutal... be prepared...

14. Mstoothlady2012

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I had him....it was my first interview and I was just so nervous. I think I completely bombed that interview. Also I didn't hear back from him about thank you letter. I made a stupid mistake in the thank you letter though. Instead of November 24th, I wrote December 24th....I didn't wanna email him again so I just ignored that part. I hope that doesn't hurt my application. I am pretty sure I will be waitlisted there.

15. achilles2

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I hope I get him for the lulz

16. milkymonster

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I had an interview with him. I sent a thank you letter and I received back the next day. And even his reply encouraged me somewhat. I think my interview did not go well since I was told all the bad things about my application. (GPA, lack of passion about dentistry...etc) Of course, he asked me same Q again and again and again...Well, I am pretty sure that I will be on the waiting list, but still, praying to God for my acceptance is only what I can do now..

17. misstoothfairy

misstoothfairy smileeee!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ouch. what was your GPA? Don't worry, I had a couple C's that I was grilled on. They don't really care, they've heard every excuse(reason). Just say how you improved.

18. CaliPreDent

Pre-Dental
    Out of curiousity...did you guys get accepted after interviewing with him

19. CaliPreDent

Pre-Dental
  20. HillsNayyr

Dental Student
    I just had an interview with him about a week ago....I don't know if he's changed over the years but I didn't think it was bad at all. The only real negative things he mentioned was my lower score on DAT math compared to my other scores and that he thought I had a low amount of shadowing (35+ hours...).
    My friends at NYU dental said that if I thought it went ok with that guy then it's probably a very good sign. I'm hoping they're right.

21. prsndwg

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    is he the only one who does interviews?

22. Stoico

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  23. Stoico

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

I think I had the interview the same day as you with, I had him before you. He was a tough interviewer just stay calm. He commented on two bad grades that I got, otherwise everything went great.

24. HillsNayyr

Dental Student
    Nope, there were other interviewers when I was there.

25. HillsNayyr

Dental Student
    Who were you? I was the chatty guy from Minnesota that got up for doughnuts about 3-4 times while waiting for the interviews to finish up haha.

26. Stoico

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I was the guy you were talking to for most of the time right after your interview. Im the guy from California.

27. HillsNayyr

Dental Student
    Ahhhh cool man. You should PM me your facebook.
    So did you get to go out and enjoy the city with all it's rainy bull**** after the interview?