NYU Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jd27

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently received an interview at NYU. I was wondering what the chances are of getting accepted after getting an interview. Is it 50/50?

Also, I heard that NYU has more incoming students during the second year of dental school. How is that possible? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by jd27
I heard that NYU has more incoming students during the second year of dental school. How is that possible? :confused:

Almost every school has this. The incoming students are foreign trained dentists who want to get their degree here in the U.S. for NYU, expect about 100 of those to be added to the class of 250 ppl.

Comet

Thanks Comet for your reply. I can't believe the class grows to 350, 100 being international. I wonder how that affects the students and the program.

Comet, I see that you are on the waiting list from last year. Did you have to interview again?

jd27

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey
jd when is your interview?
mine is next week

The only honest answer I can give you is to pay attention to how the facillities are set up over there. I think that they do a pretty good job of managing their large class size with a dedicated professor for every row in labs. However I think that some people will simply not be able to thrive in such an environment. I think the best thing to do is to see if you could like it there with the way they structured their learning environment.

There are advantages and disadvantages to the way they do things there.

Here is the key:

If you are the type of person that may fall behind and has always or a majority of the time had a faculty come to you and say " Hey whats going on, do you need help?" Then do not come here.

If you are the type of person that when you begin to fall behind and SEEK help, then the class size is not an issue at all. There are many many people willing to help if you SEEK them out.

All said and done, sometimes the class size gets annoying but majority of the time it is handled properly. You would never guess we had 260 people in my class if you went to an anatomy lab. There are only 65 people in the lab at a time ( 15 are dead though :laugh: )

^^^ Good one!

Yeah that's what you guys told me on my visit over there. Everybody basically impressed upon the need to have the kind of personality to seek help when you need it. If that is not how you are, then I suppose that another school may be better for you. One thing I heard was that the foreign dentists that join you can be very helpful sometimes.