NYU interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NA4242

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone interview at NYU for this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe they won't do them until after Christmas...let the smart people who were using NYU as a backup choose other schools and then they can be more effective in interviewing and save us all money. I bet come January all of us will hear from them.

They are also letting more students in without an interview this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
VegasBabyVegas said:
...says the letter from NYU.

Which letter? I got a letter saying my application was under review and that they ARE handing out acceptances without interviews. But it doesnt say that they are handing out MORE acceptances without interviews this year. Am I missing something?

It does not say anything about more people getting accepted without interviews. I talked to admissions committee and they told me that they have already started interviewing. They are just a bit late.

Todds2be@work said:
It does not say anything about more people getting accepted without interviews. I talked to admissions committee and they told me that they have already started interviewing. They are just a bit late.

i think it's pretty unfair to not interview the good applicants with high stats until after dec 1. what if nyu is their top choice? i know it's unlikely, but this method doesn't sound very professional. if nyu was so scared people would use them as a backup, then maybe they need to get their act together and try to give off a better impression of their dental school...so that people would actually pick them as a possible top choice, rather than a backup.

I just got off the phone with NYU, and they ARE admitting more students this year without interviews compared to previous years. She said the reason is unknown. And they are NOT accepting more out-of-state students without interviews to save them money.... so that's just rumor. They will start sending acceptance letters w/o interview starting 12/1, and will be sending out more interview invitations later.

kittylover said:
I just got off the phone with NYU, and they ARE admitting more students this year without interviews compared to previous years. She said the reason is unknown. And they are NOT accepting more out-of-state students without interviews to save them money.... so that's just rumor. They will start sending acceptance letters w/o interview starting 12/1, and will be sending out more interview invitations later.

I second that. I was at NYU couple of weeks ago and the person at the admission told me the same thing. the reason: could it be that Amy is not part of the dental admission anymore? at any rates, I'm sure many SDNers will get acceptances at other places.

I just got invited for an interview at NYU?

I've been calling and calling NYU for what seems forever, my application has been under review with the admissions committee since August...
I know this cycle is compettitive with a huge amount of applicants but it be nice to know whats going on...
I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed for December first ... :rolleyes:

Good luck everyone!

last Friday's interview was 4 students, and the coming Monday's has 2 students booked when I called them last Thursday.

dexadental said:
I've been calling and calling NYU for what seems forever, my application has been under review with the admissions committee since August...
I know this cycle is compettitive with a huge amount of applicants but it be nice to know whats going on...
I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed for December first ... :rolleyes:

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
benbenxu said:
last Friday's interview was 4 students, and the coming Monday's has 2 students booked when I called them last Thursday.

4 students? gee...sounds like nyu makes excellent use of their time...

guys,

I attend NYU, my stats were 3.75 19/19. NYU was my first choice. To tell you about people getting in with bad stats is all a joke. The school has 236 students in there D1, obviously some people who have a 3.0 and 18 DAT get in and that doesn't mean its a bad school. The school is so big that they take all different kinds of applicants and therefore even if a student has a 3.0 and a 18 get in maybe they have something like a good job or a business or something that impressed the school. Most ppl in the school are from california or from the Western states and they have 20's and above on there DAT. I would say more than 60 percent.
Now as far as taking people without an interview, Amy Knowles isn't there anymore and they don't have a person who organized things before. Therefore if you have a 3.7 and a 19 or 20 why would they interview, they feel you belong there and take the load. Obviously they won't accept ppl w/ bad scores. That is why there are no interviews, not because there late or anything.
My friends go to other schools and honestly i would say NYU is one of the hardest schools to do well since your competting against may applicants. Passing is a 70 unlike state schools where you can get a 65 or even a 55 which is a D in classes like biochem or other classes. So i don't know why people say that its a easy school.
The number one issue is that people don't go there as there top choice because to attend cost 55k without expenses and with expenses your adding another 20k.
Here you go guys...everything you need to know about NYU

Garry11 said:
guys,

I attend NYU, my stats were 3.75 19/19. NYU was my first choice. To tell you about people getting in with bad stats is all a joke. The school has 236 students in there D1, obviously some people who have a 3.0 and 18 DAT get in and that doesn't mean its a bad school. The school is so big that they take all different kinds of applicants and therefore even if a student has a 3.0 and a 18 get in maybe they have something like a good job or a business or something that impressed the school. Most ppl in the school are from california or from the Western states and they have 20's and above on there DAT. I would say more than 60 percent.
Now as far as taking people without an interview, Amy Knowles isn't there anymore and they don't have a person who organized things before. Therefore if you have a 3.7 and a 19 or 20 why would they interview, they feel you belong there and take the load. Obviously they won't accept ppl w/ bad scores. That is why there are no interviews, not because there late or anything.
My friends go to other schools and honestly i would say NYU is one of the hardest schools to do well since your competting against may applicants. Passing is a 70 unlike state schools where you can get a 65 or even a 55 which is a D in classes like biochem or other classes. So i don't know why people say that its a easy school.
The number one issue is that people don't go there as there top choice because to attend cost 55k without expenses and with expenses your adding another 20k.

sorry. but that sounds so biased (probably because you go there). so nyu is just the perfect school right?

i'm sorry, but i find it very hard to take seriously a school that accepts 250 students for professional training. not to mention the way that they are doing applications this year is just so disorganised and unappealing. so what if amy knowles is gone? unless she just quit on them with no prior notise, they should have prepared for it. it's not like they didn't know they would have to go through the application process this year again. and IF amy knowles did leave them without much prior notise, well hm. i wonder why. :laugh:

I have been to NYU. It is not a bad school.

I just got an interview invitation letter yesterday. I haven't scheduled a time yet (because it's turkey day!).

r0entgen said:
sorry. but that sounds so biased (probably because you go there). so nyu is just the perfect school right?

i'm sorry, but i find it very hard to take seriously a school that accepts 250 students for professional training. not to mention the way that they are doing applications this year is just so disorganised and unappealing. so what if amy knowles is gone? unless she just quit on them with no prior notise, they should have prepared for it. it's not like they didn't know they would have to go through the application process this year again. and IF amy knowles did leave them without much prior notise, well hm. i wonder why. :laugh:

no one's forcing you to go anywhere, if you don't like a school, don't go there.

I for one am very happy with my choice of NYU, and I turned down Penn for it. As for the organization and logistics of the 250 kids, they do an excellent job and I haven't had any real complaints except maybe the elevators are crowded and I have to stand close to other dudes.....

I'm having a blast here.

phremius said:
no one's forcing you to go anywhere, if you don't like a school, don't go there.

I for one am very happy with my choice of NYU, and I turned down Penn for it. As for the organization and logistics of the 250 kids, they do an excellent job and I haven't had any real complaints except maybe the elevators are crowded and I have to stand close to other dudes.....

I'm having a blast here.

ok look. i never said anyone was forcing me to go anywhere. i am merely making comments about the school. i have talked to some dentists, and they have all told me not to attend nyu. i understand that you may be strongly biased because you attend there, but that is fine. i, on the other hand, have no reason to be biased because i don't even attend any dental school yet. i am just stating my opinion. whether you agree with it or not, that's your own option. but don't put words into my mouth by saying i thought someone was forcing me to attend nyu.

phremius said:

I'm having a blast here.

Hey, just out of curiousity, why did you turn down Penn for NYU? Penn actually claims to be the best school in the US because they say they give you the most balanced clinical and didactic learning experience. From what I saw, I agree with their balance and I think it can be a good school for someone who wants to specialize or be a general dentist.

So what did you love about NYU? You turned down a school with a good reputation (whatever that's worth) for one with a bad one. I'm really interested in why you picked NYU. What your motivations were. Are you happy? Are you impressed with the program? How life is outside of studying. All that sort of info.

And it's really good you picked NYU for all the reasons you have. Picking Penn for "reputation" certainly is a bad choice!

Audio said:
Hey, just out of curiousity, why did you turn down Penn for NYU? Penn actually claims to be the best school in the US because they say they give you the most balanced clinical and didactic learning experience. From what I saw, I agree with their balance and I think it can be a good school for someone who wants to specialize or be a general dentist.

every school engages in self-proclamation of how great they are. Any school that's accredited will give you the same opportunity for the same didactic and clinical training

audio said:
So what did you love about NYU? You turned down a school with a good reputation (whatever that's worth) for one with a bad one. I'm really interested in why you picked NYU. What your motivations were. Are you happy? Are you impressed with the program? How life is outside of studying. All that sort of info.

uh huh, this vague and nebulous "reputation"... reputations seem to come from a few bumfuc ks on SDN that posts heresay and such, therefor, I didn't care to listen to them. I didn't pick penn cause they both costed the same, and I would much rather be in NYC than in philly, also I remember thinking how ghetto some of their facilities were, and also some family friends that were alumni at Penn who told me not to go.

I picked NYU because of NYC, good impression from my interview, and hearing good things from people who were going there. The bad things I heard from there were either ******ed or more or less in line with the complaints I heard from kids at other schools.

I am very happy with my choice, but not that I, or ANYONE would have some objective form of comparison, but I doubt that there is some one miraculous school out there that guarantees high board scores, fresh caviar and cold Vuelve Clicquot in the cafeteria, and school-hired blow-jobbers to relax you between waxups.... outside of studying? um... let's see, I am in the heart of ****ING NEW YORK CITY! So of course I'm having a blast ;)

phremius said:
every school engages in self-proclamation of how great they are. Any school that's accredited will give you the same opportunity for the same didactic and clinical training

uh huh, this vague and nebulous "reputation"... reputations seem to come from a few bumfuc ks on SDN that posts heresay and such, therefor, I didn't care to listen to them. I didn't pick penn cause they both costed the same, and I would much rather be in NYC than in philly, also I remember thinking how ghetto some of their facilities were, and also some family friends that were alumni at Penn who told me not to go.

I picked NYU because of NYC, good impression from my interview, and hearing good things from people who were going there. The bad things I heard from there were either ******ed or more or less in line with the complaints I heard from kids at other schools.

I am very happy with my choice, but not that I, or ANYONE would have some objective form of comparison, but I doubt that there is some one miraculous school out there that guarantees high board scores, fresh caviar and cold Vuelve Clicquot in the cafeteria, and school-hired blow-jobbers to relax you between waxups.... outside of studying? um... let's see, I am in the heart of ****ING NEW YORK CITY! So of course I'm having a blast ;)

Good points. I didn't mean it to be confrontational or anything. Just wanted a different perspective. How does NYU do on board scores? Also, what's the clinical experience like. How early do you get your "hands" wet?

Garry11 said:
guys,

This guy obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. Just because passing is a 65 or 55 doesn't mean that the class is on the same level as say a class at NYU where passing is a 70. Buffalo has 8 hours a week of dissection for gross anatomy meanwhile NYU has plastisized bodies which are already dissected for you. I would say that a 65 passing is fair in gross at Buffalo veruses a 70 at NYU.

Those NYUers couldn't get that 65 even if they tried. :laugh:

Garry could though because he's a genious!! :love:

Dentist 2 be said:
Buffalo has 8 hours a week of dissection for gross anatomy meanwhile NYU has plastisized bodies which are already dissected for you.

Dissection is a huge waste of time. I did the same crap and dissected 8 hours a week to only learn for 30 min. You spend so much time cutting crap out to get to the good stuff you really don't learn well. Plus you are a dentist not a physician so don't give me the bull crap of that you need to learn how to cut deep into the body. Cutting oral mucosa is easier than hell.

I wish we had plastisized bodies as that would increase real anatomy learning. I think some of the cali schools don't disect either. I also believe, but could be wrong, UNLV uses electronic dissections.

Dental students disssecting = waste of time