NYU Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeAmCommi

Los Angeles Smog
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

NYU just invited me for an interview. I'm happy that I'm being considered but I'm also dissapointed that now I have to fly across the country again. My last adventure to NYC costed me 700+ dollars! Considering all my other successes with interviews in California, should I go to NYU's? I mean, I haven't even gotten into a d-school yet.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

EyeAmCommi said:
Hey guys,

NYU just invited me for an interview. I'm happy that I'm being considered but I'm also dissapointed that now I have to fly across the country again. My last adventure to NYC costed me 700+ dollars! Considering all my other successes with interviews in California, should I go to NYU's? I mean, I haven't even gotten into a d-school yet.

hey commi, congrats on your interview invite. can i ask if you are a reapplicant with NYU? you mentioned that you already went to nyc previously. was this for a previous interview at NYU? if so, what cycle year? sorry about the number of questions but i'm pretty much in your boat. from socal and interviewed at NYU for a spot for the '04 cycle. reapplied this year. hear you on the cali d-schools. sucks. to give you my two cents worth....if you haven't gotten in yet and have the financial means then i would definitely go to the interview. what do you have to loose. nyu is still interviewing for seats not waitlist, so yeah, i would go. good luck.

I got an interview too on March 24. If I were you, I would definitely go, especially if you haven't gotten in yet! In my opinion, if dentistry is truely what you want to do, then money is not an issue as far as travel costs. This is an opportunity for you to wow them and get accepted. I hope to get accepted because I would love to go to NYU since my mother and sister lives there and because they are known clinically to be a strong program! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
EyeAmCommi said:
Hey guys,

If you can afford it definitely go. By the way, How were you contacted for the interview? By email? By snail mail etc.,?

Thanks for the responses. It's pretty unanimous. I think I have decided to go but I'm gonna push back the interview date to as late as possible. Possible early April. This will give me a "chance" to hear from some schools before I purchase my plane tickets. (crossing my fingers and toes!) The interview will also give me some experience in case I have to reapply this coming June....God forbid.

To answer the first question, I was in NYC interviewing for Columbia before and blew a huge wad of my money. This is my first time applying and am not a reapplicant.

The invitiation came by e-mail but the phone lady said they also sent a letter.

EyeAmCommi said:
Thanks for the responses. It's pretty unanimous. I think I have decided to go but I'm gonna push back the interview date to as late as possible. Possible early April. This will give me a "chance" to hear from some schools before I purchase my plane tickets. (crossing my fingers and toes!) The interview will also give me some experience in case I have to reapply this coming June....God forbid.

To answer the first question, I was in NYC interviewing for Columbia before and blew a huge wad of my money. This is my first time applying and am not a reapplicant.

The invitiation came by e-mail but the phone lady said they also sent a letter.

You will get into a California school, probably UCLA.

EyeAmCommi said:
Hey guys,

#1 I'd very much like to see you at UCLA. I still think you have a good chance to get accepted.
#2 If you decide to interview at NYU you may want to choose JetBlue to cut the cost:

JetBlue has a direct flight from San Jose, CA to JFK:

Web Fare***********$139.00 USD
Fri, 31******Mar 06********Flight 174,
10:00 pm****Depart********San Jose, CA (SJC)
6:20 am*****Arrive*********New York NY (JFK)(next day)

You may be able to do it with less than $300:
In New York @6:20 am,
Interview at NYU @9:00 am
Return in the evening (JetBlue, United or whatever airline that gives you the best deal).

You may want to take a look at these as well:
CheapTickets
travelocity
priceline

L8DYV said:
You will get into a California school, probably UCLA.

Anything could happen at this point. I applied to NYU so I think I'd be happy to go there if it came down to it. Thanks V.

dat_student said:
#1 I'd very much like to see you at UCLA. I still think you have a good chance to get accepted.
#2 If you decide to interview at NYU you may want to choose JetBlue to cut the cost:

JetBlue has a direct flight from San Jose, CA to JFK:

Web Fare***********$139.00 USD
Fri, 31******Mar 06********Flight 174,
10:00 pm****Depart********San Jose, CA (SJC)
6:20 am*****Arrive*********New York NY (JFK)(next day)

You may be able to do it with less than $300:
In New York @6:20 am,
Interview at NYU @9:00 am
Return in the evening (JetBlue, United or whatever airline that gives you the best deal).

You may want to take a look at these as well:
CheapTickets
travelocity
priceline

Wowzers, that ain't bad. The quotes I was getting from expedia.com were at least 500 dollars.

EyeAmCommi said:
Anything could happen at this point. I applied to NYU so I think I'd be happy to go there if it came down to it. Thanks V.

UCLA and UCSF shares the list of who's accepted and waitlisted, so they will decide admissions based on their lists as well. So your chances are still good, because if one doesn't take you, chances are the other one will.

L8DYV said:
UCLA and UCSF shares the list of who's accepted and waitlisted, so they will decide admissions based on their lists as well. So your chances are still good, because if one doesn't take you, chances are the other one will.

Is this why UCLA hasn't called me yet? =/

give yourself every chance to be accepted to at least one school this year
the cost of flying to NYU asap << the cost of reapplying next cycle

HEY, were you the one sitting in front of me in the columbia interview?!! the one with the magnetic bracelet? well I interviewed at NYU and got in 3 weeks after, its the only school that accepted me, haven;t heard anything from columbia, not gonna put my hopes too high, i didn;t know u haven';t gotten into anywhere yet, in that case you should definately go, book ur flight early, stay at a cheap motel in queens and take the morning subway right to NYU (only about 30-40 mins depending where u stay), and if ur not planning to get sightseeting..... then it shouldn't run more then....300 maybe even less. anyways if u have any specific questions on the interview, just PM me.

Mrxle3 said:
Is this why UCLA hasn't called me yet? =/

It could be a reason, that's just what the interviewers told me.

ohcdc said:
HEY, were you the one sitting in front of me in the columbia interview?!! the one with the magnetic bracelet? well I interviewed at NYU and got in 3 weeks after, its the only school that accepted me, haven;t heard anything from columbia, not gonna put my hopes too high, i didn;t know u haven';t gotten into anywhere yet, in that case you should definately go, book ur flight early, stay at a cheap motel in queens and take the morning subway right to NYU (only about 30-40 mins depending where u stay), and if ur not planning to get sightseeting..... then it shouldn't run more then....300 maybe even less. anyways if u have any specific questions on the interview, just PM me.

Haha yea man, that's me with the bracelet. Good to see you on SDN and thanks for the advice. I'll definitely go back to the Big Apple.

I should stay in Queens? Doesn't it take a long time to get across the bridge?

EyeAmCommi said:
Haha yea man, that's me with the bracelet. Good to see you on SDN and thanks for the advice. I'll definitely go back to the Big Apple.

I should stay in Queens? Doesn't it take a long time to get across the bridge?

nah man, just stay close to the 7 train, http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

take it to grand central and take the 6 train to 23rd and ur there.

If u have been accepted to Columbia, I would forget about NYU interview. It's not worth to spend money to go NYC for ur interview at NYU

steve0036 said:
If u have been accepted to Columbia, I would forget about NYU interview. It's not worth to spend money to go NYC for ur interview at NYU

I've been waitlisted there despite having an awesome interview experience. I think I just applied a little too late.

Does anyone know if the interview is 1 on 1 or 1 on 2? And if we have multiple interviews?

Thanks!