NYU MD/PhD secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dr. Chiquita

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I am going crazy. I swear I saw a maximum of 2000 characters for both why MD/PhD essay and research descriptions. I have been working hard to cut my essays down to that, but today I opened the app again to complete it...and I see that the charcter limits disappeared. Help! 😕
 
I noticed the same thing. I spent a lot of time cutting down my 2 page research summary down to 2 paragraphs, and now they took of the character counter! I emailed the school, but still no reply. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back.
 
Ok, here's their response:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
We found that the 2M word limit was too short and asked that the IT
people remove it. They did so over the weekend.

Sorry for the confusion.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what "2M word limit" means, but I guess that there are no more restrictions...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

Is anyone here who has already submitted his or her MSTP application to NYU already? I did, while having great difficulty shortening the whole essay. If you did, do you plan to submit the application again? I'll probably try to call the admission officie to see if they would allow another submission.

Thanks.
 
i just called the mstp office and they said that you can either submit the application again online and/or send them a hard copy and they will automatically know why so you don't really need to explain.
 
I'm just wondering what length you guys are going to shoot for now. I have between 800-1000 words for each of the two responses now, but I think this may be adding a little too much. Any thoughts?
 
wisteria318 said:
i just called the mstp office and they said that you can either submit the application again online and/or send them a hard copy and they will automatically know why so you don't really need to explain.


Thank you wisteria318 for your post. I got an email from them a few days ago confirming what you wrote as well.
 
tedrik said:
I'm just wondering what length you guys are going to shoot for now. I have between 800-1000 words for each of the two responses now, but I think this may be adding a little too much. Any thoughts?

That's how much I wrote as well, around 800 words. I thought that was just enough for me to explain everything.