NYU or Temple?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dent_Dent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question has been asked many times on this forum and I have read through most of these threads.

However, I would like to have additional input from fellow SDNs.

I have already put down $5,000 deposit for NYU and just received my temple acceptance.

I am OOS for both NYC and Philly.

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

That deposit stings, doesn't it? I wish we could get it back.

Both are good schools. Temple was just gorgeous inside. The preclinic room made me drool and everyone seemed really happy. The neighborhood made me a bit uneasy though and I'm from the bronx :p. But the savings would be 100k-150k, no? I'd side with temple, considering the new faculties, similar patient rosters/philosophy and the huge savings.

Look past the $5,000. You can no longer change that. If it was me, I'd choose Temple and it wouldn't be close.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Going to Temple will save you over a 100k.

Reactions: 1 user
Always go cheaper. Howerver, from an educational and clinical perspective - I've heard NYU is actually really great. There's a ton of students (farm of sorts) - but if you can take that, I hear they are pretty well run there.

As others have mentioned, look past your deposit. If cost is a factor, you are essentially giving $5,000 to save $100,000+.

I didn't apply to Temple so I'm not sure of how the quality of life is there but it can't be more expensive than NY in cost of living. Just make sure you live in a safe area in Philly.

Temple ALL DAY

It depends on what you value. Do you love big, diverse student body in a large, dynamic city? I know both schools serve LOTS of patients which means you have plenty of opportunities to practice and enhance your clinical skills. I interviewed at NYC and I heard about their unique opportunities including Invisalign certification and predoc doing simple implants. In general, a large school has vast amount of resources. To some individuals, the high cost is justified given they are convinced they will enjoy the time there and learn a great deal of dentistry (and feel proud).
If cost concerns you more than most other factors, Temple is not a bad choice either (safety in Philly might be a concern though).

honestly, you can't go wrong at either school. taking a step back and trying to look at the positives of NYU (hard to do since i'm a d2 and i'm stressed out of my mind), this school gives you a whole lot of opportunities which many other schools most probably can't. any school can train you to become a good bread and butter dentist. schools like NYU give you a slight edge with an emphasis on esthetic dentistry training, which gives you a whole new scope of dentistry. being that a vast majority of esthetics was pioneered here at nyu, it's really cool to learn first hand from famous celebrity dentists and people who invented really cool things.

that being said, it is expensive here. as anyone will tell you, it's not the tuition that gets you, it's the cost of living in nyc. but if you're smart about it you can definitely manage. you need to decide if it's worth it to you.

honestly, you can't go wrong at either school. taking a step back and trying to look at the positives of NYU (hard to do since i'm a d2 and i'm stressed out of my mind), this school gives you a whole lot of opportunities which many other schools most probably can't. any school can train you to become a good bread and butter dentist. schools like NYU give you a slight edge with an emphasis on esthetic dentistry training, which gives you a whole new scope of dentistry. being that a vast majority of esthetics was pioneered here at nyu, it's really cool to learn first hand from famous celebrity dentists and people who invented really cool things.

that being said, it is expensive here. as anyone will tell you, it's not the tuition that gets you, it's the cost of living in nyc. but if you're smart about it you can definitely manage. you need to decide if it's worth it to you.
If you don't mind me asking... Did you get accepted to other schools? Are you happy you chose NYU?

i did. and despite all of the long days and nights and chaos, yes i am happy.