NYU required PDA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mackchops

Toothy grin
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm pretty psyched about getting some reading material in the mail, but one of the things in there that bugs me a little is the computer requirements. I knew that they required a computer (and YAY that they're letting me bring a mac -- can't wait until leopard comes out!), but I didn't know about the pda. They seem excessive and unnecessary. Current NYU students, do you guys actually use these things? If I'm getting one, I might as well get a smartphone -- wish the iphone was coming out CDMA though... sigh.

Rambling on,
Mack

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard good things about the Dell Axim, but rumor has it that Dell may be getting out of the PDA market in the future. Should I still look into it?

So I'm pretty psyched about getting some reading material in the mail, but one of the things in there that bugs me a little is the computer requirements. I knew that they required a computer (and YAY that they're letting me bring a mac -- can't wait until leopard comes out!), but I didn't know about the pda. They seem excessive and unnecessary. Current NYU students, do you guys actually use these things? If I'm getting one, I might as well get a smartphone -- wish the iphone was coming out CDMA though... sigh.

Rambling on,
Mack

I was shocked to find out that NYU wants their students to get PDAs too. I wonder what theyre gonna have the students use it for? Oh and I heard the first generation iphones aren't going to be so great.

Members don't see this ad :)
i also wonder the same thing you need one when your also required to carry a laptop. Now pda's suck when it comes to medical software but they have a great battery life. one thing is if your getting a pda you might as well get a treo phone that way u dont need to carry a phone, pda, laptop, and does anyone know if they give lockers to students in nyu? thx

PDA....just another stupid thing NYU requires

I don't know why you nerds keep talking about computers, but if a school requires public displays of affection, sign me up (provided they can also find me a really hot new york guy) !!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:;);)

another way of making some extra money.

What are the PDAs used for? I know it may be helpful when you start clinics, but why require one so early.

i use my pda to listen to music on the way to school... thats about it..
although they say we'll be using it next year for the epocrates program...
some people also download their schedule in it since the class's labs and conferences are split up, but i just memorize when and where...

and yeah, we get 2 lockers- one right next to the lab we work in for our instruments and another one somewhere in the building for coats/bags- although freshmen get real skinny lockers that barely fit a bookbag...

i have a friend who is a d1 at nyu...told me to get the treo...says its great having ur schedule in ur phone since it changes on a daily basis...als its used later to upload different documents and things when in clinic

What about a Blackberry? Pros/cons? I know nothing about PDAs, so I'm just tossing this out there for discussion.

it needs a palm operating system

not true, look on the site they give regarding epocrates requirements. windows is also allowed for an operating system, hence NYU allowing the 700p or 700w.

700 =p has the palm os...the 700 =w is windows and it says on the website to contact the tech office if u have the 700w

is the iphone compatible with the epocrates software?

i wanna go to nyu but pdas scare me. and i'm an engineer. haha how sad... just never got around to using one hehe :laugh: