1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

NYU required PDA

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Mackchops, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Mackchops

Mackchops Toothy grin
    15+ Year Member

Dentist
    So I'm pretty psyched about getting some reading material in the mail, but one of the things in there that bugs me a little is the computer requirements. I knew that they required a computer (and YAY that they're letting me bring a mac -- can't wait until leopard comes out!), but I didn't know about the pda. They seem excessive and unnecessary. Current NYU students, do you guys actually use these things? If I'm getting one, I might as well get a smartphone -- wish the iphone was coming out CDMA though... sigh.

Rambling on,
    Mack

2. drdoodle

drdoodle Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I've heard good things about the Dell Axim, but rumor has it that Dell may be getting out of the PDA market in the future. Should I still look into it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JeanetteYu

JeanetteYu New Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

I was shocked to find out that NYU wants their students to get PDAs too. I wonder what theyre gonna have the students use it for? Oh and I heard the first generation iphones aren't going to be so great.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mmasurf

10+ Year Member

i also wonder the same thing you need one when your also required to carry a laptop. Now pda's suck when it comes to medical software but they have a great battery life. one thing is if your getting a pda you might as well get a treo phone that way u dont need to carry a phone, pda, laptop, and does anyone know if they give lockers to students in nyu? thx

5. RozhonDDS

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    PDA....just another stupid thing NYU requires

6. CaliDDS

2+ Year Member

7. dentalwannabee

dentalwannabee busy bee
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I don't know why you nerds keep talking about computers, but if a school requires public displays of affection, sign me up (provided they can also find me a really hot new york guy) !!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:;);)

8. Revelde

Revelde Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    another way of making some extra money.

9. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What are the PDAs used for? I know it may be helpful when you start clinics, but why require one so early.

10. gel1681

gel1681 Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i use my pda to listen to music on the way to school... thats about it..
    although they say we'll be using it next year for the epocrates program...
    some people also download their schedule in it since the class's labs and conferences are split up, but i just memorize when and where...

and yeah, we get 2 lockers- one right next to the lab we work in for our instruments and another one somewhere in the building for coats/bags- although freshmen get real skinny lockers that barely fit a bookbag...

11. kjheller

kjheller MGOBLUE
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i have a friend who is a d1 at nyu...told me to get the treo...says its great having ur schedule in ur phone since it changes on a daily basis...als its used later to upload different documents and things when in clinic

12. drdoodle

drdoodle Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What about a Blackberry? Pros/cons? I know nothing about PDAs, so I'm just tossing this out there for discussion.

13. kjheller

kjheller MGOBLUE
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    it needs a palm operating system

14. Smileisland

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    not true, look on the site they give regarding epocrates requirements. windows is also allowed for an operating system, hence NYU allowing the 700p or 700w.

15. kjheller

kjheller MGOBLUE
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    700 =p has the palm os...the 700 =w is windows and it says on the website to contact the tech office if u have the 700w

16. Smileisland

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ahhh, my bad.

17. clammy

Pre-Dental
    is the iphone compatible with the epocrates software?

18. uvaGirL07

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i wanna go to nyu but pdas scare me. and i'm an engineer. haha how sad... just never got around to using one hehe :laugh: