NYU Students Commit Suicide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpicyTooth

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow. Combine that with the high suicide rate for dentists and I'm practically assured of killing myself there...

Wow. Combine that with the high suicide rate for dentists and I'm practically assured of killing myself there...

You will be missed Mackchops! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is all in 2004. All the links point towards the same story, 6 students committed suicide at NYU in 2004. In addition, never did they say what program these students were in, if in fact any of them were in d-school for that matter.

I think this thread is meant to be a joke. But it is odd that 6 people from one school would all choose to make "the leap"....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That is pretty funny. Hopefully not true though.

why the hell are people worried about suicide statistics...it's not like it's gonna affect you unless you're completely emotionally unstable....in which case, you shouldn't even go to dental school.

wow...truly bizarre. could all 6 events be random and just a mere conincidence?..6 is a lot for one school over the given time period

why the hell are people worried about suicide statistics...it's not like it's gonna affect you unless you're completely emotionally unstable....in which case, you shouldn't even go to dental school.

How shallow of you...I'm amazed you got into dental school with that kind of mentality!

wow...truly bizarre. could all 6 events be random and just a mere conincidence?..6 is a lot for one school over the given time period

NYU has a total enrollment of more than 38,000 and there are pretty direct correllations between the publicity of incidences of suicide and increases in suicide rate in the population.

Lol, none of the people who commit suicide are dental students. The suicides occurred inside the 12 floor undergrad library and they have since installed glass to prevent people from jumping.

Lol, none of the people who commit suicide are dental students. The suicides occurred inside the 12 floor undergrad library and they have since installed glass to prevent people from jumping.

You are correct that none of those students were in the dental school, however only the first 2 suicides occurred in the library (my roommate actually witnessed one). Most of the rest took place in off-campus buildings (some right in the main campus area, and some much farther away). They were all very sad and unfortunate events; but HeMan is absolutely right about the publicity of incidences increasing the suicide rate.

Members don't see this ad :)
How shallow of you...I'm amazed you got into dental school with that kind of mentality!

Im confused how that statement could have offended you. however, he is right. Suicide statistics should have no effect on a student. And how that statement should keep him out of dental school is beyond me.

Im confused how that statement could have offended you. however, he is right. Suicide statistics should have no effect on a student. And how that statement should keep him out of dental school is beyond me.
Yeah, no kidding
confused.gif

I'm trying to figure out why a lot of the people on this site are working towards going to dental school, when it's obvious they would rather be adcoms and decide who gets in. Having said that I don't think Infinite's post was the most tactful, but oh well.

Grad school, undergrad, urban living, and life generally can be pretty stressful at times. Suicide may affect your chances of getting in to dental school in the following cycle.

:( The stats are saddening. Suicide is selfish you only hurt the people who love you. Plus you get to spend an eternity in hell for the terrible sin.

"Knowledge is food for thought so I wisely swallow."

:( The stats are saddening. Suicide is selfish you only hurt the people who love you. Plus you get to spend an eternity in hell for the terrible sin.

"Knowledge is food for thought so I wisely swallow."

is this a rule I don't know about? I don't think suicide is a good idea, but to be fair....there are wost things in life than death.

is this a rule I don't know about? I don't think suicide is a good idea, but to be fair....there are wost things in life than death.

actually blitz, some religions condemn suicide as a sin (Buddhism, Catholicism are two that I am aware of but anyone can correct me if I'm wrong :D ) Basically, their logic is you're selfish, don't treasure life (an insult to your mom who carried you for 9 months), etc...

Suicide statistics don't affect you until one of those numbers is a loved one...
That is all I was trying to say...

Suicide statistics don't affect you until one of those numbers is a loved one...
That is all I was trying to say...

I agree with you. There are few things that can be more confusing and difficult for those left behind. My wife's family went through this recently, and it is a unique kind of loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.