NYU tiers all four years? On transcripts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

souljah1

Attending
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I interviewed at NYU back December. Recently I have heard that during all four years of school students are ranked into 5 tiers. The curriculum is P/F and HP/P/F, but everyone is put into tiers that go onto your transcript. I would really like to know if this is true or not. They seemed to have a covert competitive aura about them, but all I was told was that it is P/F. If this is true, my opinion of their program will change.

If anyone KNOWS if this is true, please post. And any of you who are going to interview there in these last weeks please ask someone about it. I would greatly appreciate it.

The hotter the battle the sweeter the victory

Members don't see this ad.

it's true, but no one talks about it. so sssssssshhhhhh!

That is sooooooo Lame!

They are punks to not come out and inform applicants of that. I think that tier bull-ism promotes competitive classrooms. I am all about the P=MD so lets get together and be family curriculum. WE all want to learn, we all will study. No need to grade us for classes. The boards and our clerkship marks will distinguish us as we apply for residencies.

This fact alone changes everything..

Members don't see this ad :)
*%&^!!!

hell, i GO to NYU and this is the first I've heard of it. I guess it must be true, because it would explain a lot of behavior. I was wondering why the folks here were so competitive. I'm from California so I thought it was just a New York thing (being a jerk)

Dammit. If I had known that, then I would have studied harder the last 2 years. Argh..

wait, are you serious? do you actually go to nyu and not know that your school ranks?

wow!!

I am being totally serious. I thought my classmates were jerks because they're New Yorkers in med school. It didn't occur to me that they had an academic incentive. I wrote off most of them and hang out with the other California expatriates.

Oh well. I guess my board scores will make up for it.

Um. The school is good. Really. =)

uhm.... Almost all schools rank their students somehow (top 1/4, second 1/4 or top 1/3 middle 1/3 and bottom 1/3, etc. etc.) no matter they are h/p/f or p/f. They need that in order to write the dean's letter in support of your residency! This is not limited to NYU AT ALL. You will be hard pressed to find a school that does not do class rank at all and they all seem to take some consideration of your basic science grades. But of course, the deans also say that the basic science grades will count the least in the letters they write. They count clinical year grades much more. Board score also count a lot! Then comes the basic science grades.

Also, for AOA honor society purpose, they do need class ranks in order to determine who can be inducted. And basic science grades are important in deciding who get nominated because AOA process gets started in the 3rd year when pretty much only basic sciences grades have been completed.

i am a 1st year at NYU, and this is the first i've heard of this, but i say- who cares? i certainly don't care if i'm in the last tier for all of my 1st year classes. i'm passing. my anatomy scores aren't going to make much of a difference in residency applications. we get graded for clinical clerkships, and these (+ board scores, letters, research) are what are going to help you out in obtaining your top residency. i have heard that NYU uses some 1st year scores for things like AOA consideration, but once again, clerkship and 2nd year classes are more important.

bud

p.s. the students in MY class don't seem too competitive...and those that do seem to have a certain ivy league tendency...

Based on what i've been told by various schools during various interviews, I'd have to agree with Thewonderer. Just a few examples here to illustrate . . . I specifically remember at one school, I was told that the rationale for NOT having P/F at the school was that they wanted the students to be fully aware of the grading system . . . because (in a slight knock on P/F schools) it was kinda shady that in actuality most schools that are P/F had hidden records, which were used for AOA and dean's recommendation letters for residencies. At another school, this one being P/F, I was told that they still had a tiered system that represented how "enthusiatically" a particular student was recommended for a residency in the dean's letter. At yet another school, although the motto was P=MD, the students told us on the tour that there was a tiered system during the basic sciences . . . some people chose to care, others didn't. I think it's kinda sketch that NYU chooses not to inform their students about how they are evaluated, if this is the case . . . however, from a system-wide perspective, this doesn't come as a big shocker.