NYU Tuition - Is it really this expensive?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBeans

MrBeans
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Im even willing to pay 500,000 so long as they accept me.... so IMO its not that expensive......

Maybe my shock is just because I haven't investigated costs in depth for a lot of schools.

However, 400-500K seems really high. :(

Paying that off could be accomplished, but I think it would take a very long time. If a recent grad was to open their own new practice, that could easily reach 600K with a new building, equipment, etc.

1+ million in debt seems mind boggling on paper.

At any rate, I'm still interested in interviewing at NYU, and will give it consideration! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm pretty sure you can shave down a bit of the living expenses if you tried.

eat 20 cent ramen packs every day :laugh:. You can probably get a room for cheaper than the estimate 2100 dollars a month, i hope...

eat 20 cent ramen packs every day :laugh:. You can probably get a room for cheaper than the estimate 2100 dollars a month, i hope...

Where there's a will, there's a way! :thumbup:
:cool:

live down in jersey city you will get everything including food for that month for 1500

Yikes. 400k. Military? Underserved area scholorship? I would one of the two if my debt breaks 200k - but it's a personal choice.

The cost of living estimate for the majority of schools are almost always much, much more than you'll need. I guess its better to be over than under on that. Of course, the interest rate on Grad Plus loans are pretty good compared to anything else you're gonna get, so you might as well take out the max even if you don't need it.

26,000 for room and board? 5000 for personal expenses? lol right. You can EEAASSIILLYY find apartments for <$1000 a month within 5-10 square miles of NYU. You can even find countless apartments in that distance that falls within the $600-900 range. You won't be living in a studio on the 30th floor of some skyscraper but who gives a crap. Food would also fall to around under $200 a month if you aren't a pig. Personal expenses is just random money they throw at you to boost up your gradplus loan amount.

Depending on your age when you get accepted, you can save the 2k a year on the health insurance for about 3 or so years if you qualify for your parents plan, which most students do. Instruments and Books estimates are always an overestimate as well, so realistically if you go through that entire list you can shave off about 15-20k each year, so itd only be about 330k or so for 4 years.

Just be glad you're beginning school now and not later. Tuition at dental schools is going up like 8% every damn year. I remember at the end of highschool 6 years ago NYU was the most expensive school and it was only like 250k for tuition and living for all 4 years. That was also when a 22AA on this forum was something amazing....

Last edited:

yeah cangnome, have you seen the sodium content in ramen packs? 1 pack is like 50% of your daily sodium intake LOL

die of high blood pressure and cardiovascular problems haha

haha i pay 2100 dollars a SEMESTER for my apt in western new york, and that's including all utilities and stuff

but as americanpierg said, these are all gross estimations kinda like the hotel list NYU had...the cheapest hotel was like 400 dollars! i found one 10 minutes walking distance from the college for 115.:laugh: and i know there are nice places in queens and other neighboring places like Long Island Park and Jersey City that you can get an apartment for muchhh cheaper, might be a train ride vs a walk but get a pass and who cares! :p

and for food, i think i spend 30 dollars a week on groceries here and i buy organic. i'll eff the organic when i have massive loans, but i really have no idea how much groceries in NYC cost...

I was looking at tuition prices at the NYU Website:

http://www.nyu.edu/dental/financialservices/tuitionfeesexpensesdds.html

Am I reading this correctly? The tuition and living expenses for NYU over 4 years is projected to be ~ $400,000 :thumbdown:eek:
dschool is expensive......if ur not willing to pay the cost...maybe u should stick with an ordinary career....education is an investment in your future......u will have no problem paying the debt back...guaranteed.....not something u (or anyone) should worry about.....money is always there to be made......there will always be more....and more.....and more...........

dschool is expensive......if ur not willing to pay the cost...maybe u should stick with an ordinary career....education is an investment in your future......u will have no problem paying the debt back...guaranteed.....not something u (or anyone) should worry about.....money is always there to be made......there will always be more....and more.....and more...........

:thumbup:

Just sticker shock I guess :p

You're right though. :idea:

I think one of the things that was concerning me about NYU was the cost of living. When I think of NYC, I think $$$.

I've never spent an extended period of time in the city, and I was really uncertain as to the cost. When I saw 36K I was a bit surprised.

But what's reassuring is that living expenses can be reasonably managed in NYU, like some of you were saying.

Overall, it's nice to know that we are all pretty young anyway, so we should have ample time to service the debt. :)

I'm excited to check NYU out in October! :love:

dental school is indeed expensive, so youve got to mentally prepare to be up to a million dollars in debt

private dental schools should cost us 350-400k total, and opening a clinic can be up to 700k according to my dentist.

dental school is indeed expensive, so youve got to mentally prepare to be up to a million dollars in debt

private dental schools should cost us 350-400k total, and opening a clinic can be up to 700k according to my dentist.

In the grand scheme of things, it really isn't that expensive. And when you look at it, at least the money will be spent towards something we will really enjoy doing for many years to come. :D:thumbup:

I can definitely say I will be trying to grab hold of any scholarships that I can reach. I just like the idea of keeping costs as minimal as possible, as I'm sure most of us believe.

I've been looking into the service corps and Army/Air Force options, too. :rolleyes:

I wonder if we'll all be gasping in the next couple decades. We'll have a student wanting to shadow us at our clinics, and they'll tell us that the tuition costs are about 2 million dollars for 4 years. :p

I wonder if we'll all be gasping in the next couple decades. We'll have a student wanting to shadow us at our clinics, and they'll tell us that the tuition costs are about 2 million dollars for 4 years. :p

LOL. I think at that time the president will be talking about education reform and how if it is not corrected, it will make our country broke.

In the grand scheme of things, it really isn't that expensive. And when you look at it, at least the money will be spent towards something we will really enjoy doing for many years to come. :D:thumbup:

I can definitely say I will be trying to grab hold of any scholarships that I can reach. I just like the idea of keeping costs as minimal as possible, as I'm sure most of us believe.

I've been looking into the service corps and Army/Air Force options, too. :rolleyes:

so true...life isn't suddenly going to get cheaper...it's on a fairly linear curve