NYU vs BU vs Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rigop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been researching these schools like crazy, from talking to dentists, dental students, and reading these forums and can not pick one over the others.

What are people's opinions on these schools? Pros and cons, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I am also stuck between NYU and Univ. At buffalo.. If any one has any good advise on some of the pros and cons for both schools, please let us know.

From what I understand, Tufts and NYU are very similar - in terms of costs, class size (even though NYU has 150 more students, they're both big), being in a major city, clinical-focused, beautiful facilities etc.

I think there are three major things that would have made the difference for me if I had to choose between the two:

1. NYU is very stressful. Every student I talked to there was having a hard time the first two years. My friend goes there and tell me about how the teachers aren't so accommodating and he'll have multiple tests in a day and he has long hours. In contrasts, Tufts seemed really really relaxed the first two years. None of them seemed to act like it was so stressful honestly.

2. Tufts has a specialty rate of 14%. NYU doesn't release their numbers, but I imagine it's around 10%. If that's important to you, 14% > 10%.

3. I haven't really had the chance to explore Boston too much, but to me it has a very different feel than New York. I personally prefer Boston, but you might prefer NY or not even care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I got accepted to NYU, waitlisted UDM, upcoming interviews at Minnesota and Boston U in January.
I already booked a flight to Minnesota so I have to go to that interview, but I am not going to BU interview.

I think I am going to choose NYU, even if I get accepted to UDM or Minnesota.
In terms of tuition, Minnesota's OOS tuition cost is actually higher than NYU's tuition.
NYU and UDM have similar tuition costs.
Because of high tuition, I do not think I am going to Minnesota.

In terms of clinical experience, I believe UDM and NYU both provide excellent clinical exposure to wide variety of patients. So, NYU and UDM are still similar.

However, in terms of 4 years of living condition and possibly longer, I choose NY over Detroit.
When I went to Detroit, it actually felt pretty safe and I really liked the relaxed environment. However, I still do not want to risk going to Detroit because after all, it is a dangerous city.
NYC was just amazing and full of energy. I was never a morning person but I think I can correct myself in the environment because I would have to adjust to the fast-paced environment. I actually wanted to challenge myself into adapting to a completely new environment.
Yes, the living cost will be significantly higher living in NY than Detroit. But, everyone will pay off debt eventually so I wouldn't worry about it. (This is just my opinion. I completely understand that having debt is very stressful and a huge factor in choose schools).

Oh, by the way, I am not going to BU interview because I think BU lacks patients. I have 3 close friends who go to BU and they told me that sometimes there is patient shortage because there are Tufts and Harvard dental schools.

Tdori--does the tuition cost at MN outweigh the living costs at NYU?

I interviewed at all three schools (NYU, BU, and Tufts). I am not attending any of these, however, If I hadn't gotten accepted to my state school I would have chosen TUFTS.

Here is my reasoning (this is simply my opinion, others may feel differently):

1) Tufts is cheaper than NYU. I know it comes close, but still, it is cheaper by 10,000-15,000$ a year.
2) Tufts is nicer than NYU in my opinion, and in a better area of town. It's right next to a T Station and right in downtown Boston with views of the city on many floors.
3) NYU has SO many people. Although Tufts has a lot too, I'd rather attend a school with 195 students than 300.
4) I think your living situation will be better at Tufts. Like some people said above, its extremely expensive just to have a small 1 bedroom apartment in NYC.

I can't really comment on BU nor NYU. 400 NYU vs ~200 students at Tufts. Transportation is very accessible. Also, loupe is not included in your tuition for NYU while for Tufts is.

Tdori--does the tuition cost at MN outweigh the living costs at NYU?

Tuition for Minnesota is $351676, whereas tuition for NYU is $313461. It's about $40,000 difference. So, at the end, tuition + living cost turn out to be similar for both cities.

sort of like asking do I want to get stabbed, shot, or run over by a car...each has their pro's and con's but in the end, I'd rather choose none of the above

Reactions: 1 user