NYU vs. BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kneecoal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know there was a similar thread, but i want my own :p

i thought i knew what i was doing (NYU all the way) but i'm starting to feel like i should think about it more! really my only choice is between the two:

NYU: yay
- facilities are top notch, plastination!
- invisalign certifiable after 2nd year
- it's nyc (and not too far from home)
- so many available resources and patients
NYU: nay
- huge class size
- block exams (this is becoming a biggie for me)

BU: yay
- smaller class size
- went to BU undergrad, familiar with the city
- APEX (though i'm kindof iffy)
- not block exams
BU: nay
- already been there 4 years
- facilities kindof old
- ex is on the same campus (a bigger factor than you might think)

does anyone have anything else to add? eep.

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone have anything else to add? eep.
already been there 4 years- That should be a positive, like you mentioned above. Boston can't be a city you get tired of in 4 years. And your familiar with it. That will lessen your stress when school starts.

- ex is on the same campus (a bigger factor than you might think)- Haha, must have been a bad break-up. You're in dental school and have a promising future. He's not part of it. Ignore him, unless you two have stayed friends, which doesn't sound like the case.

- ex is on the same campus (a bigger factor than you might think)- Haha, must have been a bad break-up. You're in dental school and have a promising future. He's not part of it. Ignore him, unless you two have stayed friends, which doesn't sound like the case.

gah, you have no idea. it's been carrying on a year and a half after breaking up. it's a dramatic saga involving arranged marriages and mixed races but still having a hard time staying away from each other. i feel like going back is a recipe for more and continuing drama.

Members don't see this ad :)
gah, you have no idea. it's been carrying on a year and a half after breaking up. it's a dramatic saga involving arranged marriages and mixed races but still having a hard time staying away from each other. i feel like going back is a recipe for more and continuing drama.
If I was in your situation, I would have only considered 2 things: price and how desperate you are in trying to stay away from your ex bf. Other things don't matter that much.

If the families have gotten too involved and you feel like it's something you cannot change, then go to NYU. I would have suggested NYU in the first place for the reasons you mentioned and it has a better reputation, from what I have heard at least. I am not advocating that your decision be made based on relationship drama. But if you feel like it could really affect you in the future stay away from it.

If I was in your situation, I would have only considered 2 things: price and how desperate you are in trying to stay away from your ex bf. Other things don't matter that much.

i feel like the price difference between these 2 schools isn't all that different, so i wasn't really going to consider it

If the families have gotten too involved and you feel like it's something you cannot change, then go to NYU. I would have suggested NYU in the first place for the reasons you mentioned and it has a better reputation, from what I have heard at least. I am not advocating that your decision be made based on relationship drama. But if you feel like it could really affect you in the future stay away from it.

i don't know why but i'm just the thought of block finals is stressing me out already! i just got an email back from a D1 there and he said a lot of the students pulled 2-3 all nighters for their first week of finals that was 3 in one week. next week it's 3 finals all piled into one. as far as i know, BU just does it unit by unit and that layout seems much more doable for me. but is that the main thing i should go on?

i feel like the price difference between these 2 schools isn't all that different, so i wasn't really going to consider it
Then you should go to NYU. Personal matters getting in the way of studying could be detrimental imho.

the block exams arent that bad. I go to nyu and granted when you are studying for them you're pretty stressed out but not more so than if you were studying for 5 finals in one week at least with the block you have a whole week to pace yourself and then take the exam at the end of the week. just depends on what kind of student you are if you study throughout the semester you'll do fine if you dont your prob wont.

Congrats on your acceptances to New York and Boston. :) If I had the choice of choosing between the two I would pick New York, b/c it is cheaper and the facilities are newer and more advanced.

shwedly new york is 10K more than boston not to mention housing in manhattan is ridic...southend real-estate in boston is also pricey but not as bad as manhattan

Last edited:
i have kinda the same situation but i have to choose between BU and Howard.. what you guys think? .. by the way i heard both NYU and BU are good schools tho