Buccaneer123

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I got into both schools, and I can't decide. I want to specialize afterwards, and I've been told that it's easier at BU. Any input?

And I keep hearing NYU sucks, but I went there and have spoken to people that go there and I really didn't see anything wrong with it. They don't cut 20% of their class, I asked the director point blank.

Mackchops

Toothy grin
15+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2003
San Antonio
www.uthscsa.edu
Status
Dentist
One thing to consider when choosing a school if you want to specialize (other than boards prep and gpa) is how much time you have to explore your specialty of interest. I'm not sure how long clinic sessions run at BU, but at NYU we see 2 patients a day (and 3 every other Friday) for 2 hours each. Most schools schedule patients for 3 or even 4 hour appointments. This initially means more stress because you have to be quicker sooner (it took me 45 minutes just to get the rubber dam on my first salivating patient with a non-typodont dentition) but gives you more time in the day to shadow in the specialty clinics or spend some time in one of the many nearby private dental offices or hospitals. Additionally, if you choose not to specialize, NYU has a great reputation among GPRs because we graduate able to do quadrant dentistry in a reasonable (for a new graduate) amount of time.

I think NYU has shaken off the dust and is now a solid choice for students considering specialty training, GPR/AEGD, or getting an associateship. PM me if you have any questions.

angelnyc89

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
NYU. When you were at NYUCD did you speak to current D students? What did they say? How did they feel about the school? Do they think they are prepared for the licensing exam? etc.

Daurang

10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2006
Status
Dentist
I think they both s*cks equally. I'd pick NYU because there are many cheap halal carts just outside the school's door to comfort myself the next four miserable years.

gundam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
I got into both schools, and I can't decide. I want to specialize afterwards, and I've been told that it's easier at BU. Any input?

And I keep hearing NYU sucks, but I went there and have spoken to people that go there and I really didn't see anything wrong with it. They don't cut 20% of their class, I asked the director point blank.

Go to NYU. They got a new dean who seems to be wanting to make positive changes on their education.