NYU vs. Columbia, help out a west coast girl!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

baby doc j

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, loooong time lurker here. I am out on the interview trail and have finished my East coast tour. I am having the hardest time and would love any of the locals advice; what is the word on the street in terms of NYU vs. Columbia. I definitely got the "we are impressive" stand off-ish vibe at columbia, but did enjoy the time out with the residents. NYU I just couldn't get a feel for at all, but liked the PD and assistant PD much better.....which program do you prefer and why? Thanks in advance 🙂 🙂
 
Hi babydocj,

My question to is...what is it you are looking for in a program? (Of course this is not for you say if you dont want to)

Both programs are very strong programs. I have gone to my Columbia interview. NYU is in Jan. Anyway, I thought Columbia gave me the same feeling. However they have earned that 'impressive' title. They are in a wonderful location (washington heights) which exposes you to a great patient population (diversified socioeconomic status as well as ethnic background). You will definitely get your bread and butter cases as well as the rare cases. ( I live in harlem...7min commute)

The residents appeared happy but I also know for a fact (my info coming from a resident who went to med school with me)that many of them really dont hang out as it appeared when during the time out.

All in all, I guess I am saying...you have to assess whats more important to you. For me its the atmosphere (academic with down-to-earth people) Because I felt that my experience yielded conflicting views, I plan to go for a second look. If thats feasible for you then perhaps you can consider it.

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you. 🙂