NYU vs. Columbia, help out a west coast girl!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baby doc j

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, loooong time lurker here. I am out on the interview trail and have finished my East coast tour. I am having the hardest time and would love any of the locals advice; what is the word on the street in terms of NYU vs. Columbia. I definitely got the "we are impressive" stand off-ish vibe at columbia, but did enjoy the time out with the residents. NYU I just couldn't get a feel for at all, but liked the PD and assistant PD much better.....which program do you prefer and why? Thanks in advance :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi babydocj,

My question to is...what is it you are looking for in a program? (Of course this is not for you say if you dont want to)

Both programs are very strong programs. I have gone to my Columbia interview. NYU is in Jan. Anyway, I thought Columbia gave me the same feeling. However they have earned that 'impressive' title. They are in a wonderful location (washington heights) which exposes you to a great patient population (diversified socioeconomic status as well as ethnic background). You will definitely get your bread and butter cases as well as the rare cases. ( I live in harlem...7min commute)

The residents appeared happy but I also know for a fact (my info coming from a resident who went to med school with me)that many of them really dont hang out as it appeared when during the time out.

All in all, I guess I am saying...you have to assess whats more important to you. For me its the atmosphere (academic with down-to-earth people) Because I felt that my experience yielded conflicting views, I plan to go for a second look. If thats feasible for you then perhaps you can consider it.

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you. :)