NYU vs. Columbia: MHC masters program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jiji7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are your opinions on which mental health counseling program is better?

how are you weighing your decision?

Members don't see this ad.

No one has a comment? I feel bad that your question has gone unanswered. I had been considering applying to both those programs so I will answer your question from my knowledge of my friends that are in both programs right now.

I heard that the NYU program is smaller than Teachers College, so I think you'd get more individual attention. However, I've heard that the faculty quality changes from prof. to prof., and that you have to try and get the "right" classes. I've also heard the sentient system of NYU, i.e., lots of red tape, disorganized departments, etc., which could make you feel a bit lost. To be fair, I'm sure that happens in most programs, but still. I've also heard that NYU training is more psychoanalytic. The one friend I talked to about it really loved her experience thus far and called it "life changing."

As for Teachers College, I have two friends in that program right now, and so far I haven't heard any complaints and I know one of my friends really likes it. The program is larger, so you could end up feeling more like a number. They are also heavily into multiculturalism. I had one friend tell me, "as a white female, you will be told that you are racist in some classes." Definitely a different experience than what you might encounter at NYU.

If you already know what kind of training you'd value more, it should help you make the decision. Otherwise, I would be happy to have the choice between programs; I'm sure either will give you solid training to become a licensed mental health counselor in the end. Best of luck!

Yeah, I know of someone who got her master's at Columbia and emphasized multiculturalism. She went on to specialize her research in that domain. If you're not interested in studying race relations, I would steer clear of that program.

Yeah, I know of someone who got her master's at Columbia and emphasized multiculturalism. She went on to specialize her research in that domain. If you're not interested in studying race relations, I would steer clear of that program.

You really don't believe I can focus on other areas than simply race relations? I find that hard to believe. I see that most faculty has an interest in multiculturalism, but others have backgrounds in marriage, family, children...etc.