nyu vs columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dj phin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if u had to chose between nyu and columbia and money was not an issue, where would you go? nyu has more opportunities for clinical experience and its reputation is on the rebound. on the other hand, columbia has the academic reputation and is a solid stepping stone to specializing. columbia's location is bad and nyu's is great.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by dj phin
if u had to chose between nyu and columbia and money was not an issue, where would you go? nyu has more opportunities for clinical experience and its reputation is on the rebound. on the other hand, columbia has the academic reputation and is a solid stepping stone to specializing. columbia's location is bad and nyu's is great.
Oi Vey Here we go again
Do you want to specialize?

If yes go to Columbia, you get a broader science background. Which will help you on the boards. You'll get to learn clinical skills in residency anyway. Just consider it a 5 year program (minimum)

If no go to NYU, they'll teach you Clinical skills to make you an excelent GP

Neighborhood in Columbia is fine, it's not Harlem by any means. I don't think location is an issue. You can specialize from either school if you work hard. So it comes down to 2 things 1) money 2) specialize?

thanks speter. your answer was actually very enlightening and helped me a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone heard from columbia recently?

has anyone heard from columbia recently?
Why what's your status there? did you interview recently?

yes, i interviewed a few weeks ago and im eagerly waiting for their response. its a great school.

yes, i interviewed a few weeks ago and im eagerly waiting for their response. its a great school.
when did you interview? I was interviewing there Dec 12th myself. I called them wed and they said the secretary still hasn't mailed out the letters. She might do it friday for this batch

i interviewed last week actually-last round of interviews apparently. i guess it will be another weekend in suspense.

i just received notification that i was placed on the alternate list at columbia....i wonder what my chances are?

i just received notification that i was placed on the alternate list at columbia....i wonder what my chances are?
How did you receive the notification? mail, e-mail, phone? I can't believe you got a response so soon. I interviewed a week before you and still nothing.

i got a letter. i guess i should not focus on going to columbia anymore. quite dissapointing, but not the end of the world. i am happy with nyu.