NYU VS Einstien

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrooklynDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey a friend of mine basically has a choice between the two, NYU or Einstein, so I was wondering if anyone can give feedback regarding the two programs.
Thanks for your time all...

Members don't see this ad.

First of all let me say I'm biased because I'm a current NYU student...but I'd say definitely NYU. The main reason IMO is NYU is in the middle of Manhattan...Einstein is in a kind of run-down neighborhood in the Bronx. At NYU you have easy access to all the great things about Manhattan, you can go out to bars and shows and it's very convenient and NYU students have a great social life. I don't have anything against Einstein as a school, but it's a much less desirable environment to live in. They do have great housing there though, and it's cheap. I also think (and this is JUST MY OPINION) that NYU is slightly better in terms of academic quality than Einstein, but the difference is small enough that it wouldn't make any real difference in terms of your education. The main reason to choose NYU, in my opinion, is for the lifestyle and the area. On the other hand, if you're planning on having children during medical school or if living in a nice apartment is really important to you than Einstein is probably a better choice as they have more students with children and nicer (and cheaper) housing. But it is a good distance (45-50 minutes) from Manhattan and to me at least that was an important consideration. Not bashing Einstein here, it's an excellent school, just located in a not-so-nice area but that won't affect the education you receive there. It just depends on what you want and your priorities.

I agree with the above post. I chose Einstein mostly for lifestyle/housing issues. Manhattan is a really cool place to visit, I just didn't want to live there because my wife works in the suburbs. If I were single, I probably would have chosen NYU back then. I'm very happy with the education I received, but NYU generally has a better reputation. The Bronx takes a little getting used to, but Einstein is in one of the nicer sections. Our patient population is very challenging.... but that's probably our greatest strength.

Academically, both are excellent schools. Both will give you broad clinical experiences especially with Bellevue (NYU) and Jacobi (Einstein).

I graduated from NYU med, however I did spend 1 summer doing research at Albert Einstein during college.

If you are lucky enough to have a choice, congratulations. All the private NYC schools are excellent and I would challenge anyone who tells you that going to one over another will give you an advantage, it really is not true.

However some factors to consider regarding Einstein, the neighborhood, while safe is quiet/boring. The summer I spent there I always tried to flee that part of the bronx. That however may be an advantage for you as it could provide less distractions. The housing situation at Einstein was poor, the residential towers were very cheap but very run down. The AC and elevators broke every week during my summer there! NYU's Rubin dorm is also pretty poor, however after suffering there a year, you could move into nice 3 bedroom apartment in Greenberg across the street (i loved it there). The benefit of living in the bronx though, living off campus is entirely possible due to lower rent.

Also the clinical sites affiliated with Einstein are all over the bronx and some in other borroughs (sp?) My friends complained about the hastle as they had to take car services to get to their hospitals as only Einstein and JAcobi are within walking distance. NYU is great as Tisch, Bellevue, the VA, and HJD are all close.

A major difference between the schools is the academic push of the schools. NYU is a more research driven school where most of the students (85% in my class) participated in research and few went into primary care activities. A large % of students at NYU end up in academics. I dont know if that is a product of the students they take or the curriculum they are exposed to. Einstein is very primary care oriented, they have a family practice rotation (absent at NYU). Looking at the match lists, more Einstein students do primary care specialties. I had a friend who chose Einstein for this reason as she felt she would be better prepared to be a PCP.

Hope this helps