NYU vs. Hopkins vs. Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school?

• NYU

• Hopkins

• Yale

• UCLA

Results are only viewable after voting.

seesaw12

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I know that there have been a few similar posts, but I was looking to also get some help/have people to think this through with. I was very fortunate to have been accepted to amazing programs but am very indecisive. I haven’t really had anyone to talk to about this, so any help is greatly appreciated.

My career goals are to match into a surgical/procedural subspecialty (not sure which one, but most interested in ENT, plastics, or Interventional Rads). I hope to also be in a mixture of clinical practice plus academia and/or industry (startup/tech) on the side as I would enjoy doing things outside just clinical practice.

NYU (~20k/year)
Pros
  • NYC seems like a fantastic place to live in for 4 years, I love big cities and a part of me feels very drawn to this idea (though not sure if I’ll even have time to enjoy it)
  • Seems like great support based on communication with prospective students
  • Patient population seems the most diverse in NYC
  • New curriculum--1 year preclinical and dedicated time for individual exploration
  • Kinda like the idea of dorm-style living in Vilcek
  • Possibility to do MD/MBA with Stern, potentially in 4 years with new curriculum
Cons
  • Questionable “ranking”? Not sure if I care but maybe a little part of me does
  • Graded preclinicals(?)--talked to some students who said the internal ranking doesn’t matter
  • Will have to pay but not too worried about total debt, I’d still be very blessed to have only 80k debt

Hopkins (Full COA)
Pros
  • Prestige and historical name in medicine
  • Probably the best bet to match into surgery
  • Probably best choice for academia if I decide to work towards it
  • As someone else in another thread said: “Who gives up a full ride to Hopkins?!”
  • Possibility of P/F for clinicals
Cons
  • Not sure about Baltimore, will know more after I visit soon (a lot of mixed opinions from people I’ve talked to)
  • Some students seemed…stressed or unhappy-ish?
  • Clinicals seem tough
  • Seems like a lot of class/mandatory small groups
  • MD/MBA not popular/not strong

Yale (~10k/year)
Pros
  • Seemed the most chill, students seemed very close -- not gunner-y
  • Based on # of honors given, whole curriculum is practically P/F
  • Possibility for stronger MBA, which could be more useful for industry
  • Big emphasis on individual exploration/goals with the Yale System
Cons
  • New Haven seemed a bit small for me coming from LA
  • Seems like a decent portion of students take an extra research year to match, which is something I wouldn’t mind but would hope to avoid
  • An M4 this year said that several students didn't match and had to SOAP? Not sure if this is common/concerning or not

UCLA (~60k/year)
Pros
  • From SoCal, I get to stay close to friends/family
  • Weather
  • Alma mater and am close with professors in med/engineering school
  • New curriculum--I like the idea of 1 year preclinical and dedicated time for individual exploration
Cons
  • Probably withdrawing right now because expensive
  • Don’t get to experience living somewhere else/another state, since I’m hoping to eventually match/live in California

Summary:
Most important things to me are probably matching into surgery, ability to pursue my “ideal” career, and being happy over the next 4 years. Location and lifestyle are probably at NYU/Yale, but career and cost seem better at Hopkins.

Thank you for any and all help!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hopkins because of cost + if you eventually want a competitive surgical specialty like plastics, you will thank yourself in 4 years for going w hopkins

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Quick clarification we don't have graded preclinicals at NYU it's pass/fail. They use our exam averages as part of AOA selection as far as I'm aware but we aren't actually "ranked." Also many students really don't care about AOA anyways.

That being said, cost wise Hopkins is the way to go. Prestige chasing isnt always the best move in my opinion, but if you feel that will be the best move for you're future goals go for it. Also, you can probs finesse NYU in to full COA, if you tell them you're considering Hopkins and this is the next best choice financially and you like the idea of being in NYC. But again, totally up to you. Regardless, you'll end up doing great! And make the right choice for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick clarification we don't have graded preclinicals at NYU it's pass/fail. They use our exam averages as part of AOA selection as far as I'm aware but we aren't actually "ranked." Also many students really don't care about AOA anyways.

That being said, cost wise Hopkins is the way to go. Prestige chasing isnt always the best move in my opinion, but if you feel that will be the best move for you're future goals go for it. Also, you can probs finesse NYU in to full COA, if you tell them you're considering Hopkins and this is the next best choice financially and you like the idea of being in NYC. But again, totally up to you. Regardless, you'll end up doing great! And make the right choice for you.
Thank you!!

How have your experiences in NYC been? Is there anything you wish you knew when you were making this decision a few years ago?

Reactions: 1 user
Hopkins, dear god! I went to Hopkins undergrad, and yes there are some bad streets and bad alleyways. As long as you aren‘t walking around some place sketchy in the middle of the night, you should be fine. Also, if you are wearing scrubs, you are generally safer and will not get bothered. IDK why it is, but it is something that is just known for at least Baltimore. I would say, do not give up a full ride to Hopkins because of the area because it is not as bad as some people make it out to be! PM me if you have any specific concerns.

• Love
For reputation and future matching I'd cut down to Hopkins or Yale. Full COA at the university whose name is synonymous with medicine is pretty hard to turn down and they're investing heavily in making a little health-tech hub around the medical school. MBA is definitely weaker overall than Yale's, though you'd make solid healthcare connections and overall I think there's more value in doing the MBA in residency rather than medical school if you can (often paid for and you're much closer to using the connections). Yale's curriculum will give you a lot more time for non-medical school stuff if that's your primary goal.

Overall it sounds like you want to be a surgeon-plus. If you want to be a SURGEON-plus, I'd say Hopkins. If you want to be a surgeon-PLUS I'd go Yale.

For reputation and future matching I'd cut down to Hopkins or Yale. Full COA at the university whose name is synonymous with medicine is pretty hard to turn down and they're investing heavily in making a little health-tech hub around the medical school. MBA is definitely weaker overall than Yale's, though you'd make solid healthcare connections and overall I think there's more value in doing the MBA in residency rather than medical school if you can (often paid for and you're much closer to using the connections). Yale's curriculum will give you a lot more time for non-medical school stuff if that's your primary goal.

Overall it sounds like you want to be a surgeon-plus. If you want to be a SURGEON-plus, I'd say Hopkins. If you want to be a surgeon-PLUS I'd go Yale.
Do residency programs typically pay for other degrees? Is it feasible to do another degree while doing residency? I had never heard of this and am curious what it looks like if you don't mind expanding on your comment.

Congrats on such great choices! I think Hopkins with full COA is an opportunity you will always look back on if you don't take it... the rest can come later I think

• Love
Do residency programs typically pay for other degrees? Is it feasible to do another degree while doing residency? I had never heard of this and am curious what it looks like if you don't mind expanding on your comment.
Similar to MD/MBA it's highly dependent on the school and program. It's equivalent to taking a research year during residency, and some programs have them built in (often billed as a "leadership track"), some you can apply for, some are part of admin fellowship, and others you'd have to propose from scratch. It's most common in IM and general surgery at my institution, but others sometimes pursue it.