1. We will be performing maintenance on the SDN forums on Friday, December 9 at 5:00 AM Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice

NYU vs. Hunter DPT?

Discussion in 'Pre-Physical Therapy' started by NYPTstudent, 01.14.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. NYPTstudent

NYPTstudent

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Hi,

I have been accepted to both Hunter and NYU and will make a decision very soon. Any advice as these are both incredible programs? Take away price for a moment…

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. james91091

james91091 2+ Year Member

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    NYU seems to have a better facility and association with the hospital

4. BrokenDancer

BrokenDancer 2+ Year Member

Physical Therapy Student
    How does the commute differ for you? Also check out their clinical affiliations. If I remember correctly, Hunter has great affiliations as well and said they often compete with NYU students. Who has more time in clinical or shorter but more numerous sessions? Also try to compare the curriculum (does one school focus on neuro or ortho and how does that align with your interests), opportunity for electives and specializations, how much research is emphasized (and if you want that) and how well regarded the faculty is. Finally, ask about job placement and where students tend to end up - are they competitive for residencies or getting jobs at great facilities or where they did clinicals and ending up in the setting they want or getting stuck taking whatever comes along?

5. matt1113

matt1113 2+ Year Member

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    I interviewed at NYU on December 6th but have not heard anything back yet. When did you hear from them regarding your acceptance??

6. NYPTstudent

NYPTstudent

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    I heard from NYU in December right before the holidays and just found out from Hunter.

7. NYPTstudent

NYPTstudent

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Thank you for all of these tips, I will keep this in mind and make a decision soon.

8. schwartzy55

schwartzy55

Did you receive an acceptance letter in the mail or did you find out by other means of communication?

9. NYPTstudent

NYPTstudent

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    I received an email from NYU and got a call from Hunter, then an email.

10. schwartzy55

schwartzy55

I gotcha. Think it's bad that I haven't heard anything yet?

11. NYPTstudent

NYPTstudent

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Well, you never know because they may still make decisions. Did you apply to other schools?

12. schwartzy55

schwartzy55

w

13. futurept123

futurept123

DPT / OTD
    Congratulations on being accepted! How long did it take for NYU to get back to you after your interview?

14. schwartzy55

schwartzy55

Did you not hear back either?

15. futurept123

futurept123

DPT / OTD
    No I haven't but I only interviewed a few days ago, I'm just feeling anxious and was curious what a normal wait time was. Is it pretty common to get interviewed at NYU and then get rejected?

16. schwartzy55

schwartzy55

No idea this was my first time applying and interviewing at NYU. What date did you interview?

17. futurept123

futurept123

DPT / OTD
    I interviewed this past Saturday the 18th, you?

18. schwartzy55

schwartzy55

Oh wow didn't know they were still interviewing. I interviewed back on 12/6 and haven't heard anything, although I know students that got accepted a week and a half after that date. I'd say a week and a half is the limit. I'm not sure why I haven't heard yet, but I'm hoping it doesn't mean a rejection - it may just take them more time with borderline applicants or something...at least that's what I'm hoping. Anyways, you should be fine if you haven't heard yet.

19. schwartzy55

schwartzy55

Oh wow didn't know they were still interviewing. I interviewed back on 12/6 and haven't heard anything, although I know students that got accepted a week and a half after that date. I'd say a week and a half is the limit. I'm not sure why I haven't heard yet, but I'm hoping it doesn't mean a rejection - it may just take them more time with borderline applicants or something...at least that's what I'm hoping. Anyways, you should be fine if you haven't heard yet.

20. futurept123

futurept123

DPT / OTD
    Thank you so much for that info. I've heard that NYU doesn't do an official wait list so I would say not hearing anything probably means you're still being considered. I wish you the best of luck!

21. schwartzy55

schwartzy55

That's what I'm hoping. Good luck to you as well!

About the ads